Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By jeffnolan
  • 2 Post By Ozzie Goat
  • 1 Post By BDR_Boy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Service & Repair Specifications

Hello Everyone.

My original intention was to have a car built by VMS but I came upon and purchased a very low miles Backdraft with a Roush 427r that was built in 2013. I purchased a Backdraft because it is a car I can work on myself without having to run to a dealer everytime something goes wrong. I am a little dismayed at the lack of documentation available relating to the service and repair of these cars. The binder that comes with the car is pretty limited. I can probably figure most of it myself but it would be nice to have information like exploded views, torque specs R&R info and other such items. Any ideas where these things might be available? Thanks in advance. I enjoy reading these threads.

Fred
Old 10-16-2018, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

Welcome to Backdraft, who’s corporate tagline should be “go figure it out, we’re busy”.

There are a lot of knowledgeable (and helpful) people here. The cars themselves are not complicated, basically a mix of stuff Backdraft engineered and components they buy from other manufacturers (or in the secondary market). For the latter, you can usually find OEM documentation online, and for the Backdraft pieces, ask around. The electrical system is the most frustrating to work with because Backdraft changes it over time and never seems to update the schematics.

1) Don’t look to Backdraft for help on anything
2) Take full advantage of online resources, here and elsewhere
3) Build your own documentation over time and be a resource for other people
spdbrake, BDR_Boy and FredG like this.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

It's like CLUE and the Telephone Game combined.
Without the member participants on this site, I don't see how you can keep these cars on the road.
VMS bailed me out more than once, but they should be focused on whole car sales - new and used, not real - unreal.
spdbrake and BDR_Boy like this.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the family.

I would echo what jeffnolan said. Turning to BDR for answers to questions… or for a part… is a last resort for me. Many times, the exact same part can usually be found for less money elsewhere. I’ll only turn to BDR for a part IF the part is proprietary to them.

In addition, I’ve taken the owner’s manual… and have been adding to it with vehicle specific information over time. Initially, I crawled ALL over the car noting part numbers anywhere I could find them… and I was pretty tenacious about locating and documenting them. I also downloaded service manuals for my transmission (Tremec TKO500), carb (Holley 4160), heads (AFR), ignition module (MSD), Vintage Air ComPac Heater, etc… ANYTHING I could find specific info on… and have included those in my manual. Anything I add to the car or modify… gets the same treatment.

As I discover interchangeable part numbers (many of which I’ve gotten from searching these forums) I document those as well.

For exploded views and torque values on some of the components… I found a Haynes manual for BMW 3 Series 1992-1998 (including Z3 models) to be helpful. If I had Wilwood brakes… I would add a copy of their documentation to my manual… stuff like that. I even went so far as to have Finish Masters scan the paint… create a perfect match for touch up paint… and provide me with the “recipe” to recreate the colors and included that in my manual too.

In the end… it’s my hope I’ll have an owner’s manual that will be vehicle specific and a wealth of information… not only for me… but for whoever else may own the car after me. That’s part of the hobby and… for me anyways… is an added value.
Ozzie Goat likes this.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the responses. Sort of what I figured. This forum seems to be very helpful and full of info. I did take a trip up to VMS and met Jay as was my original intention to buy a car from VMS. He was very down to earth and very helpful. Thanks again.