Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PHMCobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2018, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Factory Five
Not Ranked     
Default BDR won’t start

I bought a new Backdraft this summer and an now having trouble getting it started. Motor is the Iconic 427 with the holly carb. I’ve got spark everywhere I check ie coil, distributor and at each plug. Plugs are wet, so fuel isn’t an issue other than I may be flooding it. I get no sputttering at all when it turns over. Smell of fuel is present. Motor has about 500 miles. When it started in the past it runs great. It has been sitting about 2 weeks since the last time it ran. Last time it finally started, but I don’t know what I did that got it going
I wanted to take it out today for maybe the last time this year as winter is coming. Also it is stored in a heated garage. Any ideas where it begin? This should be really simple but I’m stumped. Thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, you need spark, fuel and compression.
You checked spark and fuel so far.

A blown head gasket can lower compression
enough to prevent starting.

Could be a vacuum leak.

Cracked distributor cap letting in moisture.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Remove the plugs and clean them. Disc brake cleaner or lacquer thinner works good.
Before you reinstall the plugs spin the motor over to clear out the gas.

Check the gap on the plugs.
Look at the choke to see if it's in the correct position.

Remove air filter, reinstall plugs, see if it will crank.

Some motor take a lot of gas to start. A few will flood easily. You just have to learn what you motor likes.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

Similar problem with starting my Cobra (BDR 1360, Roush 427, 550 HP with Holley Carb). The Cobra ran fine for 700+/- miles and then was hard to start. One morning, the car did not start immediately. Upon pumping the petal many times, the car would start and all ran fine. However, I did smell gasoline in the engine compartment. I opened the hood and noticed gas puddling in the in the intake manifold. Further inspection found the problem was a stripped bolt/thread in one the four screws that hold the front carburetor bowl together. The leak was small, but drained the gas from the bowl over time. Bolt/thread fixed and all is good. Check front bowl for a leak! Hope this helps.
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:08 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

What distributor do you have?
What coil or coil pack do you have?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MSD distributor, coil and ignition box. Light is on on the box. All these appear to be functioning correctly.

Last edited by DaveStec; 11-24-2018 at 06:15 AM..
Old 11-24-2018, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I would check to see if the fuel bowls are leaking down, I had fuel pooling on the intake found gasket(seal) dried out and cracked , new seals fixed mine .
Old 11-25-2018, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Have you removed the air cleaner top to verify fuel delivery ?
You say the plugs were wet, Did you pull them all and dry them ?
You said there is spark at every plug, but is it there at the right time? Ck with timing light.
Did you ck the dist cap for moisture, carbon tracking, center contact worn/ missing?
Last time mine would't start, found cap full of moisture.
I seem to recall a BDR we had with the same problem and symptoms. Finally just threw in a new dist module and that cured it.
You can have spark when you check it externally, no compression pressure to overcome, but cranking the engine, the cyl pressure may kill the spark. If the module doesn't do the job, you'll have the spare MSD part that everyone should carry !
Old 11-25-2018, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got it started. I checked fuel bowl levels, they were a little higher than I thought they should be looking through the sight glass in the side of the carb. Tried turning it over but not start. Before pulling more apart I grabbed my can of starting fluid and sprayed it into the manifold through the carb. Started right up and settled down nice. Took it for its last drive(going to snow today) and filled it with high octane no ethanol fuel. Drove great. No hesitation or stumbling. Just really cold with no top.
I’m thinking it may have been or still is bad fuel.