Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2019, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     
Default New Guy Here

Next week I am going to my local Backdraft dealer and starting the build process on a new Backdraft Cobra. As of right now I think I am just going to go with the Iconic 427 for the power plant. I would really like to get thoughts from other Backdraft owners as to what they wish they would have added to their builds but did not and the reasoning behind wanting it.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Welcome

I was going to order a brand new car. Had my heart set on it. Vintage would have been my choice of dealer. I was lucky enough to have found a 4 year old car that only had 1500 miles on it. The car had a lot of things I wanted but weren't going to get because they would have driven the price up into the cost prohibited range. Roush 427r, TKO 600, oil cooler, ceramic coated headers, Wilwood power braking, glove compartment and heater. Saved myself about 30k and didn't have to wait. Power steering seems to be the hot ticket although the purists frown on it. Shop a little. There are some very nice low mileage cars out there. Also, research if there might be potential registration problems bringing a used Backdraft into your state. I live in NJ and the car I found was also here. Car is titled now as 65 replica which means it follows 1965 guideline. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been looking at some low mileage used Cobra's but even the used I am finding are priced within a couple thousand of what I could build for so I figured I might as well just build it with the color and everything I want.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft cobra FE big bock
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
I have been looking at some low mileage used Cobra's but even the used I am finding are priced within a couple thousand of what I could build for so I figured I might as well just build it with the color and everything I want.
Yup, no kidding. Backdrafts hold their value pretty well. Especially clean cars...
I'll add this. I bought mine used with low miles and a 427fe for right at 60k. The car is an absolute animal. Great fun and scary fast. Id like to have a glove box, but dont. I do have the heater. It currently is not hooked up. I can see where it would come in handy. I also do not have snaps on the body for a top. I do like the cleaner look of no snaps, but in a way it would be nice to have an optional top. Mine is blue on white and I absolutely love the color combo....
Attached Images

Jaydee and ront49 like this.

Last edited by Soundkillr; 11-16-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Old 11-16-2019, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Stupid fast

I have raced cars and motorcycles here at Raceway Park but nothing compares to these things especially with the high horsepower engines. I have had my car for a little over a year and I will only put the peddle to the floor in third gear as it breaks the tires free in the lower gears and then it's hang on when those secondaries open. Absolutely thrilling. If you are going to splurge, do it on the motor.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
Yup, no kidding. Backdrafts hold their value pretty well. Especially clean cars...
I'll add this. I bought mine used with low miles and a 427fe for right at 60k. The car is an absolute animal. Great fun and scary fast. Id like to have a glove box, but dont. I do have the heater. It currently is not hooked up. I can see where it would come in handy. I also do not have snaps on the body for a top. I do like the cleaner look of no snaps, but in a way it would be nice to have an optional top. Mine is blue on white and I absolutely love the color combo....
Not to hyjack this thread, but Soundkillr can you post a couple of pics of the FE. I'm interested in the side clearances and height mainly. Considering it or a Ford Racing 460ci sbf for my next motor.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m6007z460fft/
Old 11-17-2019, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Not to hyjack this thread, but Soundkillr can you post a couple of pics of the FE. I'm interested in the side clearances and height mainly. Considering it or a Ford Racing 460ci sbf for my next motor.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m6007z460fft/
Sure thing. The site is limiting what I can upload but see if this helps. You can also pm me, ill get your email, and I can send you as many pics as you need. For some reason most of my topside pics wont load....

This particular set up runs the fe block with edlebrock performance heads and rpm intake manifold. Plenty of room on sides, but cant go much taller than a two inch air filter with the current oval air cleaner.
Attached Images

Jaydee, ront49 and FredG like this.

Last edited by Soundkillr; 11-17-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Old 11-17-2019, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shoot me a pm. I have several pics topside showing clearance but again, the site wont allow the uploads....
Old 11-17-2019, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Building almost always cost more and takes longer. Additionally a good used example should have most (a lot?) of the new car idiosyncrasies already worked out of it, saving you the time effort and money.

Depending on what's in the used market at any particular point in time you might just get more than you would have bought in a new purchase and conversely you might get less. Usually you can get more.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Have you looked on Cobra Country? There are a number of Backdraft cars there. That will give you an idea of what prices are being asked and also what other Backdrafts have sold for.

https://www.cobracountry.com/cobras-for-sale/

Cheers,
Glen
ront49 likes this.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Have you looked on Cobra Country? There are a number of Backdraft cars there. That will give you an idea of what prices are being asked and also what other Backdrafts have sold for.
… and there are other cars besides Backdraft.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice car. Same colors as mine. Engine fits in there pretty nice. What type of tires are those. The site is very quirky with picture uploads. You must make the size of the picture very small under 150kb or it rejects them.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Nice car. Same colors as mine. Engine fits in there pretty nice. What type of tires are those. The site is very quirky with picture uploads. You must make the size of the picture very small under 150kb or it rejects them.
The tires are goodyear eagle f1. Im pretty sure the previous owner replaced the original tires with these...
FredG likes this.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The F1s are what Backdraft used to deliver with.

I recommend checking the date codes to see their age.
https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/tire-dot-date-code/

Mine were 13 years old with less than 800 miles when I purchased my car. Rubber was hard as a Hockey Puck.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Rubber was hard as a Hockey Puck.
They were like that when they were new. Not a very "cold pavement cold tire" friendly tire. Essentially the same tire that was used on the first generation Shelby GG500 (2007) and the Ford GT (2005-6).
Old 11-18-2019, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I appreciate all the input. I have been looking for close to a year now hoping to come across a used one but nothing has come up in the color combo I want. This is definitely a car that I plan on driving quite regularly so I am really not into all the fancy interior options. As far as I am concerned I would rather splurge on the performance aspect of the vehicle. I will be sitting down and building it this coming Monday and I am getting pretty excited. I have already been told there will be a 3-4 month build time which I am fine with because the snow has already started to fall here in Northwest Missouri.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I appreciate all the input. I have been looking for close to a year now hoping to come across a used one but nothing has come up in the color combo I want. This is definitely a car that I plan on driving quite regularly so I am really not into all the fancy interior options. As far as I am concerned I would rather splurge on the performance aspect of the vehicle. I will be sitting down and building it this coming Monday and I am getting pretty excited. I have already been told there will be a 3-4 month build time which I am fine with because the snow has already started to fall here in Northwest Missouri.
Have you already purchased one?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB60 View Post
Have you already purchased one?
Going Monday to go over options and get the build process started.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What color combo are you looking for?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
What color combo are you looking for?
I emailed you.