Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hauss
  • 1 Post By Quentin Z

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2019, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Shocks......again

Hi everyone.

I always enjoy coming here to share info and to learn. So far everything I have gleaned from these forums and applied to my car has resulted in some nice upgrades. Here's my next inquiry. I know the subject of replacement shocks, ride height, spring tension and cross weight has been kicked around on here before and I have read a lot of the threads. I have read recommendations about replacing the stock rear KYB with a few different kinds of shocks depending upon whether you plan on doing serious racing or not which I don't. My car is 5 years old with low mileage and has a nice ride for just around town but the suspension is not up to par when I expect more out of it which I do often. The rear shock recommendation that seems to come up the most as a replacement for the rears is the KYB KG5529 Gas-a-Just Gas Shock. From what I have read, the original shocks in the back originate from 60s era VW's. Not exactly what I would have expected on a 550 hp car. I haven't seen too much info about front shock/strut upgrades though other than some racing options. Like I said I don't seriously race the car but there are times the stock suspension isn’t getting it done for me. All advice appreciated. Thanks

Fred
Old 12-20-2019, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I too would like a more supple suspension . Wish I had a answer for you I can tell you I went with kyb and got rid of the gabriels on the back. Also added about 1/2 " of ride height to both front and rear . made car a little better but still not satisfied with the suspension .
FredG likes this.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:10 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Start with the rear shocks and go from there. You'll be pleasantly surprised with that upgrade. We swap them on most builds.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Start with the rear shocks and go from there. You'll be pleasantly surprised with that upgrade. We swap them on most builds.
Could you elaborate just a little more ? That was a little vague .
Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
Could you elaborate just a little more ? That was a little vague .
I suggest you upgrade the rear shocks and see the improvement. If you are wanting more after that then we can offer up other opinions. The shock change alone will help considerably. It looks like you have an older car if it had Gabriels on it. You should also upgrade the front struts on an older car. From there you need to measure what spring rates are on it (varied over the years) and then make decisions there.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Mr. Cashburn
I followed your link but i'm not sure I follow your suggestion. My car is really old and shocks are one of my winter projects. If i just convert will i have any fitting concerns or will they just bolt on and let me drive away.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shocks

I received a set of the KYB KG5529 Gas-a-Just shocks. They seem to be the ones I am reading the most about on here as a viable replacement. They will be going on today. I am in NJ and its 25 out so there will not be much road testing until I receive and install the new aluminum gas tank. I want to see if the rear ride height changed. We will see.

Fred
Old 12-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLost View Post
Mr. Cashburn
I followed your link but i'm not sure I follow your suggestion. My car is really old and shocks are one of my winter projects. If i just convert will i have any fitting concerns or will they just bolt on and let me drive away.
I did not insert the link. The forum software did. Not sure you will understand this but had to try.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default IMLost

I just swapped out the old KYB's for the KYB KG5529 Gas-a-Just Gas Shocks and there is quite a difference in the new ones when it comes to the dampening. The old ones I took out are 5 years old with only 2k miles on them but they felt like mush compared to the new ones. Car always got a little too squirrly in the back when I really got on it. The new ones will definitely help with that.

Fred
Old 12-22-2019, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

I just installed the KYB KG5529 in car #272. You’re right, it’s the dampening that makes the ride improvement. Don’t worry about them being for a VW. It’s about the weight of car, not the HP. The ride height was a lot higher after getting the car back on the ground, but after a drive it settled back to the original position.

I also just had the frnt struts replaced (just the shock part, not the tube) with the original part #. One of mine was completely shot causing major vibration in the front end. The part numbers for car 272 are KYB 361005. You should also replace the upper strut bearings while you are there. Part number for that was Lemforder 27309 01 009. Tip from BDR, use washers in the bottom of the strut tube as spacers if the shock isn’t tight when reassembling.

BTW, I just started receiving parts for the steering shaft upgrade that you and spdbrake did. Can’t wait to feel the improvement!
FredG likes this.

Last edited by Quentin Z; 12-22-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Old 12-22-2019, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quentin, I just posted in the other shock thread on checking if there is play on the strut cartridge inside the strut tube and re-tightening the gland nut.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lots of good info glad to hear some others sharing