Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1799 5.0L Gen 3 Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Shout-out to Backdraft

I've been a Backdraft owner since mid-November. And like most of us new owners I experienced some growing pains. However, I have to say that the response from Frank and his team in Boynton Beach has been AWESOME!

My car has the Gen 3 Coyote engine and contrary to what some say. The PCMs in this generation are locked down a lot tighter than earlier models. I live in Central Florida. Not far from SCT in Sanford. Neither they nor any of my local tuners that use SCT products were able to iron out some MAF sensor issues I was having. This is not a slam against SCT. Just my experience. Frank sent James Gordon (Tuning by James) directly to my home 200 miles from Boynton and the issues were quickly resolved. James was formerly employed by SCT and still uses and sells their equipment. But for Gen 3 Coyotes he uses HP Tuners with great results.

I also experienced some excessive runout issues with my right rear brake rotor. I eventually traced the issue to the pin-drive/hub. Frank responded by overnighting me a new hub, bearing, and rotor and the issue was quickly resolved.

Thank you Frank!
Old 02-20-2020, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Glad to hear. I hope I receive the same service as you if I encounter a issue with my BDR.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:13 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Great to hear. What did it make on the dyno?
Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Unfortunately I haven't had it on the dyno yet. James loaded a tune he had just completed for Backdraft on a similarly equipped car. He told me that car pulled 420 RWHP. I am waiting on my local guy to get his calibration done to get in a dyno run. James told me that as it is now the tune is pretty much stock. Except for the air flow changes. That is pretty much what Backdraft is asking him to do. But, it has room to grow. As it is now, the drivability is excellent.

Have you guys tuned any Gen 3s at Vintage?
Old 02-20-2020, 11:17 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Canned tunes never work, especially on a new engine offering. Get that to a proper dyno and tuner asap.

We are in the process of installing several Gen 3s at the moment. In Backdrafts and Early Mustangs.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Definitely the plan!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If your looking for a local tuner. Justin Starkey at VMP Performance is great. I've used VMP several times over the years with outstanding results.

https://www.vmpperformance.com/
If you need any heavy wrench work Jake Lamotta's shop is fair and very knowledgeable.
LaMotta Performance
Old 02-20-2020, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried VMP early on. They wanted to send me an SCT X4 and try to read the PCM. I bought one directly from SCT in Sanford and ended up returning it. Backdraft actually sent SCT a PCM from a Gen3 and SCT couldn't get into it. At least that's what I was told.

I plan to use Burnyzz in Ocala or American Motorsports in Orlando.

I wish VMP was a little closer Justin Starkey is a legend with Fords. I think his wife's Mustang runs in the 8s!

Last edited by hawretre; 02-20-2020 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Additions
Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Find a shop that can work remotely with Lund Racing.