Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Soundkillr
  • 3 Post By jhv48
  • 2 Post By snapier
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By olddog
  • 1 Post By IMLost
  • 4 Post By Buzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2019, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default BDR passenger side roll bar

I am considering the purchase of a specific used Backdraft Racing Cobra. The only item giving me concern is that it has a passenger side roll bar that I would prefer it not have. Can passenger side roll bars be easily removed via nuts and bolts or are they welded? I understand holes would remain but I can be easily address them to my satisfaction.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft cobra FE big bock
Not Ranked     

Yes, to the best of my knowledge they can be easily removed. And yes....holes will remain.
FredG likes this.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Agree with soundkillr...check the trunk. The mounts are viewable from the trunk and attach to the frame.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default BDR passenger side roll bar

Thanks for everyone for replying to my question. I feel more comfortable with others having the same opinion as me!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Before you remove the roll bar, consider whether or not you will regularly ride with a passenger next to you. If you always drive alone, no problem. However, if you have a significant other or child that will regularly ride with you, a passenger side roll bar could protect them in case of an accident.
My wife always accompanies me on my rides. She refused to ride in the car unless I installed a passenger side roll bar. She reasoned her head is just as important as mine.
After 40,000 miles, happy wife, happy life.
cycleguy55, Zeke and hauss like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Funny thing, I only have one and wish I had two.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Yes it unbolts.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

I had an incident last month where I rolled my car. One roll bar and we both walked away except for 30+ staples (my wife's head) and stitches in my head and a pretty good concussion. She loved the car and our drives. She said I should build another but with dual roll bars. I told her no, it isn't period correct and just doesn't look right. End of story.

I won't put heat shields on side pipes either.

Today we saw Ford v Ferrari...... when we were driving home she said, "Okay, a single roll bar will be okay"

[IMG][/IMG]

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 11-27-2019, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     
Default duel roll bars

I have the duel roll bars in my Superformance (SPO1400) so that my wife feels safe when she go for a ride with me...
Attached Images

Gaz64 and hauss like this.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I love my wife and kids too much not to have a roll bar, that was one of my “must haves” when I ordered mine
Old 02-20-2020, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
I had an incident last month where I rolled my car. One roll bar and we both walked away except for 30+ staples (my wife's head) and stitches in my head and a pretty good concussion. She loved the car and our drives. She said I should build another but with dual roll bars. I told her no, it isn't period correct and just doesn't look right. End of story.

I won't put heat shields on side pipes either.

Today we saw Ford v Ferrari...... when we were driving home she said, "Okay, a single roll bar will be okay"
If she was smart, she would say no problem, but from now on I'm driving.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
She said I should build another but with dual roll bars. I told her no, it isn't period correct and just doesn't look right.
Neither does a head with staples.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You do understand that the dynamics of the passenger side are very different from the driver side in two respects:
1. Roll bar
2. Shoulder harnesses.

After many discussions with some very respected Cobra drivers (Bondurant being one) about passenger safety and a firm no negotiation stance from Shelby American you should note the following:

Without a roll bar there shall be no shoulder harnesses. SAI is firm in that there is no safe attachment point in the trunk area that shoulder harnesses can safely be attached. Period. That is their position as a manufacturer. The bar that goes across the back is not sturdy enough to be a restraint in the case of a head-on collision and the chances of head contact with the dash are almost 100%.

Second, let's say you do accept the risk and put shoulder harnesses but no roll bar. Then the problem is with SOME head on (but not all) but almost ALL rollover incidents. Why? Because if you have shoulder harnesses they will hold you upright. And if you are held upright and don't have a roll bar then guess what? YOU ARE THE ROLL BAR!!!! So the passenger's head, neck and spine supports the passenger side of the car that is supported by the roll bar on the driver side.

As a result (and what Bondurant told me) is that a passenger's chances of survival in a major crash are greater with simply having a properly mounted lap belt. But that they NEVER took a passenger on the track. When I considered using my Cobra at a Bondurant advanced class I was told I would not have an instructor in the car for this reason. (I didn't take the car because of inclement weather.)

pgermond should count his lucky stars that his wife wasn't mortally injured.

PS. As a result of an on-line email exchange between Gary Patterson (before he was Shelby CEO, and which my wife was able to see) in which we discussed SAI's position, my wife never rode in the Cobra again.
tennisbum132 likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-20-2020 at 08:38 PM..
Old 02-21-2020, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

So if you are so hung up on originality, why a rectangular tube frame, bumpers instead of quick jacks, and a BDR with a longer wheel base than an original. We wont go into fiberglass instead of aluminum, I think you get the point. You are willing to compromise on all these things, but not the one safety item that could get your wife (passenger) killed. These things are replicas, not exact copies.

People who would rather feed their ego over protecting a life, , , awe never mind. I'm wasting my time.
FredG likes this.

Last edited by olddog; 02-21-2020 at 07:22 AM..
Old 02-21-2020, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

I agree with old dogg.
None of these are "correct", period.
FredG likes this.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2015 BDR, Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     

Welp, this thread is causing me to look into having at least a driver's side bar installed on my BDR. I love the clean lines, but the lack of rollover safety is terrifying after seeing that picture.

Attached Images

Last edited by ColoradoCobra1; 02-24-2020 at 01:30 PM..
Old 02-24-2020, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Original street cars had no roll bar. But that was when they used auto accident fatalities as a factor in population control.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

By far the majority of Cobra accidents are spinouts after losing traction in the rear. Rollovers are comparatively rare, but they do happen. In the case of the more common spinout, the car often impacts an immovable object from the rear. In quite a few reported cases the passengers survived ( single roll bar)while the driver died or was severely injured from blunt force trauma to the back of the head. If your head can touch or even stretch to reach the roll bar when you're seated in the car, just think what will happen to you or your passenger's head if you get rear ended, or even on the rebound in a frontal impact. Roll bars are intended for use in racing applications where the driver's noggin is protected by a helmet. Roll bars on street driven Cobras are more a function of SC-style than actual safety.
Just drive with a bit of extra care when you have a passenger. Accept your own risks - including smacking your head on a steel bar - when you're by yourself. Motorcycles and Cobras are more about enjoyment than foolproof safety. Enjoy accordingly.
rads42, olddog, Gaz64 and 1 others like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-18-2020, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #360
Not Ranked     

Mark- Did you end up taking out? If so, would you sell it to me? Thanks.