Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nathanmargolis
  • 2 Post By genolan

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2020, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     
Default TK600 not going into gear

I'm having trouble getting the transmission into gear first thing in the morning. the temperature in Florida is in the mid 70's in the AM. It's hard to get into gear if not impossible with or without car running. Reverse is the hardest to engage. Once i get it going everything seems fine. This has happened two days in a row.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
Gary
Old 04-29-2020, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I'm assuming you have checked the clutch releasing fully?
Old 04-29-2020, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think so If i leave it in gear and release the clutch it's doesn't stall or move, Also if I depress the clutch in gear the car stops moving.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

It could still be dragging a little and not fully releasing. Clutch travel between the car starting to move and peddle fully up? Also, if cable, it could be stretched, if hydraulic, air in the line or low on fluid.
Fluid level in transmission?

Just throwing out suggestions.

If none of the easy stuff, it almost sounds like internal shift linkage loose or broken.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Slave Cylinder Valve

Go to the basics and bleed/flush the slave cylinder valve. Bet you that fixes the problem. My Backdraft is an earlier model in the 300 SN series and that has to be done every year for good operation. Just replaced the slave cylinder, too.
Quentin Z likes this.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

Also check the slave bracket, some of these tend to bend over time. Here's a link to a short thread:
Clutch Slave Cylinder Bracket

But, if you search "slave Bracket" you will find more. Mine is bent a little, but I just live with it. Also, my TKO 500 is harder to get in reverse, but I thought that was typical with all trans. Since yours varies with temp, I believe a good flush will solve your issue. Slave cylinders are cheap tho, the cross reference for mine is Beck-Arnley 072-8342 (fits 87-93 Mazda B2200)

Last edited by Quentin Z; 04-29-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Old 04-29-2020, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

If it will not go into gear with the engine stopped, it is not the clutch.

Now a transmission in a stopped car with engine off, can be stopped at a place where the teeth are not aligned. You should be able to find at least one gear that it will easily slide into. You should be able to rock the car and align any gear so that you can easily shift into that gear. If you cannot do this, then the problem is in the transmission.

If you can shift into and out of a gear with the engine stopped, start the engine and now it will not go into gear, that is the clutch not releasing or TOB dragging.

If it is the clutch, put it into gear with engine off. Start the engine, with the clutch fully depressed. Now slowly let off on the clutch and see how far off the floor the pedal is when the car starts to move. If it is the clutch not releasing, the car will start to move with the pedal slightly off the floor. If the pedal is near half way up, it is not a clutch adjustment issue.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by genolan View Post
I'm having trouble getting the transmission into gear first thing in the morning. the temperature in Florida is in the mid 70's in the AM.
Well it ain't the freezing temps, that's for sure. Is this something that has just recently started? Usually a TKO slips in and out of gear easily, with the engine off, and you sitting in the passenger seat. The one exception to that is the reverse gear, and that can be ignored.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

Do you hear or feel the gears grinding going into reverse? If so the clutch is not fully disengaging. Another possibility is the pilot bearing is causing the mainshaft to turn with the clutch disengaged.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was the clutch slave
Quentin Z and Ozzie Goat like this.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

When that happened to me the clutch slave was low on fluid.