Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2021, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Its the 1st part number listed in the 1st thread I linked. You'll need two bearings.

Remove the bottom bolt on the lower universal and pull the universal off the rack pinion spline.
Remove the two cross bolts that hold the BDR universal assy in the hollow smaller center column.
Remove the the universal assy from the hollow center column tube.
Loosen the two allen set screws that are in the large OD billet spacer. (the lower bearing is right behind it).
Slide the spacer and bearing out.
You can now pull the steering wheel and center tube out and access the upper bearing. (Outer support tube is not disturbed)
I take it that I don't have to do anything with the blinker arm assembly? Just leave it secured to the outer support tube?
Old 10-07-2021, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correct, the blinker is attached to the outer tube and is not disturbed either.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No play actually.

On the rack free play I had tried that route 1st with no help. The adjuster is simply pushes the back side of the rack into the steering pinion gear. The Spring under the cap does the work and getting it too tight can cause a bind. Also that bind really can't be felt with the wheels installed as the caster pulls the wheels left or right while jacked. A binding steering spooks me.
The BDR uses a flipped RHD MR2 rack.
https://toyota.epc-data.com/imgjp/B3/MCA933E.png

You probably should just replace the the steering shaft and joints with beefed up parts.
Shopping list is here. You most likely will not need the center Heim bearing I added to mine.
Steering shafts upgrade

Further details are in this thread.
Can't take any credit but you should consider Speedbrakes steering upgrade.
"While I was at it I replaced the upper and lower steering shaft bearings. PN 32-31-1-158-835"

FYI. These bearings did not fit my steering outer support tube nor the inner steering tube. Both the OD and the ID of the bearing was too big. Eyeballing it I would say the bearing diameter was probably about 1/8" too big. Again, this is on a 2011 build with all stock components from BDR.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Same

I have the same issue, i need to replace both of mine. The ones i pulled out were really cheap plastic crap. Anyone know where we can get these bearing? Thanks SPM
Old 11-18-2021, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the PN 32-31-1-158-835 are the BMW bearings.

No, on the knowledge of will-fit replacements.

However it would be great if you would disassemble yours and mic out the measurements and then determine which bearings fit or are close to a drop-in replacement.

https://catalog.timken.com/BookshelfView/
(Timken owns Fafnir also)
Old 11-19-2021, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Lower u joint

I was able to source all the parts except for that lower u joint (Woodward steering 3/4 DD 14mm) anyone know where I can get one. Thanks. SPM
Old 11-19-2021, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Lower U-joint

Give Woodward a call or email them and they will make it for you. That's what I did back in 2019. Here is what I sent them along with their response

Hi.

I have a Backdraft Cobra and I am doing a steering upgrade. Another owner did the same upgrade and he said I need a Ujoint PN UA116109 3/4" Double-D and 14mm-34 spline. He said he got it from you. Is it available? I see a UA116110 but no 109 on your page. Thanks

Here is the email I received from them.

We can combine any two ends we manufacture to make a u-joint, so yes, that is a u-joint we can supply. Please provide shipping address, phone number and payment information.

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanpatrick View Post
I was able to source all the parts except for that lower u joint (Woodward steering 3/4 DD 14mm) anyone know where I can get one. Thanks. SPM

Last edited by FredG; 11-19-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Old 11-19-2021, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great, I called them this morning. Hopefully they get back to me. So that top shaft fits in the hallow steering wheel shaft. I know once I get all the parts I can figure it out �� or bug you guys to death. Did you notice a good improvement? With this project and the front fan project I’ll stay busy out here for awhile. SPM
Old 11-19-2021, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Improvement

It is quite noticeable. No more flexing or twisting along the steering column. I strongly suggest installing Camber Plates. They are another significant improvement. The stock top shock mount is encases in rubber. With Camber Plates it's steel. Makes the handling more precise. The final improvement would be to bag the original manual rack.......It's garbage.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is there a kit I can buy for the rack. What would you recommend? Is it something I can do in my garage? It’s kind of fun working on this thing. It’s getting addicting. I found myself living in my garage haha Anything I can do to make this car better I’ll do. I want to add those fans in front. I’m very happy with the 15 inch rims and a Billboards. Being in Ohio I’ll have all winter to improve it. SPM
Old 11-20-2021, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rack

No. there is no complete kit offered that I know of. The prevailing thought and the rack that seems to be the most popular to convert to would be the rack from a BMW Z3. This rack will be 2.5 turns from lock to lock which is quite an improvement over the 3.6 stock manual rack. You will also have to provide a pump, rack mounts and different tie rod ends. Their are a few Backdraft dealers/shops like Vintage in Connecticut or Miller Speed in California who do the conversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanpatrick View Post
Is there a kit I can buy for the rack. What would you recommend? Is it something I can do in my garage? It’s kind of fun working on this thing. It’s getting addicting. I found myself living in my garage haha Anything I can do to make this car better I’ll do. I want to add those fans in front. I’m very happy with the 15 inch rims and a Billboards. Being in Ohio I’ll have all winter to improve it. SPM
Old 11-21-2021, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I ordered all the parts except for the lower joint. Ill get it ordered tomorrow. I hope the bearings will fit that i ordered. After i get this steering beefed up and those bearings installed ill see if i can live with the rack i have. Any ideas about a booster for the brake system? SPM
Old 11-21-2021, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If your booster is failed there are threads on the site detailing the replacement parts.

I'd start by making sure you actually have a check valve at the booster, VS a a plain 90deg plastic elbow. (like mine had)
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ck-valve-80190
If you have a non-check valve elbow you lose all your built up vac boost each time you go back to idle.

Mine still works so-so as I only have 11in of vac (still better than the solid roller I removed which had 9in.) But the brakes are adequate and will lock up if need be.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Its the 1st part number listed in the 1st thread I linked. You'll need two bearings.(Outer support tube is not disturbed)
The bearings are sold in pairs.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic roadsters ll
Not Ranked     
Default Rack&pinion

Hi I had the same problem with my glamming river rack.i took of the adjustment nut and spring.and nylon part and packed it with heavy duty tractor grease.put it back together.it worked good
Old 02-10-2022, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft BDR4 GT
Not Ranked     

Same problem here. Fred is right.
I want to stay powerless, but can someone refer to a fitting (RT4) rack which makes it way less than 4 turn lock to lock?
Old 02-11-2022, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I have a low miles flaming river rack which I replaced with a power rack. I'd sell it reasonably. If there is interest I will go and check how many turns lock to lock it is. IIRC it is 2.5.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft BDR4 GT
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I have a low miles flaming river rack which I replaced with a power rack. I'd sell it reasonably. If there is interest I will go and check how many turns lock to lock it is. IIRC it is 2.5.
OK, would you check please
Old 02-20-2022, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rack

Do you have a link or part number to that manual 2.5 lock to lock rack. Also, was there any issue with mounting and tie rod ends. Thanks

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Old 02-22-2022, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do you have a complete list of parts you used?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: