Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By eschaider
  • 1 Post By CHANMADD

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2023, 10:31 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy hard clutch

I have a RT4 build 1064.
is there any way to lighten the pedal force. I have trouble holding down the clutch at a traffic light
Old 04-19-2023, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

If you are using a hydraulic slave, you have the option of replacing the current slave cylinder with one that has a larger bore. Alternatively, you could replace the clutch master cylinder with one that has a smaller bore. If you don't want to mess with the hydraulics, then you could modify the mechanical advantage your clutch pedal has when disengaging the clutch. If none of the above is appealing to you, then you could change your clutch out for one of the current crop of aftermarket dual disc clutches.

If none of this is satisfactory for you, then you are pretty much out of options and stuck with what you have.
Tom Kirkham, Morris, FredG and 1 others like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-19-2023 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 04-19-2023, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use a hydraulic throw-out bearing and for years it was connected with a 3/4" master cylinder. It was a stiff combination. Last year I replaced the master cylinder with a 5/8" master. What a difference.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I used to have a very heavy single disk clutch, it had an external slave, then I changed to a McCleod dual disk with internal hydraulic throwout bearing. It is much easier on the leg and its a great clutch, it uses a 3/4" master, I may try a 5/8" master as HTM101 recommends

Last edited by CowtownCobra; 04-19-2023 at 11:04 AM..
Old 04-19-2023, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

First off....You should never sit for an extended time with your foot on the clutch. First thing it does is destroy the thrust face bearing on the crankshaft, secondly the throw-out bearing is going to fail. Other than that the advice given above is good.
Kobura likes this.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I have a McLeod dual disk clutch, and the pedal pressure is light. Even so, I usually put it in neutral at a traffic light.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:41 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Wilwood also makes a Girling style 11/16 master cylinder. That it what I typically use with an internal hydraulic throw out bearing. I have found that 5/8 sometimes does not move enough volume to fully disengage the clutch.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default Mine

I installed this in mine and it works great , a little above 11/16 .6875 too .700 bore
NEW GIRLING-STYLE ALUMINUM SCREW ON LID CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER .700 FMR 260-1305
Old 06-12-2023, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
I use a hydraulic throw-out bearing and for years it was connected with a 3/4" master cylinder. It was a stiff combination. Last year I replaced the master cylinder with a 5/8" master. What a difference.
did you have any issues with clutch disengagement? I have the same problem and couldn't find a slave clutch that fits with a 7/8bore. I did notice the pedal has a hole 1 inch higher that would help mechanical advantage but that requires the master to be moved up to keep alignment.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by genolan View Post
did you have any issues with clutch disengagement? I have the same problem and couldn't find a slave clutch that fits with a 7/8bore. I did notice the pedal has a hole 1 inch higher that would help mechanical advantage but that requires the master to be moved up to keep alignment.
I didn't. I have a 5/8" stroke at the HTOB.