Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Please welcome Hi-Per Rods (BackDraft Racing reps) to Club Cobra!

Please welcome Robert Boudreaux to the club. He's here to answer questions and help out where he can.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...and the legendary Club Cobra just keeps getting bigger and better! Great to have another rep on site.

Ernie
Old 03-19-2003, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Olson
Not Ranked     

Robert,

thanks for taking care of the TCC Merchandise online.

Can't wait to see the Hi-Per Rods online catalog when it's done...

blake

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 03-19-2003, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks.

Thanks guys. I will be here to serve and any questions you may have, I'll do my best to anwer. Reg will be stopping in also to help with technical questions on the BackDraft cars.

Our online parts catalog is less than a week away and will be growing continuously. So check in often. We offer a full line of products from most names like Edelbrock, MSD, Ford Racing, and more.

We also offer short blocks, long blocks and turn-key engines in any custom combination desired.

There will be ongoing promotions for club members and a Backdraft demo to test drive at as many TCC functions as possible.

Any questions? Don't hesitate to email, post, or call.
Info@Hi-PerRods.com
Robert (817) 703-1475

Thanks,

Robert
Old 04-09-2003, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello, what would be nice are some ore particulars when it comes to the BDR numbers...i.e. weight, front suspension setup particulars i.e. anti dive/squat considerations, skid pad numbers, heater/defroster, performance numbers for a completed car, and any other numbers you think some tech head might want (update the website so work/time is not duplicated) to know. This may also be a touchy question but what is your take on the BDR .vs. the SPF and ERA?? I know that off the back there is a big price difference and some standard equipment that is not there but what is your take? Also what is the differnce between the standard suspension and the 3000$ option? Does the soft top/hard top come with side curtians. I hope it does not seem like i am being anal but if i do/when buy this car i plan to drive it often and keep it for some years to come. Any info you might have would be great.

P.S. i do not call Reg yet because i am just really in the research stage. Purchase will not be for another 10 months (unless the stockmarket really heats up). Thanks once again Henry
Old 04-10-2003, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     
Default No prisoners...

Hello Henry: I can see that you get to the point.

The BDR runs around 2300 lbs. It can get up to 2500 depending on what you bolt into it. The suspension is of BMW vintage from the 95' 325 series. Ride height is fully adjustable and it runs 49% rear with a 302 block. The front sets up identical to the BMW with about an 1/8" toe-in to soften up the steering. It also has the sway bar to provide anti-dive. The rear also sets up identical with the exeption of 0 camber to keep the wheels flat on the road, stock calls for +1.5 or so. The car does sqaut under acceleration. This however, helps with the transfer of ponies to the pavement. No skid pad tests have been done at this time.

Completed performance numbers? Which car? I can tell you that the rear suspension does a good job with traction and the car road coarses extremly well. A 302 based engine will handle much better if you intend to race the car.The guys in Deep South Club race 5 or 6 of them regularly in Florida and they run very well against the other 20+ replicas of all makes. The suspension upgrade is an M3 package that include shocks, springs, 1/2 shafts, and brakes. This package requires 17" wheels to house the larger brakes.

A search will yield all the threads you can bare to read on the comparison of SPFs and ERAs. An ERA is probably one of the most sought after cars when authenticity is concerned, it is a very different car from the TKMs. With that said, I'll tell you why one might choose a BDR. As you have mentioned, the BDR is $12,000 less expensive than others. It is not less car, just less expensive. The car drives and handles like a dream. Both SPFs and BDRs are well made with attention to details and quality. A manufacturer is entitled to sell it's wares for whatever the market will bare. Sometimes a new product is introduced into a market that raises the bar by offering more value built into it's product. If price is not an issue for you, I would let first hand research make your decision for you. Look at all three cars and drive them. You'll probably find club members in your area to help out. Side by side, your choice will boil down to a personal preference.

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited by Boudy; 04-10-2003 at 01:35 PM..
Old 04-10-2003, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey thanks for the info. I hope that getting to the point does not seem too pushy..i just like to get to the bottom line (must be this auditing job (not IRS)). I have writtien a couple of threads but they always go off on a tangent....Doesnt seem to be much focus after a couple of posts. Well if you are at Knotts on Sundy i will see you there. I am a pretty young guy and i look like i am hispanic with glasses stocky build. Later Henry
Old 04-10-2003, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First thing first, CONGRATS to Robert for your new dealership....
I own BDR # 5, and it's a super great car. Yes, us Deep South Cobra Club dudes are having lot's of fun racing as many times as we can. One of our members Dan Fortin got the fastest time in his 347 stroker BDR at the Gainesville Track event in January. We were up against 25 cars. I've heard concerns about the BMW rearend holding up under all that HP we're putting under our hoods, and I can tell you this much. My rearend is in perfect shape, but I can't say the same for my specially prepared King Cobra T5 tranny. It didn't hold up while running the Homestead Speedway track just recently. I'm trying to get it fixed in time for our race next weekend. Another friend and member in DSCC also broke his Tremec durning the same event but while doing 1/8 mile racing. Flanker also owns a beautiful BDR. So much for all those Ford rearend diehards, huh! All that muscle and we haven't broken one yet.
Henry, do check out the BDR cars that Reg the owner of the company in bringing your way to the Knott's Berry Show.

Armando

CobraDoc
Old 04-12-2003, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Henry: No problem on getting to the point. I've been accused of it myself.(SSHHH) Anyway, we are here to help. Reg is there with three cars. Check em' out. Go over them. Ask 100 questions, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Manny: Is that you? If so, sorry, I never got your name when we met.

Robert
Old 04-12-2003, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Dr. Lopez is Armando Lopez and Manny Lopez is the crazy one.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was crawling all over those cars today at Knott's. I was very pleased with what I saw. Body panels were smooth and straight. Well finished cars. Very impressive for what they cost. They also mentioned they have the big block option coming up for those that must have it. as well as a suspension upgrade that requires the 17" wheels to fit over the bigger brakes.

For what it's worth I really liked the car overall. Good value for the car. I believe the turnkey with a 400 hp 351 was about $35K
Old 04-14-2003, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Guys:
Yes, it's the crazy one, like Aumoore calls me.
Robert congratulations with your new dealership.
It's been a few months since we met at BDR of Pembroke Pines.
One of theese days we will stop and visit you on our way up to California.

Lots of luck,
Manny Lopez ( dualrollbars )
Old 04-14-2003, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not to worry friend. Crazy is a relative term. It's all about perception. Kinda like fast, what's fast? Good to here from you. I should be down this summer at least once or twice. I wanted to make the open house but I've been busy, busy.

Thanks for the sentiments guys. I'm going to do all I can to make this area a BDR hotbed.

Boudy
Old 04-14-2003, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote]Originally posted by xlr8or

[b]Well finished cars. Very impressive for what they cost.

Add $10,000 to the cost of this car and it's still very impressive.

Boudy
Old 04-14-2003, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are both crazy, I think it must be the hair!
Just kiddin' Armando! BTW sorry to hear about your tranny.

Craig
Old 04-21-2003, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427
Send a message via AIM to jpfletch1 Send a message via Yahoo to jpfletch1
Not Ranked     
Default suspension and running gear

Since there are no pictures of the suspension, brakes and running gear on the web site or brochure its kind of mysterious. What kind of power will the standard setup handle. Exactly what BMW parts are used.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: No prisoners...

[quote]Originally posted by Boudy

[b]Hello Henry: I can see that you get to the point.

The BDR runs around 2300 lbs. It can get up to 2500 depending on what you bolt into it. The suspension is of BMW vintage from the 95' 325 series. Ride height is fully adjustable and it runs 49% rear with a 302 block. The front sets up identical to the BMW with about an 1/8" toe-in to soften up the steering. It also has the sway bar to provide anti-dive. The rear also sets up identical with the exeption of 0 camber to keep the wheels flat on the road, stock calls for +1.5 or so. The car does sqaut under acceleration. This however, helps with the transfer of ponies to the pavement. No skid pad tests have been done at this time.

Completed performance numbers? Which car? I can tell you that the rear suspension does a good job with traction and the car road coarses extremly well. A 302 based engine will handle much better if you intend to race the car.The guys in Deep South Club race 5 or 6 of them regularly in Florida and they run very well against the other 20+ replicas of all makes. The suspension upgrade is an M3 package that include shocks, springs, 1/2 shafts, and brakes. This package requires 17" wheels to house the larger brakes.

JPFLETCH1: I stole that from an earlier post in the thread so I hope you don't mind. I have some pics of suspension in the Gallery of Hi-Per Rods' website. But I can post more or send you some if you like. The standard suspension package will handle 450 HP at the flywheel with no problems at all. 500 HP will require the suspension upgrade unless it'll never see a race track. 500 HP is the limit for the stock suspension but it is not recommended to hit the road coarse with it. Standard is 4 wheel, power assisted disc brakes and vented front rotors. The upgrade has larger, all vented disc w/larger calipers & pads.

Hope that was what you wanted. If not, let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

EDIT: As for parts used, the complete front and rear suspension package is used. That includes sway bars and all.

Last edited by Boudy; 04-22-2003 at 11:19 AM..