Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     
Default BDR vs Team C - question

Maybe this one has been asked before, but are the BackDraft cars and the Team C Performance "Viper 427" cars cut from the same cloth? I haven't seen either up close (only several pictures via websites, etc.), but both cars look darn near identical in every way.

Am I missing something? They look eerily similar in fit and finish, suspension components, etc.

The real reason for my question is this: I've seen Team C advertise some cars on eBay at $24,900 instant buy....that's a full $4K below their advertised roller price.

If you don't want to discuss Team C in a public forum, please e-mail me your response, thanks. I respect that.

-Dean
Old 12-05-2003, 06:50 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What's the deal?!? 50+ views and no one has even a guess?!?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

I spoke with a Team-C rep a couple of days ago asking the same question. He didn't give many details about the origin of the two, but said that the BDR cars have wider/rounder rear fenders "to accept wider tires". The only other difference he mentioned was that theirs had the rectangular S/C rear taillights. I didn't see that on their web site, but maybe that's a new thing. Perhaps someone else can elaborate or knows more about it.

QZ
Old 12-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

QZ, thanks. Now at least we know that the fenders are possibly dimensionally different. Would love to see two of these cars side by side.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Shelby Aluminum 427, stroked
Send a message via AIM to Roxie_427
Not Ranked     

The Team-C-Racing kits are actually Shell Valley kits. The eBay rolling chassis kits that you see from time to time are what got me interested in Team-C. When I found out that they are actually SV kits, I went to visit SV to shop for a kit.

The Venom 427 kit is "packaged" by SV to hit a particular price point. SV won't sell you that exact kit, but with some adds/deletes, you can achieve the same outcome in an SV kit.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, the Venom 427 is built by Performance Cars in South Africa, and is shipped to the U.S. as a turnkey minus just like the other replicas manufactured in South Africa. Team-C is a dealer for these cars as was Shell Valley. I haven't seen this car advertised on the Shell Valley website for several weeks though.

Search Club Cobra for Venom 427 and you'll find some useful info about the car. You can also go to the Performance Cars website at http://www.performcars.com
Old 12-05-2003, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Shelby Aluminum 427, stroked
Send a message via AIM to Roxie_427
Not Ranked     

Bill V., you're absolutely right. I was thinking of the TCR 427. My mistake.

The TCR 427 is the SV kit. So much for being helpful!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W
Not Ranked     

I have a Venom 427. It's produced by Performance Cars as stated earlier. It comes as a turnkey product ready for a 302 or 351 Ford and is equipped with a BMW suspension system. Nice product. I have been very pleased with the car. Just click on the Team-C-Racing ad here on Club Cobra and visit their site. Call them and ask for Michael Gates. He is very thorough and highly knowledgable about these cars.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     
Default Red...

As I understand it the owners of Performance and BDR were partners in the very early stages of their Cobra venture. This is the reason for the similarities (BMW suspension, look, etc.). The original cars were marketed under Johnspeed. What I am not clear on is whether the parting of the ways occured under the Johnspeed name or when one of the other companies was formed.

For what it's worth, and this is purely MY opinion, it seems that BDR has a much better operation, funding and customer centric view. They seem to have very quickly continually improved the cars based on client, dealer and Cobra 'experts' feedback and widened the gap between them and the Perfromance cars. Not too mention, their dealers feel they are treated very well (right Boudy).

For these reasons and many others I would be willing to share with you, I went with the BDR car. I researched this thing to death and for my needs, usage and preferences BDR was the perfect fit. Now if I can just get 'em to move up my delivery date.

Feel free to contact me offline if I you would like to discuss it further.

Happy hunting!

- Snak Iyz
Old 12-08-2003, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     
Talking

Dean,

Snak Iyz is right on target with his answer. I also did the same research you did and first thought the were the same. After further study I found otherwise. I feel both are fine cars but I liked the fact I could get a heater in the BDR and also they had a better selection of interior colors. Hence my BDR #123 is on order now.

David
Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     
Default Congrats David!!!!

When is your delivery date...?
Old 12-08-2003, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

Snak Iyz,

Reg at Backdraft told me the car should be here{in so. Fl} the end of Jan or early Feb. I am going to do the engine/trans install.

David
Old 12-08-2003, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #65 392 tremec
Not Ranked     

Stewart transport called me today and said my backdraft will be here tomorrow eve between 3pm and 6pm. Bad news is we are expecting rain all day and snow at night but it will look good in the garage. I posted low res pics on my profile, I can emaill much better detailed pics if you like.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Yep, the above mentioned is correct. The Venom is produced in S.A. The company owner was at one time associated with what is currently BDR. The car is marketed by Team C Racing here in the states. Team C also either sells Shell Valley or did sell Shell Valley cars, I heard they may no longer rep SV but not sure.

The cars are similar but both have evolved into the products they are today.

Boudy