Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2003, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     
Default Side Pipe Question

Since I bought my car (BDR) as a turnkey I would like to know if the side pipes are installed on the car by inserting them through the hole in the body from the outside or are they inserted from the inside through the engine compartment out through the hole to the outside. The reason I ask is it seems I have a leak at the joint inbetween the headers and side pipes. I have 4 into 4 and was also wondering if there is a gasket there as well that could have blown out. After looking at the situation it looks like the flange on the sidepipes won't fit through the hole in the body. It may just be my eyes playing tricks but it would help to know before I start. There is one bolt in the flange that is upside down as opposed to the rest of them and thats where it seems to be leaking.

Thanks
Trueoo7
Old 12-24-2003, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

True,

Uncertain how your pipes connect through your fender but I would recommend that you unbolt them and use some of the RED HI-TEMP Permatex on the flanges that bolts your headers to your side pipes. Follow the directions on the tube and let the compound set up before you re-tall your side pipes to your headers. This solved my leaking exhaust problem.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 12-26-2003, 12:54 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

True007, they are installed from the outside in. They will leak for a little while until they seal themselves. There isn't any gasket, I had the same questions with my BDR. Did you get your sidepipes straight along the car? I'm still having trouble in that area. If you need some more info, let me know.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Blittleton
Funny you should ask that question. Someone pointed that out to me. The passenger side looks straight as an arrow, even spacing along the side of the car but the drivers side (end of pipe)seems to trail out from the car. Probably about 1" at the begining and by the end it is out about 1 3/4", I didn't notice it at first but I do now that its been pointed out to me. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment and even if there was it would probably put the pipe in a constant bind as it seems very tight to move.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Actually, adjusting the sidepipe is not too difficult. The headers are mild steel which tend to bind when moved cold. However, if you fire the car up and get the headers really, really hot and put pressure on the pipe until they cool, it will hold that position.

Not too technical of a fix, but hey, it works.

Boudy
Old 12-31-2003, 08:17 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Boudy,

Now THAT'S what I come here for: little pearls of information you won't find elsewhere. Well, that and the constant entertainment.

Not a problem with my Cobra, but I have headers and glasspacks on my snowplow Jeep (it's a northern thing-you wouldn't understand!), as it was the cheapest way to replace the exhaust system. The header on the passenger's side hits on something underneath and it's impossible to bend the headers, due to the rubber motor mounts, etc. I'll try your method. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2004, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Blittleton

True007, they are installed from the outside in. They will leak for a little while until they seal themselves. There isn't any gasket, I had the same questions with my BDR. Did you get your sidepipes straight along the car? I'm still having trouble in that area. If you need some more info, let me know.
If you don't have a gasket you need to get some. Mine have gaskets and have never leaked and I've had the passenger side off and back on re-using the same gasket.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #65 392 tremec
Not Ranked     

Anthem motors had same problem with mine and they ran the car to heat up the pipes and adjusted them pefrect. I know he did it with the pipes warm as he mentioned it on the phone with me. So heat them up!!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

Ok, back to the top. There is one vote for gaskets, one vote for no gaskets, and one vote for red high temp sealer. Which is correct, I need to know very soon
Old 01-27-2004, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

I have gaskets on my demo, which also has the old style header flanges. However, Clois is right, the red sealer works fine as well. I would not chose nothing at all, it's sure to leak.

Boudy
Old 01-28-2004, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by tfarhood

Ok, back to the top. There is one vote for gaskets, one vote for no gaskets, and one vote for red high temp sealer. Which is correct, I need to know very soon
Tom,
Since your pipes do not have a flange to hold a gasket like the "old style", I vote for the red RTV!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: not yet
Send a message via AIM to machineman
Not Ranked     

Last edited by machineman; 01-28-2004 at 09:07 PM..