Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #65 392 tremec
Not Ranked     
Default backdraft cracked windshield

I backed my car out of the garage today to wash it and while I was doing so I noticed a hairline crack in the windshield from the bottom of the windshield going up about 3 inches. Its hard to see but its a crack for sure. I havent had the car over 90mph yet (I have seen where very high speed can crack them) but I havent had mine very fast as I have only logged 200 miles on it. Any clue as to why it would crack? No high speed and no bumps...I have just been putting around town in it. Any ideas?? I am a little disappointed with the failure so early with the car, 200 miles is not much. Any ideas?????
Old 02-01-2004, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 351W Victor Jr intake Heads, 4.030 bore-4.170 stroke-Dish top piston, holley 750 CFM, Street/Strip
Not Ranked     
Default bullseyeprec

Call Reg or Frank at Backdraft

the light at the end of the tunnel might be a freight train comming you way
Old 02-01-2004, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

Do you use the windshield to pull yourself out of the car? It is a common practice for novice drivers and a bad idea. The first car we built we took to show the folks we got the car from and one of the dimwits we took for a ride took hold of the windshield to pull himself out of the car and broke it right up the middle. Of course he denied it.
If you have not pulled on the glass the other thing I have seen is to much strain on the windshield due to improper installation. I have no idea if that could be a problem with you car of that manufacture but it may be worth checking into.

Bruce Edwards
Gemini Motorcars Inc.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

For the last three years at St. Louis there have been a handfull during the meet that had their windshields crack over night. Most if not all were not covered as the night temp dropped. Some times these windshields are under stress from the install and all it takes is a just a little change in the environment to crack them.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-01-2004, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am careful to never touch it when getting in the car, I always lay a hand on the tranny tunnel and ease myself in it. The car is kept in the garage at night and our coldest night has been about 20 degrees but our garage doesnt get quite that cold as its attached to the house and we leak a lot of heat into the garage. Probably 40 degrees or so I would think would be about the lowest? I will call Rag or Frank. I would think it was installed right since it was a factory job. Thanks for your input Clois, handful of them cracked over night you say? I dont want to replace it and have it happen again. Has me a little worried.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Like I said some of the cars I have seen break the glass have had the frame set to tight in the car. Just because the factory installed it does not mean it was done correctly. It is an easy check if you want to play with it. Unbolt the frame and try to lift it out. Use two people, one on each side and lift it straight out. If it "Springs" as it comes out of the holding brackets you will have the problem again unless it is fixed. There should be no strain on the frame. The glass should "Float" in the frame so if the frame has any strain on it the glass can not move during temp changes.
I would be willing to bet that the frame is under some strain and that is what caused the crack.

Bruce Edwards
Gemini Motorcars Inc.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bruce, Sounds like it was iinstalled incorrect at the factory then. I have not looked at how it attaches to the car, but how is it adjustable for tension? What I mean is if it was indeed "sprung" when installed and under tension, how is this tension relieved? The windshield frame is fitted to the windshield and I dont think that there is any fitting there (right?) Am I right to assume that the fitting part comes into play when you mount the winshield and windshield /frame assy to the body?
Old 02-01-2004, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes most are bolted on to the frame from underneath. You can also try taking the side screws loose and see what happens. Just do not take them out to far as they are very short. If the frame is under pressure the screws will feel like they are draging and you can see the outer frame rail pull away from the windshield frame.
The fix can be easy or hard depending on how it was installed. Most are bolted to an upright. If it has shims between the upright and frame rail just take some out or add some as the case may be. If it is rubbing on the body you may have to file the body opening. I have seen some cars with the frame so tight you would think two guys were trying to pull it apart to get it in. When you take one out under that much perssure be sure you do not let it get away and scatch the top of the cowl.
If the frame is bolted straight to the supports depending on how they are made you may be able to bend them a bit to get some pressure off.
Remember also the outside frame rails on the windshield are brass and will bend if forced. What you want is a windsheild that slides into place with little or no drag and is straight to the supports so as it is tighted into place everything stays the same with no pressure pulling on the frame rails for the windshield.
Sounds harder than it is.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

it will be interesting to see if they cover it under warranty......keep us posted.

B.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your input and tips. I hope its an easy install. I will let you know what was out of whack as far as fit fitting goes. Dont worry bnewell, I will let you know if its covered under warranty. Its 2 months old with 200 miles and backdraft has a exc reputation so I am not really worried ( I think they will take care of me), My biggest concern was how hard the install would be. WIll post any news when I know something.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Yep, I agree. Call Reg or Frank, first thing Monday.

Boudy
Old 02-01-2004, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- smallblock grenade w/ the pin pulled
Not Ranked     

I don't have a Bdr but I have had two shields crack. Billy Andrews at HRE Motors says this is fairly common and has more to do with the shield getting its strength from the glass itself, not the weak brass framing. Once I saw the frame without glass I realized how flimsy it really is. After the second shield cracked he replaced it with a polycarbonate that has zero distortion and looks like real glass. 4 years of crack-free racing/street driving. No one even questions it during the yearly state inspections.
Just my solution.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Crack like that could be filled. Very hard to see once the repair is done. Insurance co. may even pay for it
Old 02-02-2004, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As far as getting insurance to cover anything less of a complete loss these days its best to pay out of pocket rather than file a claim. All the insurance companys and banks are tied together and your credit score and claim history generate your risk factor and raise your premium ig you have claims or poor credit. I would consider a polycarb or lexan windshield (maybe they are the same?) as I wont use the wipers and we dont have inspections here in Arkansas to pass. So long as they look good and function well. They only draw back I saw on the forum about them was that they a prone to scratch and wipers are a no-no. Is lexan the way to go since I dont have inspections to worry about? I will call reg at backdraft today and post his response on the board for you all. Let me know how you feel about the other windshield option.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I called Reg at backdraft. He said they would take care of the windshield no problem. He has them in stock. The only problem was getting a box big enough and getting it here. He said if I wanted to drive to Austin end of the month he would put it in for me but thats 14 hours round trip. I think I can figure it out? I told him there was no hurry as it was only a small crack and he said that it would crack all the way across the windshield as soon as I drove it any. Might even finish breaking just from idleing!!!! SO I guess I am down for a little while but its nice to know backdraft takes care of folks after tha sale. That means a lot to me. I will let you know what I find out when I pull the old windshield out as far as any flaws in the old windshield, stressed frame, debris in the gasket etc, and let you know how the new windshield goes in. Thanks guys..
Old 02-02-2004, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You do not have to stop driving your car. The glass is two parts with a liner between them. If the glass crackes all the way up the frame it will still not fall out of the frame.
Enjoy the car and worry about the crack later when you get ready to replace it.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     
Default bullseyeprec...

So it sounds as though Reg was not able to offer any insight or help diagnose over the phone.... Looking forward to you posting what the problem is/may be.

Great to hear Reg and crew are continuing to live up to 'great customer service' we all keep hearing about. I hope I don't have to test that one too many times once mine shows up....

Thanks
- Snak Iyz
Old 02-02-2004, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bruce, Nice to know....Will keep driving it. If windshield falls in my lap will send you the bill, hehe. Snak iyz, Reg and backdraft seem to be great people after the sale. They were quick to take care of this (assuming they can find a box for shipping). I will keep the forum up to date on why the windshield might of failed. Reg said he would like to know as well. He suspected a flaw in the glass creating a stress point or a piece of debris in the gasket. He said he doubted the frame was stressed when installed. He said he has never seen another failure on a backdraft like this one. I will post my findings though. Take care, Buddie
Old 02-02-2004, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please do let us all know what is up with it when you find out. About the only way the glass will come out is if you hit something with the car. Say, like a 10 point buck like one of our customers did.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

bullseyeprec: I can collect your windshield from Reg in Austin and carry it back to my shop in Ft. Worth if you guys can't figure something out on shipping. I to be honest, I do think I'd ship it in less that a crate.

Boudy