Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     
Default Has anything come loose yet?

Hey Boudy,
In your experience with these cars, have you seen anything that after a few hundred miles or may have to be rechecked for tightness. Nothing that I know of has come loose yet but I was wondering if you have seen or heard of any part or parts that we may have to watch out for.

Thanks
Trueoo7
Old 02-09-2004, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

At 300 miles, you should go over the entire car and tighten EVERY bolt you can find. It takes several hours, but has to be done. You will find many things loose, from intake bolts to lug nuts.

Boudy
Old 02-09-2004, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Lugnuts should NEVER loosen if properly torqued and the studs are installed correctly and the hub/wheel surfaces are wiped clean during assembly.

You'd better worry if your lugnuts ever loosen up about the construction of the car.

You still might want to check them, but if they are loose, be concerned about the installation of the studs and when they will loosen again!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Definitely check the exhaust manifold bolts. When they get loose, you lose exhaust gaskets - and that sux!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2682, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Just finished going over mine and found the bolts/nuts holding the door latch straps on the handle were loose. These go thru the leather so it's logical they might be loose. I used red locktite on the nuts.
I also tightened the door hinge bolts.

Chet
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
True,

It is a good idea to check all of your bolts after driving the car for a while and especiallly if you drive it hard. If you have aluminum heads and intake, check the torque on the intake bolts every so often. I always put mine up on the ramps and check everything after a long drive. It only takes a little while and is worth finding if anything has started to work loose versus finding it out while driving. Header and exhaust bolts are especially prone to working loose. I have never had a lug nut loose but still check them.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     
Default Geeze, Lug Nut Authorities around here.

Just how many guys you know checked the lug nuts when they took delivery of a brand new car? We deliver 320 lug nuts per month and I can't personally stand here and tell you that every single one of them was torqued to spec.

So just check the darn things after you put some miles on the car. It's a lot easier to tighten a lug nut than to replace a broken stud due to a loose one.

Boudy

Last edited by Boudy; 02-09-2004 at 12:02 PM..
Old 02-09-2004, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't ask.

How much of the BDR is built Metric and how much is (Ha) English?

I still have all my 70's-vintage Craftsman tools, but I have zip Metric. Never needed them.

Do I need to go buy a set of Metric sockets and end wrenches?

With BMW suspension, that has to be Metric. How about the "assorted" nuts and bolts on the car?

The Ford crate engine I can handle.

Thanks, guys. It looks like #139 is mine if someone in Southlake, TX will call me.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
Old 02-09-2004, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

Uncle T.......yes you do need a set of metrics. Open/boxed end, 1/4 inch sockets and full set of metric allens. You are correct on the metric BMW items. Remember....some items on your Ford engine will be metric also. Might as well get a torque wrench also!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

Door strikers losened up some, but I've only drove the car 2.3 miles. Its very cold here
Old 02-09-2004, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

700 miles and I found everything could use another grunt or two. You need to keep a close eye on everything

Last edited by CowtownCobra; 02-09-2004 at 05:06 PM..
Old 02-09-2004, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #65 392 tremec
Not Ranked     

at 400 miles I only found the passenger side door striker loose. Everything else seems tight. Will lok more miles this summer, Its BRRRRRRR right now.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

I just did my 500 mile check at California Cobra. Armond's guys checked over the whole car and found very few loose nuts/bolts. It does take awhile, so be patient. I will do my own from now on and don't anticipate too many problems. I had the driver's door adjusted, the trunk and hood cinched down, and that was about all that I found before the checkup. For you California guys, the first check is free at Calif. Cobra. Oil/filter, tune up, complete check out and even a complete cleaning underneath and on top!

Its' pretty cold here too. I drove home last night and actually had to zip up my light weight jacket. It got way down to about 50! Sorry, I just couldn't help myself! Only hit about 67 today, but the weekend looks better.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...bolts coming loose?

dom
Old 03-21-2004, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

I find that the nut that holds the steering wheel is usually pretty loose.

Seriously - check EVERYTHING.