Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #85 392 crate 430hp
Not Ranked     
Default Motor for new BDR?

I am in the process of buying a new BDR but I am torn with what motor to put in it. I am leaning toward either the Rousch 327R or the Ford racing 392 crate motor. price difference is about $4,000 but the warranty on the Rousch is pretty tempting not to mention all the other plus's but it is out of my original budget. What advice does anyone with either one of these motors have. Suggestion would be appreciated Want between 400-450hp.

Thanks Josh
Old 02-16-2004, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1404 KC 482 GENESIS
Not Ranked     

Josh, I have the 392 crate in bdr #93. I've been told the engine is very reliable and won't require much tinkering. I only have about 300 miles on mine and have been very happy with the performance. You probably can't go wrong with either package. Good Luck. Todd
Old 02-17-2004, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Josh: The Roush R engine has more forged parts. Thus, the warranty. Also the Roush is B&B'd with a dyno run vs a hot test. Both are good engines, however, you can purchase 400 to 450 HP for less. There is a premium on both of those engines due to the name plate, though Roush's premium is a double premium.

I sell Ford, Roush, Keith Craft, and Custom engines. I'd say you're on the right track. Do your homework. It's fun.

Boudy
Old 02-18-2004, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to hear from more guys with the 392 Ford motors so they would convince me the extra money for the Roush was not necessary to spend. Todd what was your deciding factor for your motor, and did you have any other motors you were interested in?

Thanks Josh
Old 02-18-2004, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 89 KEITH CRAFT ALL ALUMINUM 427 WINDSOR
Not Ranked     

JOSH
I put a Keith Craft all aluminum 427 windsor in my BDR. If money is not a real issue, you might want to consider that route. He has a lot of choices for any price range. Though my motor cost $14000, pretty much top of the line stuff although.

DON
Old 02-19-2004, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 392
Not Ranked     
Default fms 392

Josh my bdr #108 is ahaving a 392 installed any day now down at reg's in Fla., seems like alot of motor for the money !
Old 02-19-2004, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1404 KC 482 GENESIS
Not Ranked     

Josh, I choose the 392 as that was the highest hp from the 4 choices my dealer had at the time. I still think for the money it is a excellent engine. I don't have any engine repair knowledge so at this time it was a good choice as I shouldn't have to work on it much. I was at a light last night when a rt-10 truck pulled up and wanted to try me. It was a joke what the cobra did to him. Note, the engine sounds excellent at idle and cruising. Todd
Old 02-19-2004, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to TheSaint71
Not Ranked     
Default hey

I would also go with the ford 392, less tinckering and reliability will REALLY REALLY serve you well! Not too mention my personal experience with warranties along with my dads is enough to not want them! Waaranty or not usually no one will really stand next to their stuff... and personally Im sick of that! Especially for the extra mulah you pay... You ever hear the term, "If you want something doen right you got to do it yourself..." warranties etc and other people always seem to be the "sure thing" and in my experience it never ever was.... so now I like to research like crazy myslef and get tyhe real info and heads up on things then you can make your own choice, and you won't have to second guess your choice by going with some so called know it all...

anyway, reliability and your own homework will take you MUCH farther then anything else... Personally I'd go with that Ford 392, hope this helps!

Last edited by TheSaint71; 01-11-2014 at 09:21 PM..
Old 02-19-2004, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Todd that's the type of information I like to hear about with the RT/10. Being that I have a buddy with one, that would give me much pleasure to beat up on him especially for the price he has into his car compared to what I will have into my Backdraft. I have been leaning more and more to the 392 motor.
Thanks for the input guy's Josh
Old 03-23-2004, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

What is the approximate cost of the 392 complete with and without installation?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 392
Not Ranked     
Default FMS392

approx. 6000.00
Old 04-14-2004, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #65 392 tremec
Not Ranked     

i have a 392 ford crate engine in mine and am very happy with it. My only problem was a bad msd mag pickup i iwll have repaired this weekend. Good performance for the money and I have accidently bumped 7K rpm a few times before I discovered my rev limiter chip was missing. No complaints here.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have decided on the 392 Ford Crate. John and the boys at anthem started putting it all together this week, and I can not wait.Anybody out there with a BDR recommend any extra upgrades that are crucial.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BackDraft - 351W and AOD
Not Ranked     

Hi Josh

I have a 351 stroked to 392 and I am very happy with it. I have about 600 miles and smile whenever i think about the fun - The only thing i would recommend is the heat shields - they have prevented me from a snake bite more times than i can count. I would not install the fender mirror and instead get John to add a mirror on the windshield - that is all i can think of --

I look forward to seeing your BDR -

jim
Old 04-15-2004, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 1710, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripe, 428 FE with dual quads
Not Ranked     

Josh,

Good choice. I had the 392 crate stroker in my first Superformance and it ran problem-free with only basic maintenance.

As for must haves, don't hook up the oil cooler because some 392's have experienced problems with low oil pressure and have failed as a result. Also, get the MSD ignition with the rev limiter. It's good insurance no matter how careful you are.

Good Luck.