Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     
Default Fan Indicator Light

Is the yellow indicator lamp supposed to light all the time the fans are running, or just when the fan switch is turned on?
Seems like it should be the latter.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2682, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Just when the fans are turned on manually
Old 03-22-2004, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's what I would have thought, but it is lit whenever the fans are running even with the manual switch off. I wonder if there is a way to wire it differently?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

The 1 I just drove had the light on all the time. It was Boudy's demo. Couldn't tell if the fans were on all the time or manually, they were off when the key was off and with 400 horses waiting you couldn't hear much else.

Then again ...... there I was with the key on and no fire ... check the key was all the way to the right ....... and ahhh harrr push button to start ...... not that one thou .... that was the horn which we now know works .... the little one hiding above the key.

We have fire ...... we had fire ...... make note to self to turn on the fuel pump. Now we have fire and it stays lit.

He still wants me to learn this left hand drive stick (I've driven 20 years right hand drive) on the track ......... ooookkkkk. It was a blast - and not nearly as hard as I was expecting.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suspect track cars would be wired to have the light on when the cooling fans are on. On the street I don't see a need for this. If you want, I'll trace the wires to the light and email you the colors and where they go. Should be simple to correct. I've asked BDR for a wiring diagram, but all they seem to be able to produce is an installation wiring schematic.
Let me know. Work today, available this PM

Chet
Old 03-23-2004, 05:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Cobra75,

There are some other ways to wire them. When would you like them to be on? Let me know what you want and I'll show you how to wire it appropriately.

slithering
Old 03-23-2004, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by CSCHWER

.... If you want, I'll trace the wires to the light and email you the colors and where they go. Should be simple to correct. I've asked BDR for a wiring diagram, but all they seem to be able to produce is an installation wiring schematic.
Let me know. Work today, available this PM

Chet
Great, email is schhfh@cox.net. I too would love to have the complete BDR wiring diagram.

Quote:
Originally posted by slithering

Cobra75,

There are some other ways to wire them. When would you like them to be on? Let me know what you want and I'll show you how to wire it appropriately.

slithering
Terrific...I think the light should be on only when the manual switch is energized. The fan's automatically come on with the thermostat when the ignition is on...that's great. But I don't think one needs to have that yellow light glaring you in the face to tell you the obvious especially at night.

Guys, Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Cobra75; 03-23-2004 at 07:51 AM..
Old 03-23-2004, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I have tried various ways of connecting the fan light on my Arntz. I believe that the way you have it is the best. Those electric fans and thermal switches are not all that reliable. Sometimes a fuse blows or a relay sticks and the temperature will keep climbing until, BOOM! It's much better to KNOW that the fan is on if the temperature is high. I located my light at the far right of my dash and it's green. When I'm creeping in traffic, I keep an eye on the water temp. If it gets over 200, that fan better be on. There have been times, though, that it's not. Then you have to hit the manual switch. That little light saved me some expensive repairs.

I think next time I open the dash, I'll install a two color LED. It will glow green if the thermal switch turns the fan on and yellow if it's turned on by the switch. That will help me remember to turn it off after the traffic picks up.

Paul
Old 03-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,
My solution to the gauge monitoring was to install a Autometer Tri-Alert for about $70. It monitors a set point on 3 different gauges and turns on my generator light if one of the readings gets above or below the set point.

Chet
Old 03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Chet,

Wow, that's neat! I don't suppose that it would work with Stewart Warner guages, though?

Paul
Old 03-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It works with VDO. I think it would work with any "short sweep" gauge.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     

i put a second auto meter voltmeter in the fan circuit
when this voltmeter is zero, i know the fan is not running
when it is 13 volts i know the fan is on
i did not want a light in my face (my ugly face)
if the engine runs hot , i have to figure the t stat went bad and switch to manual, if still no volts i know to kill the motor to find out what went wrong.
tom
Old 03-24-2004, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Cobra75,

You just have to install an isolation relay. You energize the coil and it closes a normally- open set of contacts. Having said that, you can then energize the coil off the thermostat side, and bingo your lit only when the fans are running. I'll be glad to walk you through it. Send me an email.

Chris-
slithering