Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2004, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR / 347 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Replacement springs

Boudy,
I'm going to replace my springs, front and rear but have some questions.
1. What model BMW springs do I look for? 318, 325, 328?
2. Which engine do I specify?
3. Are the stock BDR springs for a stock ride height BMW or are they lowering springs?
4. Are the stock (newer BDR's) springs a standard replacement BMW spring rate or are they custom made for BDR?

I can't deal with my rear suspension bottoming out any more. Going to have to do something. The ride quality is currently terrible over anything but the smoothest roads. Summer is about here and I want to be ready.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

hey Chuck,

Let me know what you find out. I don't know any of those answers either.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR / 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Dennis,

Will do. Haven't heard anything yet.

Chuck
Old 03-31-2004, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Chuck
Me too, may have the same problem.
Thanks
Trueoo7
Old 04-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Interesting to note. In previous conversations with RD while looking at these cars for some potential friends/customers, this is something that I brought up as a possible concern. i.e. how effective is the suspension, is it adjustable, and can it handle 400 or+ horsepower? The response I got was to upgrade to the M3 suspension at purchase...

I wonder if this is still the recommendation or how it relates as a possible fix to your concern of bottoming out?

It would also be good to know what other performance aftermarket BMW shocks and springs could directly replace what stock shocks/springs you have now. Maybe that is an option as well. Let us know how it goes or what you determine as your upgrade/fix... I'm sort of still watching how the BDR cars shake out over the first couple of years. Thanks.

Good Luck.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 392
Not Ranked     
Default rear springs

Ijust test drove my new bdr cobra and it rides great. Why dont you call Reg & FRank at backdraft and have them resolve your spring problem, Im sure they have a fix.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

I only have 300 miles on my new BDR #101. So far it handles great, no problems with springs. Has not bottomed out yet, I don't expect it will. (I have the standard suspension). I have gone over some bumpy roads too. It actually handles too nicely for a Cobra. A good friend with a CSX 4000 car said my BDR handles more like his M Roadster than his Shelby Cobra! (go figure). I have the first BDR in the CACC crowd, and everyone that has seen it is very impressed with the quality and appearence of this car. I even had one club member ask.."What's so special about a Superformance to cost $10K more than this?" Nice work Regg!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

chuckmynatt
How did this problem ever work out for you? I have 500 miles on mine and the left rear tire is starting to rub on the inner fender well when I hit moderate bumps. Are there any adjustments that you found or coilovers that fit and solve the problem? I have car #38 and I'm getting worried about doing damage to the body if I don't find an answer soon. On the left side I can only get my index finger between the tire and the body. The right side I can get two fingers in between.
Thanks
Trueoo7
Old 06-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Adjustability?

I wonder if some of you that have experienced "rubbing" are running slightly oversized tires as compared to others that are not rubbing?

Are all of you running the type same springs and shocks, and are the shocks adjustable?

...just wondering if there is an apples to apples comparison here between the BDR cars...

If not, I've found that rear adjustable shocks are fairly necessary on Cobras, especially well-powered Cobras that squat really hard under power coming out of turns or under hard acceleration. Adjustability here makes it nice so you can set the suspension based on your (preference) need and condition..... soft for those cruising days, or firm for those more agressive roads or events. I run a different car, but this principle is the same.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

The rear suspension has a ride height adjustment. If that didn't get your desired results, second move would be to replace the shocks with adjustable coilovers. This works well as the origional ride issue was solved by only adding 30lb to the spring rate of each side. It's inexpensive, simple, and offers adjustablity.

Now, if you want to completely change springs for racing or whatever reason, they are not BMW replacements. They are BMW springs, but have to be purchased by spring rates, not year-make-model. There are many BMW race parts dealers who sell them. Contact Reg for spring rates and application.

Hope this helps.

Boudy
Old 06-14-2004, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 351W
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Who has changed springs?

I have BDR #88 and there is no adjustments left in any spring. I understand from talking to Reg that the springs were changed somewhere between 85 and 90. I am intrested to know if anyone is having the same problems as I am and what is your car build #.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Beck Lister-Corvette
Not Ranked     

"chuckmynatt" got another set of springs for his Backdraft from Anthem and they did the trick. I expect that he will respond to this thread soon but if not I will ping him later this week.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Sorry to tag on to an old thread, but has anyone added coilovers to the rear? If so, what brand, model etc. Did they help the bottoming? This would seem to be an easier fix than replacing the springs.
John
Old 06-30-2005, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 with 373's
Not Ranked     

I do not know if this will help. I had rear springs on my first Factory Five and did experience some bottoming out , so when I built my second FF I made sure I put rear coilovers on, and it did help with bottoming out and also with the handling and ride. The company that I used was VPM. I hope this helps , but if not just ignore.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

I've got #128. I was complaining about the stiff ride and Tony said they went to a stiffer spring because everybody was complaining about the ride.

I adjusted my ride height so there is about 1 inch between the top of the tire and the wheel well opening. I was running 30+ pounds in the tires and was taking a beating (great for the track but not-so-great on the street. Recent threads suggested lowereing the tire pressure to 25-28 pounds and it made a big difference in the ride. I am not sure you will get $3,000.00 worth of ride improvement with the M3 upgrade. Probably just stop faster.

I'm not wild about the stiffness but I am sure it is better that soggy. Duane, you are welcome to take mine out at meeting next weekend.