Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 211, 408, tko 600
Not Ranked     
Default Finally

Made the deposit on my car at the reptile roundup. I have waited most of my life for this. I first met Reg and Frank in Ft.Lau
three years ago and have attended 03 and 04 Reptiles with no car. Next year I'll have one!

I'm looking at a 408. I would like at least 500hp. I also plan on the 17" wheels. Has anyone tried the Keith Craft 408 crate motor?
Any input would be great.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

I have not had a Keith Craft motor but I don't think you can go wrong with one of his 408's. I looked at one and called and spoke with someone in his shop. I could have bought his crate motor for just about what I have in my motor. It was the econo version but it had scat crank, forged pistons, AFR 185 head, some really quality parts. Good luck with your car you'll love it.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

MDP727,

Congrats on your new order.

What color did you order? What options are you getting besides the 17" rims & tires?

The Keith Craft 408 stroker sounds like the ticket (575 hp / 550 ft pounds of torque).

I'm sure you're going to have a blast with your new car.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Titanium/wblack stripes, black int. 17" wheels. Black powder coat pipes. Standard suspension, I'd like a glove box. Single roll bar. Thinking about a posi rear end. Oil cooler.

Anybody have any wish they would of hads after the fact?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

I always suggest at least getting the brackets fitted for the pass roll-ber. Even if you don't get the bar now, should you do so in the future it's much easier to fit it.

regards
Old 11-15-2004, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

The 17" wheels come both full polished and regular finish. Be sure you spec which you want. The ones you looked at on my car{black w/silver stripe} were the full polished.
David
Old 11-15-2004, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 89 KEITH CRAFT ALL ALUMINUM 427 WINDSOR
Not Ranked     

MDP 727

When I ordered my BDR, I did not like the way the seat belts were mounted, those eyebolts with the big washers just seemed plain tacky to me(personal preference). The mounting bar on the drivers side roll bar was ok, just didn,t look right to me when the passenger side was mounted with the eyebolts. I had them leave the upper belts not mounted but I wanted all the hardware to mount. I installed the eyebolts on the bar where the rear roll bar is mounted, ran them thru the bulkhead, finished the holes off with plates from FinishLine. They look fantastic and work great. Pictures of them can be seen in my gallery. The battery disconnect switch, I had BDR to move it behind the passenger seat,looks and works great especially since it is not out in the open in the center of the bulkhead.One other thing, if you are going to use a KCR 408 motor, you will probably have to have new headers made to take advantage of the large exhaust ports and if you do have them made with bolt together flanges. That way you don't have to worry about the leaking slip fit headers. I love my BDR, the right and perfect car for me, I think it is a top of the line car, but their headers are a piece of junk(just mt opinion). Your sidepipes may be better than The ones I got, I think they ae still using the same type though, they will cost that motor(408) about 50-80 horsepower or more, something to think about later on making a better set.

GOOD LUCK
DON
Old 11-17-2004, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey thanks DC. I agree about the headers. At the track in G-ville most of the backdrafts kept backfiring, I think it was due to the header set up. Did you go locally to have those made or is there a place you can order them from?
Old 11-17-2004, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MDP427

I had my headers made by the boys over at Kieth Craft Motorsports in Plano, Texas. They(ROB) done a fantastic job on them, he also did the motor install. If you go with the KCR 408 motor in the BDR, I promise you will be impressed. Feel free anytime to ask about something on the BDR, I love to give my "opinion" HA!HA!

DON
Old 11-20-2004, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DC, did you have a whole new exhaust made or just the header and stick a flange on the existing side pipe?

Has anyone switched to a mechanical fuel pump instead of the electric? Has there been many fuel delivery problems with the electric system?

Anyone have or wish they would have gotten a limited slip rear?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MDP727

I had new headers made and then they welded a new flange on the sidepipes, thus making them bolt together, no leaks no worries.

I run a mechanical fuel pump that KCR put on when they built the motor, no fuel starvation problems here.

I ordered my car with a limited-slip option, I knew what I wanted when I ordered it, wouldn't have it any other way. I have my original LS rearend that I would sell for $500(plus shipping), that is what I paid for LS option, it has 3.23 gears, fine for most people, just not to my liking.

DON
Old 11-20-2004, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What gears are you running now?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

My BDR was backfiring at Gainesville. Reg said he would fix it for me at Garlits on Saturday. I said "why would I want to do that?" Once you run it for a while, they use a tool to expand the pipes for tighter fit. I like the clean look of the slip fit headers.

I am using a mechanical fuel pump on a 408. That's the way it comes from Southern Automotive.

So far, I'm not the least bit concerned with the open diff that came with the car. I have the 17" wheel/tire package. The only time the tires broke loose at all was coming out of turn one. The Nitto drag radials stick like a mutha. Get on the gas, the rear end squats on off you go.

So far the only other thing I would like is the soft-top that I ordered. Hopefully it won't be too long.

One thing about Reg and Frank is if there is anything your not happy with, they will make it right.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42

Last edited by Gatorac; 11-20-2004 at 03:39 PM..
Old 11-20-2004, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MDP727

I am running 3.73 gears now,with my particular engine combo, she can be a beast and pretty scary.

DON
Old 11-21-2004, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

MDP427: Congradulations on taking the leap. I've used several Keith Craft engines and the 408's went into two of my customer's cars. It's an expensive route but I don't hear complaints from the guy's who have them. I personally like the car below the 550 HP range. It's more drivable and enjoyable for me. As DCCobra will gladly tell you, it's a beast and one does not relax while trying to control a beast.

Boudy

Last edited by Boudy; 11-21-2004 at 05:06 PM..