Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Post Adding A Heater??

Looking for any feedback on usefulness / installing a heater.
Wondering how useful a heater is in a Cobra. Having another convertible here in Ohio, I know the heater can come in handy even in the summer on cool nights. I haven't had mine long enough to know how much heat radiates in from the motor.

Has anyone installed one? Any recommendations as I have seen many kits out there?

Thanks,
John
Old 01-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Without a top and side curtains the heater isn't much use on the highway but around town you can feel it.
With top and side curtains I've been out in temps down to 35 degrees and been comfortable on the freeway. It's still drafty but hey, this is a mid 60's British roadster, by law they have to be drafty and leak.
DonC
Old 01-26-2005, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

I had a heater installed by KeithCraft Motorsports, the same crew that built my engine. Due to space limitations, the heater is located where the glove compartment would be in a "normal" car.

Off-Hi-Lo. That's it. Blows straight down on the passenger's legs.

I believe I paid $400 installed.

Almost worthless without a ragtop, though.

Hey, Reg- where IS my top? The first week of Dec. you told me three weeks.

Oh, well.

UT
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

Hey UT,

Hows the car coming along? Hey John I don't have a heater in my car and I can't imagine one reason to have one as I don't have a top, but my wife said she would like one.

later Dennis
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Installed heater/defroster in mine from the start, but intended driving car in all but snow & ice.

If floorpan, firewall, and footboxes are properly insulated, there is no engine heat in cockpit. Heater is darn nice even on chilly summer nights. This was not a futile idea.

With just tonneau cover, car is driven on very chilly early spring/late fall days & nights. Footwells stay toasty.

With top and sidecurtains, car is driven in sub-freezing temps. Car stays right toasty.

Water still gets in during a downpour, but stays reasonably dry in light rain.

Thought rain would enter hoodscoop and wet ignition or soak aircleaner. It doesen't. Engine heat keeps things dry.

Sub-freezing temps will cause plastic sidecurtain or rear window to crack if folded too sharply.

Continue thread and I'll detail how.

Last edited by Jack21; 02-02-2005 at 08:43 PM..
Old 01-26-2005, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Heater keeps knee or foot or small portion of leg hot. With top up and side curtains on, SOME heat may stay inside! My advice is to wear LOTS of layers, and thick, gauntlet-type gloves, and something to keep the ears warm!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All,
Thanks for the advice/input. As I have no current plans for a top, I'll just keep and extra jacket and hat in the trunk for now.

Need a warm day. I feel the need for ...........

John
Old 01-31-2005, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

You want heat, install a side oiler and remove the firewall insulation under the stainless panels. That'll make it nice and toasty. As for an aftermarket heater, it's almost futile. If you do install one, try to split the ductwork to give you flow on both sides.

Boudy
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boudy,
Thanks for the tip. The next time my wife asks for heat, I'll tell her what we need......
It would be tough to split the duct. Replacing some switches right now. Not to much room behind the dash.

John
Old 02-02-2005, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178
Not Ranked     

How about the heated seats? I saw them advertised here for a while. Has anybody tried them out and are they worth it?
I've got the heated seats in my suburban and man do those things keep you toasty. I've thought about them for my roadster but wanted to see if anybody else has tried them first.
I dont have a heater in mine but I did get the softtop. The softtop keeps the majority of the cold wind off you, but I still wear a leather coat and skull cap to keep from getting frostbit in this 30-40 degree weather. If those seat warmers work they may be just the ticket vs. a heater.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

I put the heated seats in mine, I love them. Cost less than a heater also. If my Butt is warm, I'm warm. Cover your ears, and fingers and put in heated seats. No top required.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178
Not Ranked     

tfarhood, who did you purchase your heated seats through?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

I have a heater in mine and backdraft put a duck to the drivers side. you can see it, but well worth it to put it in.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got mine from Reg. I think mine was the first one ever made by Backdraft. Get one from him, it's the only one that will fit. Don't bother unless you have a top.
Scott
Old 02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #103, Ford Crate 392
Not Ranked     

I put a/c and heat in my BDR. It fits fine, looks good and works great. I was able to hide all the vent hoses. It does help even without the top up.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

It has been said that some states require heater/defrosters to pass vechile inspection for registration. True/False??
Old 03-03-2005, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

True in NY
Old 03-03-2005, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley
Not Ranked     

I put one in to keep the wife happy didn't do real good on the heat part. I used a early dodge manual water shut off with a choke cable to it had trouble getting one that didn't leak took 3 trips from napa.
Ken
Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Virginia requires functioning defroster for annual safety inspection. Only option is to put Antique tags on car.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

http://www.cobraheat.com/

I will be putting these heated seat elements in mine. Cheaper then a heater. I've been in a few cobras with heaters. Personally I don't think they work that great.