Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Carb Choke, yes or no?

I will be installing a Demon carb on a Ford 392 Crate motor. I live in the north east. Should I have a choke on the carb. What are the pros and cons? Electric or manual?

Cobrak
Old 02-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

No choke on my Mustang with a Demon. Have driven it in November on occasion.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Self Built, 427 USRRC, 427FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     

cobrak,
We install a push/pull choke on all our Holley setups, just makes kickin her over in the cold much easier on the engine. Eliminate the Italian Tuneup Phase of the first minutes rpm range!
Cost less than $30 and very original, since 60% plus of the COBRAs had em.
grumpy
Old 02-15-2005, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

I don't but I live in California. That said I'd never take off "cold" whether I lived in California or CT. It takes about 30 seconds to get it running on it's own and 3 min to be ready to run.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Mine is the same as Scobracs. No choke, but the engine builder told me to not run it over 2,000 RPM until I had the temps up. On a warm day here, 110+, that doesn't really take to long. On a cold day it may take from 3 to 5 minutes. Takes me that long to get all the belts buckled.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-15-2005, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

I have a 750 double pumper Holley with an electric choke. Before I connected the choke to power my engine was extremely hard to start. Crank, crank ,crank . After I hooked up the power and adjusted the choke she fires up with just a touch of the button.
David
Old 02-15-2005, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I have a Holly 750 with vacuum secondaries and a manual choke. That black choke knob (push pull type) with "Holly" embossed on it , looks pretty cool on the dash (my opinion).

I know you can see that I live in Canada and must need a choke because "it is so cold in Canada". But, where I live, Leamington Ontario is on the same latitude as northern California. In fact, it is one of the only places in Canada that the USA is north of Canada.

I put the cobra away for the winter in the last week of November. So a choke is probably not needed, but, it is a lot easier to start on cool mornings with a choke.

Paul
Old 02-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

For me a choke is a must. Too much work to get her started without it. Idles rich for about ten minutes and then the engine settles down and is ready to rock.

I start my car about every three to four weeks ( some times less ) in the winter and the choke is a requirement.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

I run a demon 750 and had it this first winter without choke. Pain to sit and coach throttle till warm. I ordered a manual choke through summit a month ago. Works great and easy to use. I like it - $35.