Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2005, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1158, BDR #180
Not Ranked     
Default Still Smoking

My new BDR is smoking very bad on startup. It's only got 355 miles on it. I've re-torqued the headbolts to no avail. I'm relatively certain I have one of the newer ford crate motors with a warranty.

I'm trying to get in touch with Reg now to see what's the best way to get it repaired.

I'm thinking I'd prefer to get the car back in Reg's hands and let them make it "all better".
Old 03-12-2005, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

What color is the smoke? does it only smoke on start up or does it clear up after its ran for a while. Do you have a 393, 347, or other engine? I almost bought a crate engine but I went with a local machine shop just because ford didn't have a warranty at the time. Keep everyone informed. sorry your having problems but Reg is a great guy.

later dennis
Old 03-12-2005, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dennis,
All good questions. The smoke is pure white and it only smokes on startup (then it goes away). It's a 393 crate motor from Ford which are coming with a warranty now (12 month/12,000 miles).

From my conversations prior to this, I know Reg is a class act and will take care of me.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Pressure test your cooling system. White smoke is an indicator of coolant, blue is oil, black is fuel.
If your cooling system will not retain pressure it is indicative of a bad gasket seal (intake manifold ot head gasket, assuming none of your hoses are leaking) and will allow coolant under pressure after shutdown to enter the intake manifold or combustion chamber. Frustrating I know.
Best of luck to you.

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-12-2005, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

REtorque the intake just to be safe. It sounds like a gasket head or intake. When you retorqued the headbolts did you apply sealer on the bottom head bolts? I had a coolant leak due to a intake leak. the guy that built my engine advised not to retorque the heads due to the type of head gasket and sealer on the bolts. I was told not to over torque the intake on aluminum heads because it will cause a head gasket leak. Reg is a class act and its great you have a warranty. Don't over torque any bolts.

You may have to put new gaskets on it (intake and head) .

Later Dennis
Old 03-13-2005, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

I have seen loose bolts all over the Ford box engines. What fluid is coming up short after you drive the car?
Lets not forget that some NEW engines will tend to smoke at times till the rings seat. Pull the plugs and read them. If they all show clean it may just be that you need to run it till the rings set. If you get a dirty one you may have a problem in that cylinder.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, guys. I'll re-torque the intake just to be on the safe side. I should be able to get to that later today.

I know new engines will smoke until the rings seat but this is pure white smoke and a lot of it (it's like a smoke screen) only on startup and then it goes away after a couple of seconds. That doesn't sound like rings, does it?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It sounds like coolant in the combustion chamber. Retorque the intake and see if that helps. When it warms up somethings expanding sealing the leak. does the smoke come out of one or both side pipes? I would not run the engine if you don't get it to stop smoking. where the head bolts loose? After you retorque the intake let the motor run and get hot so that all the coolant is burnt off. then restart from cold. I bet that its your intake gasket.

later Dennis
Old 03-13-2005, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Antifreeze will smell when it burns. Pure white is steam. Light gray is oil. Black is fuel.
Again before you start it next time pull the plugs and check them. If they look ok spin the engine over without the plugs and see what shoots out the plug holes. If you find a wet plug or water shoots out of one of the holes you will know you have a water leak. Any water on the end cylinders could be intake problems. Any from the center are going to be head gasket or bigger problems.
Same goes for oil. If the intake leaks oil into the cylinders you should have a pretty even pattern as most intake gaskets will draw oil on one whole side when they go bad. The aftermarket "Race" style are the worse. The heavy paper, kind of like a cheap header gasket, will draw oil right thru the paper till the silicon seal fails.
Again the best and fastest way to figure it out would be to pull the plugs.

Last edited by Bruce Edwards; 03-13-2005 at 08:14 AM..
Old 03-13-2005, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick and Bruce are right PSI test and pull the plugs first. Lest us know what it was. Are you running straight water or a mix of anti freeze?

later Dennis.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't get a chance to work on it today, but it's my only real task for tomorrow. I'll pull the plugs, pressure test the coolant system, and re-torque the intake.

I'll post tomorrow night after the work with the results. Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't pressure test it before you pull the plugs. The last thing you want to do is fill a cylinder with water. After you pull the plugs and spin it over to see if anything comes out would be a better time to test it. If you forget and turn it over with a cylinder full of water you can bend a rod. Not good or fun.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SAPS

Whats the verdict? new gaskets or just a re-torque.

later Dennis
Old 03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dennis,
Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately due to some health problems, I haven't been able to do anything to the car. It's priority dropped pretty rapidly..if you know what I mean.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I know something.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all for the advice. Once I got over my health issues, the problems appears to have been a leaking intake manifold. The majority of the bolts on the manifold were VERY loose.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 351/408 stroker - TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I don't know about you guys, but for the money we spend on these cars you would think we would not have to work on these cars constantly fixing problems. Is this just the nature of the beast. My experiences have deffinitiely redefined the phrase "turnkey".

Websters now reads "turnkey" to find next problem...
Old 05-30-2005, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Argghh!!!

My troubles continue...

After thinking I had it fixed (by re-torqueing the heads and intake), the problem got MUCH worse. I took it into the shop. After checking the heads, intake, etc they discovered a crack in one of the cylinders.

This engine has less than 400 miles on it, was taken care of, has never been run hard.

I've got a call into Frank and Reg to see what can be done to get this problem worked out.

I'll update everyone on the progress.

Arghh....

Last edited by saps; 05-30-2005 at 10:20 AM..
Old 05-30-2005, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

That's a real bummer! Hope you get it resolved soon!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The block should have been check by the machine shop before and after boring. It would seem to me that the fault falls to the builder and machine shop.
The only way a bore will crack is because it is to thin. Sonic testing would have shown that.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was a Ford crate motor. The problem is definitely with Ford, but I went with that motor based on Reg's recommendation and since they have the relationship with the supplier, I'm hopeful they'll be able to help me out. I believe the engine has a 12month/12,000 mile warranty.