Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2005, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 187 Prism Red w/Silver stripes; 427 stroker by Smeding Performance, Tremec TKO600 gearbox
Not Ranked     
Default Well, I just took the plunge--BDR 205 is mine!

Just got back from Ca Cobra, where I purchased BDR 205. It is Prism Red with silver stripes. Now I just need to put together a drivetrain (and make some space for it in my garage). Hope to take delivery in around two weeks. Man am I stoked!

'round Midnight
Old 03-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing BDR144
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on BDR #205!

I was at Ca Cobra a few weeks ago and saw a new Red and Silver BDR sitting there, maybe it was her. Or was it Red with Bronzemist? Anyway, you will enjoy it. Armond and his crew are great to deal with and will help you with anything you need.

Are you going to do the drivetrain yourself?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Congrats on buying BDR #205!

I hope you will enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine! The guys at Cal. Cobra are the best. Armond will take very good care of you and your car. I would recommend an engine from Smeding Performance and for a tranny a Tremec. Armond has all the information you will need. Have fun.

BTW, the color combination you chose is excellent.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

I'm happy for you, Dude!

With all the assorted problems #139 has had, (call it Fate, Karma, Bad Vibes, whatever, NOT Backdraft's neglect!) I figure #140 through #240 should have smooth sailing. All the bad stuff allocated for them has happened already to #139. (Did I mention that she was lost in the Bermuda Triangle from SA? Another story. Never mind.)

I recommend a 351W-based engine with a Tremec TKO 500 or 600.

I also recommend, unless you have mechanical skills greater than mine (most people do) and better eyesight than mine, that you contact a reputable engine builder and have them do a "turn-key" powertrain install.

You will pay through the nose, but they will probably do a shakedown cruise, or 12, dyno tests, many, watch your Baby like it was their first-born, and deliver you something you can love and trust.

I got Gunrack to drive, not to wax.

Welcome aboard.

Pix, please. Mine are... interesting.

UT
Old 03-13-2005, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 187 Prism Red w/Silver stripes; 427 stroker by Smeding Performance, Tremec TKO600 gearbox
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen-

Thanks for your encouraging words. One of my objectives in this purchase is to do an automotive project with my teenage son. So, my plan is for us to build and install the drivetrain ourselves. Buying a crate engine de-scopes the project a little too much for me, so we are planning to buy a short block and build the engine up from that. I'm going to go with a 351 stroker. I'm thinking of around 500hp/500 lb-ft, but may back off a bit if I have to sacrifice reliability and streetability.

Since I have never built an engine before and do not know much about how to select components that work well together, I have been looking for engine builders that will essentially sell me a crate engine as a kit, with only the short block assembled. I have talked to Keith Craft, and they are willing to work that way. They have a great reputation, but they are pretty pricey, and shipping costs will be high. I will be talking to Smeding this week, since Armond recommends them so highly. If they are willing to sell me a kit and the price is reasonable, I will probably go with them, as I know I will get good support from them and Armond. I'm sure we will have many stupid questions.

BTW, I know that I am taking a risk here with doing my own build, since there will be no warranty, and screw-ups can be expensive, but it's one I'm willing to take for the knowledge and satisfaction we'll gain from doing it ourselves.

I am leaning toward a T5 gearbox from Armond, with a short shifter kit. Interesting that two of you recommend the Tremec. Armond kind of talked me out of it, saying that because it is a race transmission, the shift effort is high. I would like to hear more on this. One thing I like about the Tremec is that the shifter can be moved forward.

Also:

Wayne: You haven't seen the car. Armond just got it in on Friday. It was sitting there yesterday just the way he got it. Nothing has been done to it yet. Armond's shop was paradise on Earth yesterday. There were SIXTEEN Cobras in there!

Skipb: I fell in love with those colors the first time I saw them. However, I had slight second thoughts when I saw a total of four Ferrari red cars at Armond's yesterday. That is also a gorgeous color for a Cobra, especially without stripes. I decided to stick with the Prism Red in the end, though. BTW, my real-life name is also Skip. Small world.

UT: I have read some of your tales of woe over the past several months of going through this forum. Glad to see you can keep a positive attitude with all the bad stuff that has happened!

I'll post pics when I have some.

Cheers,

'round Midnight
Old 03-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Congrats! You bought the combo I had my eye on to replace #208 which is enroute to CA as I type!

As for the transmission, at those power levels you need the Tremec. I would not mess with anything exceeding 400/400 on the T5 unless there is a G in the name

Keith Craft has some of the best values out there right now so the price should not be an issue with what he delivers ... glad to see the absence of CHP in you post
Old 03-13-2005, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cashburn-

Could you please elaborate on your remark about a T5 with a G in the name? I don't understand.

I have had multiple sources unrecommend CHP.

'round Midnight
Old 03-13-2005, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

About that T5 vs. Tremec...

Gunrack has a Tremec TKO 500.

Billet shifter.

When you light her off, and grab the shifter, "Shift Effort" is bullshift after your first run through the gears.

We are talking hundreds, not thousands, of dollars, price difference.

A short-throw SOLID gearshift.

Every time, up or down.

I am 6' 1" and with the seat all the way back, with my right shoe off, I am good to go in a BDR.

Factor in adrenaline. I WANT my shifter to fight me, just a little bit.

Safety factor, maybe, it ain't broken in yet, 1100 miles.

Engine- drive-train package- PM me.

UT
Old 03-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

G-Force T5

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing #111 351 hot
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Congratulations Round-Midnight!,

You're going to love your new car and Armond/ Ca Cobra will treat you right.
One of the Corsa Rossa Red cars you saw was mine, I just dropped it off for service Friday / BDR #111.
I bought it from Armond last year at the Del Mar Good Guys show and it's been kick in the ass fun ever since.
The Smeddings 351 hot is a good choice, very tractable and still gutsy for the street.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...........Bushwhacker
Old 03-13-2005, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rounder, Good Choice on colors. Nice to see another one in progress in San Diego.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #200 with a KCR 575/550 408
Not Ranked     

Congratulations, RM!

I just bought BDR 200 and started a thread regarding a complete list of everything that is needed for a BDR turnkey minus HERE. I'd appreciate your input as you go thru your build. Thanks and have a great time.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Decisions, decisions!

I have narrowed my engine choices down to two, both from Smedings: a 351w (not stroked) that puts out around 400/400, or a 427 stroker that puts out around 530/540. $2k price difference. Trying to figure out if I have the cajones to go for the big one. Armond says he will have examples of both in his shop next Tuesday, and he will take me for a ride in each. (I think one of them is yours, Bushwhacker.)

If I go with the small engine, I will get a T5 transmission. Interestingly, Armond says that a T5 will also be ok with the big engine if I don't abuse it. I have a feeling I will go with the Tremec if I get the 427.

Also:

Bushwhacker--I think I figured out which red car is yours. The lowered one, right? Armond told me that used to be his personal car.

xlr8or--Thanks for the comment. Hope I get to see your aluminum car someday.

hp/weight--I have seen your thread. I will post when I have somethng intelligent to add.

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation!

-Pete Townshend, Tommy
Old 03-16-2005, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Round Midnight;

I was thinking about a Smeding engine myself. Smeding was very informative and friendly when I called them. I have heard good thing about them in articles I have read. You should talk to them directly. I believe the 351W (400/400) has a used block. The 427W has a new Sportsman block. I think the 427W is a better deal. My concern was with how street friendly the engine was. The compression is above 10. I am considering going with the Ford Motor Sports crate motor, 392 ci, 430 HP, 450 torque.

CobraK
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Round Midnight,

About the engine. If I had to do it over again, I would probably still go with Smeding, but maybe a stroker and nearer 500hp and not 400hp like I have now (351w). 400 seemed like enough until I drove one at Armond's with about 500! More power please! The one good thing about the 351 at 400 hp is smooth power, a little "cammy", but it runs strong and cool. It starts and idles easily and well. I know some of the higher horsepower engines are a bit more tempermental. I've had mine in bad traffic jams and with the fans on ran nice and cool and didn't load up at all.

As for the transmission. The Tremec 3550 I have is a little stiff, but very positive in the action. I do have some problems getting it into reverse, especially when it is warm! Go figure! Other than that, it has been great. I believe the T5 is smoother, but several people have said it is not as durable as the 3550 and TKOs. I am not sure as I have no real experience with the T5s. I have the traditional forward facing shift lever that is I think by nature a little slower in shifting as it is more of an up and down motion and not a natural motion when shifting. If you want fast shifts move the shifter up front, I am sure this will make it faster. It just didn't look right to me.

I hope to meet you someday. Either on the road when you get it finished or at Armond's if you are there someday. My car is all black with no stripes. Maybe I'll see you soon. I am thinking about starting up a local Backdraft club in the San Diego area. Very low key and mainly for fun. Any interest to any of you reading this?

Let me know.

See ya!

The other Skip
Old 03-23-2005, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A curious turn of events...

I went to Ca Cobra yesterday to make a decision on engines. Armond had both a 351w 400 hp car and a 427 500+ hp stroker car. I rode in both, and decided to go with the stroker. The acceleration is just breathtaking. Also, I kind of like the lumpy idle. It lets everyone know that there is some serious iron under the hood. I will get a Tremec 5-speed with a mid shifter. I really don't like the motion you need use to shift with the reversed shifter.

So, I ordered the engine today from Smeding. I don't know exactly when I'll get it, though. They're waiting on blocks from Ford.

The curious thing, though, is that I ended up deciding to get a different chassis, #187 instead of #205. They were both sitting side by side in the shop, and I noticed for the first time that #205 has the modern-looking gauges with the bright red needles, and #187 has the vintage-looking Autometer gauges. (Both cars have the same color scheme.) I looked at those new-style gauges and just kind of went yuck! I asked Armond if he could swap them out, and he suggested I just get the other car. So I said ok! #187 also has the advantage that it has already had an engine put in it (which has since been removed), so a lot more of the prep work has been done.

Bushwhacker: I rode in your car. Very nice! It makes the most wonderful noise under hard acceleration!

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation!

-Pete Townshend, Tommy