Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default LED Lights

A few have asked about the LED light thread that went missing, when the forum DB went.

I will post more details when I take some more pic's. But here are some details on Jay's message board.

http://www.vintage-motorsports.com/f...bcfa8392ff1bdd
Old 02-25-2006, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

Big thanks Shaun. This is not only a cure for something a lot of guys have been struggling with, but also a better design than using standard bulbs. Can you please confirm part numbers for the LED's and relays. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

It's more than good..... with this combinatiom of amber and red we could pass the controls without problems, because here in europe rear turn lights must bright in amber....but looks much better in red when lights are off.

Alfonso
Old 02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

I am using LED brake tail and turn signals in my Cobra for over a year now.

I experimented with many of the different ones on the market to find the brightest ones, and settled on the ones from http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/?cat=LIGHT

but i believe that Custom dynamics http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm carries the same ones (with the side facing LED's), and they also have these really trick ones with a red brake light in the middle with a circle of LED's around the outside called Dynamic Clusters for a directional indicator which would give you four bright brake lights And blinkers.

If you have the minx style tail lights the LEDs are a must have item ta make them far brighter than a regular lamp (because they don't have reflectors in them) and also as a safety item because they don't heat up. There was another thread that was lost about people having fires start from things in the trunk getting into the lamp because it isn't sealed in back.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)

Last edited by Yetiman; 02-26-2006 at 05:04 PM..
Old 02-27-2006, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LED are from Custom Dynamics
Running light & Brake light are part 3208-18 (1.85" Diameter Replacement Cluster RED)
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

Turn Signal & Brake light are part #3209-38 (1.85" Dynamic Cluster LED Turn Signals)
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...c_clusters.htm
These have pigtail for turn signel and hard wire for brake. If you look at my pic's you will notice I cut off the pigtail and hard wired them.
(pigtail is the end that fit's into a normal bulb socket)

Relay, (just about any 12v relay will do) I used this
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
RS part #275-241

Also, when using LED's of this sort, you generally need to add a load, otherwise the turn signals will flash quickley (just like they do when one bulb is blown). I did not need to do this on my BDR. But you may need to, depending on what kind of flasher relay BDR used of other cars.
If you do, then this is what you would need from Custom Dynamics #4810 @ $15.25. I have one, because I fully expected to need it. so I know it fit's and works, but I did not need to install it.

Shaun

Last edited by sfeakes; 02-27-2006 at 07:31 AM..
Old 02-27-2006, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK...Here are some pic's.

I can;t use a camera for ****, so these are not that good, (espically the color differance between red and amber), but you get the idea.

-- Base Line (nothing on) --

-- Base Line (nothing on) --

-- Running Lights --

-- Running Lights --

-- Running Lights + Right turn (couldn't catch it on full brigntness) --

-- Running Lights + Right turn (couldn't catch it on full brigntness) --

-- Brake Lights --

-- Brake Lights --

-- Brake Lights + Right turn (I can't use a camera, looks red...but it's not, it's amber) --

-- Brake Lights + Right turn (I can't use a camera, looks red...but it's not, it's amber) --

Sorry. Not the best of pics, but you get the idea

Shaun
Old 02-28-2006, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

Ordering mine today. Thanks for all the help Shaun. Who needs reverse lights?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

Hey guys,

I plan on doing this also. Jeff I'll touch base with you when I get this stuff in. THanks a lot Shaun! It is a HUGE help!!!

Sid
Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

THATS COOL!!!! I want some.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Shaun,

can you look at the web site you stated and give some more information as to which you ordered...I think they may have changed some numbers/names. I couldn't find the 3208-18 item number. I think they have changed to 5302-19.

thanks I look forward to being seen
Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

Mine are in. Just got them done last night.(Thanks Mike!) I'm afraid to drive near O'Hare. Might get a 747 on my boot trying to land...they are BRIGHT! When looking in my rearview mirror at night I can see the lights brighten up all the signs! Jeff I'll be taking your advice and getting the turn signal ones also. Anybody figure out how to get all 4 on when braking? Question was probably already asked before...but figured I ask again.

Sid
Old 04-18-2007, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI BDR OWNERS: based on my cobra #244 For customdynamics.com LED Brake lights (lower lights)

BDR/LEDS
Red/Orange
Black/Black
Green/Red

sid
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

Back up lites??? I think I need to look at the back of my car
Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Great info guys, thanks for sharing. I'll have to get a set for my car...

James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

One word of caution on this thread...I LOVE the LED idea and just installed on my Lonestar indicator/brake AND running tail lights, BUT I had to change the flasher units in the Painless wiring harness to handle the 'no resistance' LEDs. The replacements cost me $40 each from Summit (one for normal flashers, one for emergency flashers, OR you need to put load resistors across the LEDs (but everything I researched indicates these as a source of heat generation...JUST what we need in Texas in the summer...LOL). Here's the replacements I used in case anyone is interested and using a Painless harness

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 04-19-2007, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since this thread has come back alive, and the origional install instructions from Jay's message board have gone, I've had a lot of PM's asking about the install.

Here are the pic's and wiring diagram, hope it's all obvious.

This is the brake & running light

This is the brake & turn signal

With this you have 3 options for the brake / turn LED cluster that will affect how the unit acts when you have BOTH brake and turn signal on.
  • 1 - No Relay (wire normally) - Brake on full intensity red all the time and turn flash amber (hard to see)
  • 2 - Connect the dotted wire in diagram - Brake on high intensity when turn is not on, and low intensity when turn is on. (sort of flashing bright red to red & amber), this is also quite hard to see.
  • 3 - Don't connect the dotted wire in diagram - Brake flashed from high intensity red to Amber with the turn. (This is the one I use)

Obviously you can use it like stock and just use 2 lights for running & Brake and 2 lights for turn, but I prefer the 4 for brake.

Last edited by sfeakes; 04-20-2007 at 07:17 AM..
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Anybody know of a source for LED lights for square style S/C lights?
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 04-19-2007, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE III
Anybody know of a source for LED lights for square style S/C lights?
Customdynamics make a buch of different options, I bet you can make one of their options fit. I use there stuff on all 4 of my bikes and the Cobra, most of what I use was designed for something else, but take some measurements and search their site.
They have LED's in strips that you can cut to your own length, and re-join, so I bet a few of those cut to the length of the lens and stuck together (to make up the width) would be perfect. you'd need to solder each strip together though.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Me Likey! Good job with the pics and diagram Sfreakes

Sid
Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

I installed these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-85-...cmdZViewItemon LED's on my lower light, which is the running and brake light. For installation you have to drill hole in housing for the wires, shave a little off the sides of the screw post for clearance. For mounting I used double sided 3M foam tape. These LED have three modes "RUNNING LIGHTS... All LED’s are on at medium intensity. STROBING BRAKE LIGHTS... All LED’s strobe for 2 seconds and remain on at high intensity as long as brakes are applied to assure visibility and safety. TURN SIGNALS... All LED's turn on at high intensity." I connected my turn signal from my top light, which was turn only to the "TURN SIGNAL"...Now I have two lights for turning, LED running and LED strobing brake lights, and the brightness looks good. The quality of the LED product seems good, potting on both side of the PCB.
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop

Last edited by tamanaco; 04-22-2007 at 05:19 AM..