Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #259 351W
Not Ranked     

Yes I get emails from Hank who is doing a great job. Meeting up with some of the guys on Saturday mornings will be good and a good way to share. I suspect Armond will attend at times and obviously he is a great knowledge source.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gregg,
Hot Rods & Custom Stuff does some great custom work and have won the Riddler Award at the Detroit Auto Show. They are also very expensive on the shop rates. There is another shop just down the street from them that does good work on North Vinewood St. I don't remember the name off the top of my head Auto Sport Performance or something like that, but they are the first business on the left side coming from Vineyard. Just down the street is Speed Dynamics if you need any parts.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...3d&ambiguity=1

Last edited by xlr8or; 03-17-2006 at 01:15 PM..
Old 03-17-2006, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

San Diego Backdraft owners,

I may have some good news, perhaps a little premature, but here goes anyway. There is a shop in San Diego (Frank Fahey Motorsports)that specializes in BMW Performance. He has looked at my Backdraft and might be interested in servicing our cars after Calfornia Cobra is gone. His place is in the Miramar area. He knows a lot about BMWs and other high perfomance cars. (Former SCCA champ in a Corvette!) One of his employees builds high performance Ford motors! They do race car fabrication, high performance tuning, and can work on cars other than BMW. As I said, he has seen my car and was fascinated by the BMW suspension and some of the fabrication from Backdraft. I don't think he wants to do all Cobra replicas, but may do our Backdrafts because of their BMW heritage. I will investigate further and let all of you know.

I will give you an example of a current project he is working on in the shop. How about a 700+hp LS7 engine/Tremec transmission in a 1988 BMW M6! They are doing all the work in house and their fabrication is excellent. Not cheap, but good. He also recently built a Superformance Cobra for a regular customer, complete with Halon fire system and a monster engine. So, he is familiar with the concept.

If any of you have had experience with Frank, let me know what you think. So far he has worked a little on my wife's BMW 528i and did a very nice job. I am looking for other input or ideas here.

One thing for sure, we need to stick together and I think Hank is doing a good job of communication! Keep it up Hank.

Skip B
Old 03-20-2006, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing bsr 351 windsor
Send a message via ICQ to salesco
Not Ranked     

anyone know of a place to get a backdraft serviced in Los Angeles, Riverside or Orange County?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Besides an oil change and transmission fluid change what type of work are you guys looking to do. These cars are eaiser to work on than a bicycle. I doubt you need a "specialized" mechanic to do anything.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Listen to Maxx... he will save you an arm and a leg
Old 03-22-2006, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #258, British Racing Green/Silver Stripes, Gray Int., 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the compliments. I'll continue to send out e-mails and keep the communication flowing.

I told Armond when he really has an answer...whether the shop is sold or he is just shutting it down, I'll send out an official e-mail and post on the Cobra forum(s). Right now, he may still have a buyer for the business. We'll just have to wait and see. I too need a couple last things done on my car and I'll be taking it out there today.

I'm not really concerned about keeping the car going. There are plenty of Ford parts stores and BMW stores around to either get it worked on or buy parts.

I'll post again when I know something more official.

Hank Steckel
BDR #258
Old 03-22-2006, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

Armond's departure and the closure of California Cobra is a real BUMMER!! Although I didn't buy a new BDR from Armond, I did buy a used LA Exotics that he had in the shop on consignment. Armond and the rest of the CC crew did a LOT of work on the LAE after I got it to get it fixed right and I applaud all their efforts and work. Guess now I'll just have to "wrench it" on my own.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Madmaxx,

These may be simple to work on if: you have the space to do so. The tools to work on them. The time to work on them. The expertise and experience to work on them. (my background is BMW, VW/Porsche engines and stuff, so Ford's are kinda foreign to me, Ha!) Don't mind doing "warranty work". And in my case the patience to do so!

California Cobra has been much more than just a shop. It is a place to congregate to shot the sh_t about cars. Brag about your own. Meet other owners. Organize meetings and runs, etc. So, all of that will be missed as well as excellent service and the friendly atmosphere offered there.

Skip B

Just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

anyone heard any news here, his website seems to be off
Old 04-04-2006, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 187 Prism Red w/Silver stripes; 427 stroker by Smeding Performance, Tremec TKO600 gearbox
Not Ranked     

I talked to Armond last Friday afternoon, and he said that it was their last day in business. Makes me very sad. I'm sure those of us in San Diego will see him around.

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation!

-Pete Townshend, Tommy
Old 04-04-2006, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #258, British Racing Green/Silver Stripes, Gray Int., 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

The shop is definately closing. Armond is finishing up promised work and selling off things he won't need. He's looking for a buyer for his paint booth. Anybody out there interested?

I expect the shop to be gone by mid-month. I had lunch with Armond today, but forgot to ask him about writing an official e-mail. I'll do that next time I see him.

Hank
Old 04-04-2006, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 323 392
Not Ranked     
Smile Ut Mba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Jay,

You might want to look into a couple of Aero Beds for the shop.

Three cars per day this week - that's awesome! At that rate, the folks in SA won't be able to build and import them fast enough.

In addition, you won't need to worry about UT or UCLA. While that might be a fun diversion, you can't beat the experience you are getting now - real world experience running a business and not b-school theory (I apologize in advance to all the MBAs out there).

Stay well.

Mike
i'm a UT MBA and he's right...but you will have a GREAT two years!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhorr
i'm a UT MBA and he's right...but you will have a GREAT two years!
I never finished the app Atleast you get to go to some great football games
Old 04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Asking again, does anyone know of a replacement shop in the southern calif area. i don't need one now but in the future i might. help!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #259 351W
Not Ranked     

Chuck

I think this will end up being several places based on what you need done. Skip for example posted that he has a BMW shop that could prove to be interesting and they are in the Miramar. His post may have gotten clobbered back when there were server problems. There are also many shops in the Escondido area and as each of us check these out I think many of us in the San Diego area will post our findings.

John
Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, has anyone seen the new kit car mag, Calif Cobra has 4 full pages, that is advertising you cannot buy.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, talk about timing! I read the Kit Car Magazine article about California Cobra. Great unbuyable advertising, just unfortunately too late!

Just remember that Armond will be around in San Diego and will most likely take care of problems you may have. Or he will at least let you know someone who will help you. He has a lot of contacts!

I wish Armond well for the future. I consider him not only a great car supplier, but a friend. I hope this continues for many years.

Bye the way. I am the guilty party who sold Armond his Spray Booth. It is an AFC brand (Same as used by Boyd Coddington, Chip Foose/Overhaulin', Orange County Choppers, and many others) If you know anyone that wants a barely used spray booth in great condition, contact Armond or me. It will be worth their effort! He really needs to get rid of it! The price is right!

Skip B.
858-254-7171 or email me at jbrindl1@san.rr.com