Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question BDR vs Superperformance

Thanks for your imput.

Snakebite

Last edited by Snakebite4U; 03-22-2006 at 11:48 AM..
Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

snakebite,
Do a search this one has been done before.
David
Old 03-22-2006, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own one yet
Not Ranked     

To much to list. Tell us what you know, then we'll tell you what you don't know.

In short:
Superformance is more expensive, but more acurate. They've been around alot longer.

Backdraft uses BMW suspension and feels cheaper. Wheel base is 2" longer.

Both are made in South Africa.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#078,408 Dart Block, TKO 600,Indigo Blue, White Stripe
Send a message via Yahoo to JayBar
Not Ranked     

Mattr762
"Backdraft uses BMW suspension and feels cheaper"
Please explain this commet. Your Bio says you don't own a cobra yet. Have you bought one recnetly and have some expirence or is this your "opinion" from reading posts on this forum.
I have owned two Cobras and driven both on the track.
The Backdraft does not feel "cheap" what ever that means. No it doesn't have a sub woofer or neon light underneath. If that's what your are looking for in a car. Maybe it is cheap.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Some really good advice

The best advice anyone could ever give you would be... not to take anyone's advice... not yet anyway.

It sound's like you have narrowed it down, and I suggest to hop in a car, train, plane or bus and truck on down to each of the manufacturer's dealer location and look each of them over yourself. Closely. Then ride in one. Drive one, and then look under the skin at underneath and under the hood. Don't be afraid to grab and pull on parts and fixtures. Get the "feel" of the car. Touch everything you can. Run your fingers through the lines and enjoy yourself.

Then do your own comparison. Then weigh it against the price difference but be sure to see what is really included in the price and what the "extras" will cost you. Then come back here and go from there to see which brand has the happiest owners, and also invite the unhappy ones to tell you their woes too. Don't take anyone single persons word as the gospel, but weigh them all in together and there you will have your answer, I believe.

Most owners of their current brand who are the happiest, regardless of their final decision, did just this. Now, start planning your two trips.

/Randall
Old 03-22-2006, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

mattr7762
I belong to a cobra club in melbourne fla, and drove both and they are both fine cars. mine is a backdraft for 12,000.00 less and I will bet you the backdraft will have lower times on a roadcorse with the same driver. that what this cars were built for. "looks" backdraft wins.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1158, BDR #180
Not Ranked     

As you can see, everyone has their own opinions. I own one of each. They are both quality cars but drive and feel significantly different.

Randall's advice is worth its weight in gold. Drive one of each and pick the one that suites you best.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I stand by what I say. I've riden in both and the Superformance felt more solid to me. I'm NOT saying that Backdraft sucks, I'm just saying there is a reason that Backdraft if $10,000 less. It's kinda like comparing a Corvette to a Porsche. Both are great cars but there is an obvious difference between the two.

The Backdraft I rode in was new at the time and has many issues:
1. There was a gap at the bottom of the door when closed. I could actually see the road through there.
2. The cover on the dash board was peeling off. Remember it was new.
3. Headers are VERY tight in the engine bay and are NOT mandrel bent which equals cheaper.

4. Transmission tunnel is wider than most which forces the seats to angle outwards. (one of the main things I don't like about BDR)

5. Radiator pipe is not mandrel bent. A sign of saving money because its a cheaper process to manufacturer.

6. Sheet metal inside engine bay looks cheap.

Hopefully they addressed all these issues. If so, then it's a great choice.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

mattr762
do you own a cobra?
I love both models but I like the looks of the backdraft better
Old 03-23-2006, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I would say you dont have to own a car to know if you can see the road through a crack in the door seam.

I'm sure they are both as nice as what you put into it.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is alot more than 10K price difference. Superformance do not come with polished stainless steel sidepipes or even ceramic coated that is extra. I could go on but the difference in price is more on the 15k spread. What the deal with all the superformances door clasp being loose. The three I have looked at have been loose and everyone says "I need to tighten that", they each have their pluses and minues but you will not beat a BDR for the dollar plus 7.5K.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

Snakebite, It really comes down to value. What do you get for what you paid? They are both very fine replicas and they both have their own personalities. SPF has enjoyed a long reputation as pretty much being the standard as to which everything else is compared. BDR has not been around as long and is still fine-tuning some things and subsequently getting better at what they do. Which is the very reason they are now being compared to SPF. Understandably everyone feels passionate about their own choice. You will have to sift though all this info, do your own comparison and then make a choice. Between these two you cannot make a bad choice.

Here is my $.02 on value.....
It has been my experience that you do not need a top, tonneau, or probably even an oil cooler. I am one that agrees with having a limited slip diff. Most people don’t want an actual posi-trac because it is basically a straight-line diff targeted to drag racing. An open diff limits the torque to the non-spinning wheel based on the spinning wheel. A limited slip will do the same thing but there is a clutch and spring pack that tries to resist it and puts more torque to the non-spinning wheel. Reg offers the limited slip for somewhere around $500. I paid $400 for a heater for the passenger on those brisk mornings and evenings. I am also adding a thermostatically controlled oil cooler for a cost of $400. There is another difference, which are the pin drive wheels. For $1750 you can upgrade to 17" pin wheels and better tires than the SPF. (BDR 17" pin drives vs. the SPF 15" and Goodyear F1 GS-D3 vs. SPF Goodyear Eagle 1) Add these upgrades for $3050 and you have the SPF options less the covers. Base BDR $28,900 + $3050 = $31,950 If you must have the tops then you would be at $33,950. I think the latest price for SPF is $42,900 and I heard they are going up again. I think more due to the Shelby lawsuit than anything else. Plus BDR adds stainless to the engine compartment, the side pipes are stainless and the wheelbase is 2” longer. I have gotten lots of compliments on both and everybody loves the extra room. Everything considered SPF is not $9000 better than BDR if at all.

What’s more I like the BDR body shape better than any Cobra I have ever seen. If you look at this link to my gallery you will see an SPF on the left, a Lone Star in the middle and my BDR on the right. I am quite sure not everyone shares my view, but you can take a look for comparison.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=20014

Here’s the link that explains differentials.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm

Happy hunting!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

mattr762, There certainly is a reason why there is a $13,000 difference between the two and any fool would not think it was the quality you are eluding to.

I could show you several SPF with flaws such as doors that need adjusting or weather stripping that was missing. Whatever the case, you would be foolish to think that any car is perfect or an imperfection was the standard.

A dash cover peeling? QUOTE "The paint blisters did not show up for 6 years! I purchased the car last year and it had less than 1000 miles. It sat most of its life covered in the garage in Chicago. This past summer I drove the car a lot and apparently the summer sun (heating the paint) brought out the blisters! I hoped SPF would be surprised with the paint defect. They were not. The car is chronologically old, but like many SPFs was not outside and driven a lot. SPF did not volunteer to offer help. Just said the car's so old. The problem doesn’t often happen, but is not unique to the older cars (or so I'm told). Normally it occurs on darker painted cars. My comments are based on conversations with SPF dealers in Ohio, Virginia and Louisiana."
found at SPF for sale $30,000

Headers are now mandrel bent and flanged.

Tunnel is about the same as SPF and others. Obviously you are guessing because I have measured them when reviewing passenger compartment space. By the way, BDR had more space than anyone else.

I would agree that a mandrel bent radiator tube would certainly look nicer. I also think the BDR stainless expansion tanks look nicer and they certainly last longer than the SPF.

The stainless steel in the engine compartment looks cheap? I have shown my car many times and gotten countless compliments on the stainless in the engine compartment. You are the very first to say anything other than it looks great and shows off the engine. When I consider this statement along with your comment on the cheap suspension I start to realize that you really don't know what you are talking about and have no business commenting on any of this. I have never heard of anyone calling a BMW suspension cheap. In fact BDR has won several road racing events in which most all other replicas where represented with their cheap suspension.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffko
The stainless steel in the engine compartment looks cheap? I have shown my car many times and gotten countless compliments on the stainless in the engine compartment. You are the very first to say anything other than it looks great and shows off the engine.
Let me explain...
In my eyes the stainless steel panels are there for only 2 reasons:
1. Reduce heat (around the foot wells)
2. To add some bling bling (to give the illusion of an all aluminum engine bay)

I think it falls short on the bling factor, because only portions of the engine bay are covered. There are gaps that let you see the painted black fiberglass in between the panels. My view is if you're going to do something right don't half a$$ it. They should have had the entire engine bay covered, not just protions of it. On 3 BDR engine bays I've seen, they've got what looks like black tar (silicon) oozing out from behind the SS panels. Hopefully they have perfected that process.

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone calling a BMW suspension cheap. In fact BDR has won several road racing events in which most all other replicas where represented with their cheap suspension.
Sorry, I ran 2 thoughts together in one sentence. The "feels cheaper" refers to the car over all, not the suspension. I know the BMW suspension on a Cobra creates winning results.

Quote:
When I consider this statement along with your comment on the cheap suspension I start to realize that you really don't know what you are talking about and have no business commenting on any of this.
Sorry you feel this way. To you, it must feel like a personal attack because you own the same kind of car. From the research I've done over the past 4 years and countless Cobras I've seen the Superformance just "Feels" more solid to me. But on the same token I think the Premier Motorsports Cobra feels more solid than a Superformance. So, it's all relative. I am a designer by trade, so I notice the fine details more than most people.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr762
I am a designer by trade, so I notice the fine details more than most people.

Your just making more and more friends aren't you.

SPF comes standard with things that are options on the BDR. Add those things you want to the price of the BDR to get your true cost difference. Both of these guys have improved their products and standard offerings. It's best to check what's currently standard now. The pictures posted above are of an earlier production BDR. The paint issues mentioned above where of an early production SPF. Neither seem to apply to the question unless your picking up an early model used car. In that case you should be able to see exactly what your are getting.

BDR has standard stainless pipes.

SPF has a better overall fit and finish on the body.

If you get a BDR and your not very handy, I would suggest you purchase from a nearby dealer. I've messed with mine since the day I got it 1.5 years ago. Not that that's a bad thing. I love fiddling with cars. BDR and their dealers have always been very accommodating in taking care of issues. Not everything was associated with the car either, some things were due to the drive train that was not installed by BDR. I can't comment on the reliability of the SPF since I haven't owned one yet.

I have the 17" wheel package with Nitto drag radials on the back. I haven't missed the LSD. I only have 460 hp though.

Bottom line is the SPF costs more and the value of what you get for that extra cost can only be determined by the purchaser.

My suggestion is to first set your budget. Then consider your intended use for it. That will narrow down your choices.

Track whore = BDR
Show queen = SPF
Driver = ?? ?? $$$

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

I think gatorac sumed it up well. I too have a BDR and like most here on CC I tried to do my homework before I purchased. I also looked at SPF and while I think they are great cars I felt BDR was a better value for me. Are there differences, Yes, Do they each have there own share of problems ,Yes. It all comes down to what you want in a Cobra and what you want to spend and what "options" or standard features you will really use. Good luck with your search.

David
Old 03-23-2006, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

How to make friends and influence people

Track whore = BDR
Show queen = SPF

This is just like a political campaign! Why do you all have to sling mud? Why not expand on why you like the car you own. It would be easy for me to become upset at the “show queen” moniker and reciprocate with attacks on his choice. I will exercise restraint and only tell you why I bought my SPF.
Because it’s not BUTT-UGLY like the BDR.
Ok settle down now, I was just kidding.
I love my SPF because:
The shape is what "I think" a Cobra should look like (until I parked next to a Kirkham!!)
15” pin drive wheels
Big block
Wilwood brakes
Robust drive-train & with inexpensive replacement parts (Diff, axles, brake parts, etc)
Like the wise have already said, look and drive both and make your choice.

JASON
Old 03-23-2006, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default BDR vs Superformance

Guys, thanks for the lively debate, now I'm going to visit both dealers.
See them myself, hope I can spot the difference you have pointed out.

Thanks
Snakebite
Old 03-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Read: "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", LOL!!
Then decide
JB )
Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default You have seen the wisdom Snakebite

I see you have seen the wisdom in my original suggestion, Snake bite.

Good luck and let us know what YOU find out, unbiased and without prejudice. You will many times find those having the most to explain will also be the most vocal in rationalizing their choice.

I am confident when you see both cars side by side there will no longer be a question of choice, but how fast can you take ownership of it.

By the way, if you were wondering, I own two Cobras myself... both Superformance's.

/Randall