Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2006, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#369 392/TKO
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Happy with Backdraft?

I've narrowed down my search for my testosterone booster. Before I pull the trigger, I'm interested in feedback on BDR versus the others. Any thoughts? Would you buy another one?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

What do you plan to do with the car, track, street, both?

--Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#078,408 Dart Block, TKO 600,Indigo Blue, White Stripe
Send a message via Yahoo to JayBar
Not Ranked     

I would buy a Kirham with a 427 SO. However relaity is that a Backdraft is the biggest bang for the buck out there.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #202, Ford Racing 342 Stroker 400 HP
Send a message via Skype™ to letitbe
Not Ranked     

We love ours!!!!!
Backdraft #202
Old 04-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Without sounding like a broken record, there are a ton of posts in this forum that give customer perspectives on BDR ownership. All the good and bad is right here. I sell them so obviously my opinion is a bit jaded, however I have seen and worked on a number of the other big name replicas and we are convinced we are behind the right one at this point.

Anything beyond what is here I will be happy to answer anyway you prefer, email, phone, forum...

Best of luck in your search, finding this forum puts you well ahead of most.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the good insight. I plan on a cruiser only. I don't anticipate any track time but who knows. Based on what I've read BDR like all the others has plusses and minuses. I've spoken briefly with the folks in Florida and they all seem quite helpful and knowledgeable about the market and the competition. I think a new one makes sense for me although in Kansas City, I'm not sure that the warranty really means anything to me. I want a hands on before I go to Florida but I can't find one close to me. Does anyone know of one?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may be the closest BDR to me in Kansas City. Shoot me an email with your number if you don't mind a quick phone call.

Marc
Old 04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

Atoka, OK is 375 miles from KC, MO.

I'd be glad to have you as a house guest or put you up at the Best Western 100 yards from me.

Drive it, play with it, make me an offer.

PM me if you like.

UT

Last edited by uncltodd; 04-26-2006 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

There are several post with opinions on this very subject. I am very happy with mine.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

Yep, I would do it again. They are great people to do business with.

David
Old 05-04-2006, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR261/392Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Happy with Backdraft?

I took delivery of my BDR...#261 9/30/05.I have really enjoyed it so far.
I have had some minor issues like radiator leaking, rear end leaking, gas fill hose leaking, 3 brake lines leaking, clutch slave cylinder leaking.
I called Custom Cars about the clutch cylinder and they send me one in 2 days. Pretty quick fix (1hr.2Coronas no more leak). All others were simple fixes. I have driven @1500 miles and everything seems to be fine.
I really did alot of research, I wanted a "NEW CAR" that is why I went with BDR. It's got all of the Kits Beat and is the best deal out there! I would and probably will buy another BDR!!!

Stroked392
Old 05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 351W
Not Ranked     

Depends on what you're looking for. Not being critical of BDR, but if you're looking for a body accurately replicating the original, BDR's are not even close. It's about 10" wider than a original causing it to be out of proportion, but still looks good and should have more interior room. The BMW rear suspension is also "incorrect" as far as being like an original. If you really want one as close to an original as possible, look at a Kirkam, Shelby or Superformance. Unique and ERA's bodies are also dimentionally correct. Since you're not buying an original, maybe it doesn't matter. Again, it depends on what you're looking for.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Marc,
I have #278, on the road in late August, about 3000 mi under her belt. She's my 2nd Cobra replica, so far so good. Great car, good value for money, very good backing from the manufacturer= no complaints. Handling and performance is excellent. As a track car or street monster, you won't be disappointed.
Good luck with whatever you decide,
Cheers,
Richard Bailey
Old 05-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by w-lewis
It's about 10" wider than a original causing it to be out of proportion, but still looks good and should have more interior room.
You may need to recalibrate your tape measure
Old 05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

10" is certainly a typo or at best needs clarification. My Excalibur was 4" longer and 4" wider and it was quite obvious it was 'different' when parked next to a standard size replica. Otherwise, the average person at a car show could not tell the difference.

What is the actual wheel base and width of a BDR compared to an original?

w-lewis still makes a valid point for those seeking something closer to original specs, a worthy goal.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-04-2006 at 05:19 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

Turn on the battery switch. Ignition on on. Fuel pump on. Fans on. Prime the carb 3 times.

Dink with the throttle until she'll idle by herself, just a minute or three.

Train a 20-year-old blonde to drive it while you enjoy the ride.

I bought it to drive, not to polish.

I KNOW why I bought a BDR.

I'm not a Cobra purist, obviously.

When I light her off and blip the throttle, nobody reaches for a tape measure.

UT
Old 05-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well said UT!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #159, 418 +/- 500HP
Not Ranked     

I'm the proud owner of BDR #159. The car is a blast to drive and is of course very fast. 10" too wide??? That can't be close to being accurate. My car also leaked at the radiator and a small amount from the rear end.

Not totally pleased with the brakes and the car wallows a bit on the freeway at anything above 75mph or so. Also, looking forward to replacing the BF Goodrich radial T/A's the car came with at some point in the near future.

A good friend has a SPF and our cars look very close. The cockpits on both cars are an easy fit for both of us and were both over 6'1".
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 351W
Not Ranked     

Looks like I missed that one a bit. I just looked it up and the BDR body width is 67.5" vs 68" wide for original. The BDR's track is 65" vs 56" for the original. 9" is quite a difference. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, so I'm jaded too, since I sell SPF. BDR is a great car and a deal for the money, especially if you do not want the standard equipment that comes with our SPF car. Great guys to deal with also. For those who step up to our car, they are never disappointed, but it is a step up in many ways. The old "you can spend more, you just can't get more" does not apply to this comparison. It is nice to have owners within your neighborhood that you can interact with and dealers close at hand should there be a problem, but this all comes at a cost. Warranty? I really don't think you will find any real problems to deal with with BDR other than the minor leaks, etc. Resale? do your own research and see what you find. I believe You are spending $10K less for a BDR with $6000 less standard equipment.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions, and researching. Take time to decide just what you relly want and can afford. You can not go wrong with a BDR. or a SPF. There is a reason Toyota builds Lexus, and Nissan builds Infinity. Some customer want more and are willing to pay for the extras they get.

Keep in mind that even the guy with a rough lower-end Cobra is having plenty of fun, and enjoying his car. It's all relative.

You asked for feedback, I usually don't respond, as I am bias, but felt vindicated since Cashburn (dealer) responded earlier.

Doug Reed,

Last edited by Dream Master; 05-05-2006 at 09:26 AM..