Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #486 402r This is my 2nd backdraft.
Not Ranked     
Default Springs missing to hold manifold to pipes

I have no springs on 1 side to hold the manifold and pipe together. I have it wired for the moment. By the way it's a 351w in a backdraft #182. Where can I get replacements.
Paul
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have heard you can get them a dirt bike shops, or probably your local hardware store. Use a coat hanger to pull them on, or you will bank up your knuckles!!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing BDR144
Not Ranked     

Paul,

Yamaha part # 90507-20052 at your local motorcycle shop.

You will have to cut the first coil of the spring and bend up to form the new hook at the end. This should give you the right length and enough tension to hold. I made a tool to pull the springs in place by using a heavy wire coat hanger with a hook bent on one end and the other end inserted into a drilled 1/2" wooden dowel and wrapped around it to form the T-handle. Works great! No more banged knuckles.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This seems to be chronic BDR problem. I saw the same thing on one here in Hawaii, heard reports of others. Something the factory should address.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i beleive they have gone back to a flange connection, this will solve alot of issues.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Flange connections have no slip fit for expansion and contraction of the headers to pipes. Springs are the best solution, but ONLY if the tolerances between the header pipes and collectors are close enough to prevent exhaust gases from escaping. Badger
Old 10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

Badger, I gave up a year ago with the slip-fits on #139.

Swaging the header connections is a good workaround, I've heard, but I don't have access to that kind of machining skills here. A sharp L-curve, under internal pressure and a lot of heat, is gonna flex. I would rather it flex at the header/sidepipe joint than... somewhere expensive.

I even tried packing steel wool into the joint and using 2 big radiator clamps dogged down TIGHT to muffle the joint blow-by, it worked well for about 30 minutes, but flexing and vibration wiped my kludge out.

I just live with the noise from under the hood, I'm probably the only one that notices it in my little part of the woods.

UT
Old 10-15-2006, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

[IMG][/IMG]

Although this is not a BDR application it is an example of one particular way of using the springs and tabs for retaining some tension on the slip joints, there has to be some minor movement available or the pipes will fracture. They are made of stainless and were purchased at a KTM motorcycle shop. In use 3 years without any issues.

BTW: Safety wire pliers work very well for installing the springs, since you can lock the handles and keep tension on the spring when attempting to install it.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 10-15-2006 at 09:44 PM..
Old 10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

I went to the largest shop in the area that handled dirt bikes. There are several sizes available (in MM). Take a measurement of the distance between the loops and get a spring that is shorter. No cutting, no bending. They also have a tool for putting the springs on with. Just like the picture above. #128 is just 3 years old and no problems...except the leakage of course.

AL
Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

Paul,
I have some extra springs if you can't find any. I bought too many when I did my build. Yes I got mine at a motorcycle shop.

David