Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trueoo7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Switching turn signal lever to left side of wheel

Can someone explain what is involved in switching the turn signal lever over to the left side of the wheel? I've seen it done (on a Backdraft), and would like to do it when I replace my steering wheel this weekend. Any special tools/pullers or special precautions needed? I've had my steering wheel off (for cleaning), but that's about it.

... am tired of accidentally flipping on the wipers in my other cars.

an aside... I'm surprised so many people install the wood-rim Motolita steering wheel... I have it & do not like it at all... Yea, it gives the period-correct look, but it's WAY too skinny for my tastes- feel like I can't control the car properly. My nice, fat, leather-wrapped replacement should be here later this week, hopefully.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Slick61,

I was tempted to make this switch too. But, it sure comes close on the left side of the dashboard. I have seen some converted Backdrafts, and I think the guys who have done it said it was pretty easy with no special tools necessary. But, then again, I didn't do it. So, hopefully someone will reply. If anyone can get in touch with Hank in San Diego, I think his car had the turn signal switched.

As for the steering wheel. I got rid of my bright Orange "wood" wheel right after I got me car. It is on the wall in my garage. The only good place for it! I held up a Motolita style wheel, but with the high position of Backdrafts steering shaft, I thought it looked dumb. But, I understand there are smaller diameter ones that look better. I bought a black leather wheel and love. I hope you do too.

If you change your turn signal, let us all know how it goes.

SkipB
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Got "me" car! Crap, I sound like an old pirate. I meant to say "my" car.

SkipB
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

.....I think you meant to say "my carrrrrrrrrrrrrr" !!!

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

I did mine about 2 years ago and have not regretted it since. It always felt awkward especially while trying to shift and all. Also very hard for anyone else to drive it too.
From what I remember it was probably the simpliest thing I've done on the car. I don't believe I had to pull the hub off. Even if you do it was simple with a wheel puller. (Maybe Cashburn will jump in and verify this) Loosen up the set screw and make sure the wiring harness has enough free play in it, then spin it 180deg.. Also by doing this, it positioned the set screw in a more convienent spot for access. (body cowl was in the way in the other position) I had problems in the begining with the assembly loosening up and spinning. Put a small dimple in the tube with a drill for the set screw to seat in to and have not had a problem since.
Ozzie Goat likes this.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

check out the topic on BDBoys
http://www.backdraftboys.com/forum/t...p?TOPIC_ID=439
I am still converting mine over as I replace the wheel with a Momo Mod 78 suede wheel, for all of the reasons mensioned. aarrrrr!

Last edited by Rwillia4; 04-20-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

thanks for the info all... quick question... those of you who have done it- did you buy, borrow, or rent a hub puller?
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

No hub puller needed you have a 14" wheel to do all the pulling you need , actually once you pull the nut off the hub comes off pretty easy.

Last edited by Rwillia4; 04-20-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

To put the turn signals on the left, loosen the u-bolt under the dash that holds the steering column. This will allow you to spin the whole outer column including the turn singnal mechanism. Tighten the u-bolt back down. Easy.

I couldn't get any kind of puller on my steering wheel. Just pull on the wheel and have someone tap lightly on the shaft. Don't hit yourself in the forhead with the wheel.....

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Mine was on the left and I switched it to the right same procedure as Jim stated. Just make sure you don't wrap your wiring around the column,disconnect the wiring before you spin the column then reconnect it. My left knee kept hitting the lever!

Mark
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #520, 302 FORD racing Z50Z,t-56,391 posi
Not Ranked     

Good evening R.Smith,
in order to reverse the signal stalk,all you need to do is first loosen the 2,13 mm nuts on the u-bolt just behind the dash, that goes around the colunm,next,open the hood,about a foot down from the firewall,there is a thin bracket that the colunm goes thru,in that bracket are 2,3mm allen socket head bolts.Loosen all the fore metioned bolts and rotate the colunm clockwise to your desired postion,you can not turn just the switch because there is a tab welded on the colunm so the switch won't spin. Also will will have to turn the wheel hub 180 degrees so the signals will cancel.
To remove the hub you will need a 2 or 3 finger puller,HEAVILY TAPED AT THE WHEEL SIDE,put the puller on the lip of the wheel at the hub,and the puller bolt on the steering shaft and gently tighten the puller,the wheel and hub should loosen with a quick snap,be prepared to catch the wheel and hub.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Wayne hit the nail on the head. You need to loosen both the bolts that hold the U bolt over the column and the set screws in the engine compartment that hold the column against the driver's footbox. Turn it around and retighten everything.

The only problem with this is that the lever gets very close to the dash on the drivers side. It's almost cumbersome when trying to grab the steering wheel. I believe that is one of the main reasons why BDR continues to leave it on the right side.

Bests, James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Can't speak about the process for switching the column over to the left but can about the lever that has to be modified so it doesn't interfere with the dash. I picked up a Ford PU turn signal lever from the 60's/70's from a wrecking yard that didn't have any rust (just unscrew it). I measured to make sure it was short enough to clear my dash overhang, cut it off, and filed a flat for the knob set screw. Got the knob with the car so don't know where it came from. Do a Google search or try the ones at www.Lokar.com

I bent is slightly to clear the dash overhang and it works fine.

Paul