Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     
Default Flushing out a BDR clutch system

Looking for any suggestions on how to bleed/flush these systems (by yourself). Being that the master is so far stuck under the cowl, would like to find a device that will hook up to or attach so I can flush the system with ease. Can't seem to find anything that will fit.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Explain your system?

True007 Explain your system. Does it have 0, 1, or 2 bleeders on it. If it's a self bleeder setup the only thing you can do is vacuum down the whole system and install new fluid. There is no real way to get all the fluid out of the system, fill with new fluid and have a good pedal. Most in clutch systems come as a 1 piece for master and HTB. Have fluid full. Just install. On some hydro throw out bearing setup you can get into the bell housing and retrack the HTB. This will get out about 80% of the fluid. Install new fluid and pump the pedal. I have found that by using a vacuum pump and installing new fluid this works the best for removing any air in the system. If your system has a slave and master cylinder, you can just pressure bleed the system until new fluid comes out the bottom. Why do you want to bleed the system? Are you having a problem? If the clutch is working OK and the pedal feels solid, leave it alone. Sometimes adding new fluid causes the system to leak internaly. The seals get used to that fluid and when new fresh is installed it kills the seals. It's the same with doing a trans service in your car. Every 30K miles we find no problems, but do one at 100K with the orginial fluid in the trans and about 20% return within a couple of months with a problem and the new fluid is cooked. Sometimes it's the changing of a factory fluid to an partial Sythestic fluid. Any way hope this helps, Rick L
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR - 351 / 385 hp
Not Ranked     
Default Not a Problem

You can fill the clutch master cylinder from a small bottle of fluid. Put the bottle next to the cyl. before taking the cap off, then pour into the cyl. I replaced and bled my slave cyl. by myself by alternately pumping the pedal and filling the master. After cracking the bleeder open to let the air out a few times, I was able to get all the air out of the system. I see by the build # that your BDR is one of the earlier models, have rerouted the hyd. line and installed a heat shield? Search earlier threads for details.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

Well, I'm guessing you have the BDR clutch system since you posted this in the BDR section and your profile says you have BDR #038. You must bleed out the clutch system often on a BDR or the components WILL fail. Not maybe, they WILL fail.

I bleed it out every 6-9 months. I've had the car for over 4 years. The first master and slave went out before I had the car for a full year. Since sticking to this maintenance plan, I have not had anymore issues with the clutch system.

Buy yourself in inexpensive brake bleed/vacuum tool similar to this. You can find them cheaper probably from your local auto parts store.

1. Use this tool to suck the old fluid out of the master.
2. Poor clean fluid back into the master. You poor right out of a 12oz bottle into the master under the fender. Go in from the hood and position the bottle to the front of the master. Tip and poor.
3. Pump the clutch several times.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 three times.
5. Fill the master up with clean fluid.
6. Get yourself a voice activated clutch pedal depressor. Mine also cooks and cleans.
7. Have the VACPD push the depress and hold the clutch pedal.
8. Open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder until it goes all the way down and then close the valve.
9. Have the VACPD release the clutch pedal.
10. Repeat steps 7-9. ***This is important**** only do this three times before refilling the master cylinder. The master only holds enough fluid for about 3.6 pumps. The 4th pump will suck the master dry. Don't do that.
11. Refill master.
12. Repeat steps 7-11 until fluid that comes out of the slave is clear. I find that one 12 oz bottle will generally do the trick.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42

Last edited by Gatorac; 01-13-2009 at 09:51 AM..