Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     
Default Options...

I know, two new posts, I'm trying not to overwhelm you old farts with all these Q's, but cant help it...

Options! What are some of the more important options you'd have installed from the factory/ dealer?

I'd like to get the Roush 402 or 427R w/ 600TKO. I'm thinking 17" wheels, LSD rear & dual roll bars. Electronic gages?

I plan to track the car & will drive it hard.

Thought? (I'd ask for thoughts, but I know who I'm dealing with here).

Thanks
-Mark
Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.vintage-motorsports.com/configure/
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Do you want help or to insult us???

LudicrousSpeed There are a couple of things that come to mind. First your street suspension setup is nothing like what your track setup will be. Power assist rack for the car if you are going to race. 3 quart accusump to help save the motor on high "G" turns and keep the oil pressure up. GO TO DRIVING SCHOOL!!!!! The last thing and most important is respect for your car. A cobra is like nothing you have driven before. They are fast, quick, nasty and very unforgiven if you don't give it 100% of your time when driving. This will get you started. Rick L.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,
That brings up a good point. I was out racing the little electric carts the other day & the thought occured to me, Power Steering or No? As I've never driven a Cobra with or without, much less raced one, I thought it was an obvious 'Yes'. But the feedback I was getting from the non-assisted steering on that cart was GREAT!
I know, two completely different animals, but still...

Thought?

P.s. Yes, driving school is a must. I did get some REALLY good training in the academy on the high-speed course & the skid pan- it really wet my appetite!

Last edited by LudicrousSpeed; 02-03-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

I've run Backdrafts on the track with and without. I think the optimum is power steering with a Heidtz valve, which can adjust how much assist is in the steering.
The PS is nice though, and I know Backdraft is working on an electric power steering pump, thus no extra pulley and belt spinning around at 6000rpm. Also if you have the electric PS, you have PS with the key on, the engine does not have to be running.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Power steering / dash layouts, Hmmmm...

I'm up for opinions on the power steering. Jay & Bill, got any info on the electrical pump Bailey mentioned?

Nuther question: Dash Layouts- I could care less about authenticity. Whats some good stuff to have on the dash, especially when tracking the car? I've seen some cool stuff on BDR racers and other cars. Ideas that dont cost Arm&Leg?

Thanks guys!

P.s. Rick, I assume I can add the Accusump later as the budget allows? Planning on a Roush 402R or 427R.

Last edited by LudicrousSpeed; 02-03-2009 at 07:20 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

If you want to go racing then you could always order up a car that blends features of the TD (Track Day) car with the street car. Or you can be like Bailey and put the TD car on the street. TD Dash:

On the power steering I like the regular pumps with the valve that Bailey mentions. The electronic is nice but I have not heard a definitive call on it and have not played with it yet here. We have done 4 ps cars to date.

With Canton Racing 2 towns over we could easily do a nice Accusump for you and I've got a credit to burn over there
Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How much is the motor worth?

LudicrousSpeed Mark this is one of the first things I added to the car. It serves to purposes. First It's a preoiler for starting the car. I get 30 psi of pressure before firing it up. 2nd it has save my shelby motor twice when racing, I have broken 2 shafts for the rocker arms. I run 8 1/2 quarts of oil in the pan, 1 quart of oil in the cooler and lines, 3 quarts of oil with the accusump. I have not installed a warning light on the dash for low oil pressure, which everybody should. This would save some motors from major damage. I have had good weekends at the track and bad ones with problems. The idea I have is to bring everything but a motor. I can fix anything else there. The best bunch of extra parts would be a spare MSD whole distributor and MSD box. Basic tools to replace it of parts of it like cap or rotor. MSD seams to be having alot of problems with the carbon pile in the cap burning out or coming apart with the HVC coils. Tony Martin is a great driver to listen to for info. Let backdraft setup the car with the corner wieght and wheel alignment. I great tire temp reader is the next special tool you will need besides a crew person to take readings on the tires after a section. The cross heat ranges will tell you everything your car wants and needs. Keep charts. The more info the faster the car will become on the track. Rick L. Ps you have not had the whole fun thing until you are spinning on the track, looking for the walls, and talking to Jesus, Budda, God, and the trees about not hitting anything and doing major damage to the car. Back in the pits have a spare set of underwear and a cold one to relax.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Ludicrous,

Your car is for sale on Cobra Country.

- Black/Titanium
- Roush 402IR eight-stack fuel injected
- 17" Wheels
- Dual Roll Bars
- $54,900

Pull the trigger...you know you want to.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Ugh, I think thats the same car I'm watching on Ebay. At least I know what their reserve is set at.

Absolutely Beautiful. A little more than the boss will let me spend tho. Maybe if I begged...
Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Hows about the Clamps!

All this talk of go-fast stuff & I'm forgetting the binders.
Are the BDR brake setups up to the task? Is there a power brake option? Upgrades? Did i see some picks of some special air ducting for the front brakes?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudicrousSpeed View Post

Ugh, I think thats the same car I'm watching on Ebay. At least I know what their reserve is set at.

Absolutely Beautiful. A little more than the boss will let me spend tho. Maybe if I begged...
Beg, borrow, or steal man! The starting bid is $30K, so I doubt that the reserve is that low.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-05-2009, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudicrousSpeed View Post

Uhmmm...if you can't spend that you wont be getting a new one with LSd and a Roush motor. The drive train allone is 20k then the roller is 32k so you are up to 52k before it is on the road.

Good luck with your quest I am sure there are some good used deals to be had out there.
The trick is to find one.
Marc
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

The standard brake on the BDR will be up to the task if you do a couple of things first change to Performance Friction Full races pads you can get them from Bimmer World applications is for non-M E36. Second change the fluid to Castrol SRF or ATE Super Blue brake fluid. As for options Rick Lake is absolutely correct about the ACCUSUMP with my old motor before I installed an Accusump I could watch my oil pressure drop to 1/2 B.A.R in high G turns....As for the electric PS pump Reg has a few cars that have it on the street but haven't yet done one for the track... This is my next up grade....Mike
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

I've got a Ford Racing 392W carb'ed for $40K that you could do a lot of fiddling with and it already has an SB100. Only 7K miles. E-mail me at als.asp@gmail.com with your e-mail and I'll send you pictures and info.
Al
Sacramento area
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't forget the new carbon dashes that are now an option for the car.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 187 Prism Red w/Silver stripes; 427 stroker by Smeding Performance, Tremec TKO600 gearbox
Not Ranked     

If you plan to track the car, I think the most important thing you can do is put a roll cage on it. I had a major suspension failure on mine, which I will try to detail in another thread later. Fortunately, I was at an autocross going around 50 mph when it happened, and there was no real problem. Had I been on a track at high speed, it would have been VERY serious, as I do not have a cage. I seriously doubt that I will ever track the car again unless I put a cage in.

That being said, I'll describe the things I've done to make my car more track-worthy. First, the drivetrain. I have a sb 427 stroker going through a TKO600 and a 3.91 lsd. It puts 402 hp to the rear wheels. The 3.91 is probably a little short--a 3.73 would probably be better. However, with the 3.91 I can accelerate at around .6g in the 50-100 mph range. I have the .63 overdrive in the TKO, and I would recommend the .82 instead. the revs drop too much at the 4-5 shift and the engine bogs down. It's a great combination for the street, though. I need a diff cooler of some sort, though, as the diff pumps oil out the vent hole during a hard track session.

When I bought my BDR, there was no such thing as a trackday option, so I had to modify the suspension myself. I put much larger sway bars on and replaced ALL the suspension bushings with solid monoball style. I also replaced the rear subframe bushings and differential bushings with solid ones. I installed adjustable lower control arms in the rear and set the camber to around -2 deg. I put fixed camber shims in the front to get around -2 deg. of camber there also. I am still on stock springs, but the race springs from BDR would be a good idea, too. I replaced the rear shocks with the Bilsteins that are listed in another thread. I run Hoosier R6s on 17" wheels: 245/45 in front and 315/35 in back. With this setup, the car corners nearly as well as my BMW M3 in track configuration. I got most of the suspension parts from Turner Motorsports.

I agree with what others have said about brakes. The stock brakes are very good if you replace the pads and fluid. I use Porterfield R4S pads and Motul RBF600 fluid. Be sure to flush the brake lines with large amounts of DOT3 fluid first to get rid of the DOT5.

Two other major things are on my wish list (besides a cage) if I am going to continue to track the car. The first is power steering. It is definitely needed. This car is a lot of work to drive without it. I get really tired during a 25 min. track session. The power steering has a faster ratio, too. The other thing I am contemplating is a front air dam/splitter (and maybe some kind of wing, too). The aerodynamics of these cars is really terrible, and I think some add-on pieces would really help at high speeds.

Hope this helps...

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation!

-Pete Townshend, Tommy
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

Needs
Upgrade the radiator and Fan, LSD, Race Springs, 17inch wheels,
Wants
V Ramp Diff. Dual Roll Bars, Upgrade brake pads, Mid shift kit, Steel braided
brake lines, Shift Light
Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks guys for all the good info, it is being filed in the brain under 'Good Stuff'.

Hey RM, I see you're in the general vicinity of Encinitas. I'm from Vista, born & raised & go back frequently. Any chance I could check out your operation when you got the time?

Jay, more PM's inbound. Its your fault for giving me all those good answers.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 187 Prism Red w/Silver stripes; 427 stroker by Smeding Performance, Tremec TKO600 gearbox
Not Ranked     

LS, I'd be happy to show you my car, although it's busted right now, and not driveable. Pm me or e-mail me at round_midnight (at) adelphia (dot) net.

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation!

-Pete Townshend, Tommy