LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     
Default SB100 Conference at the MUSTANG RANCH

Greetings,

it seems there is need and want - to have a SB100 discussion/ tutorial /veterans review.

I would be happy to host and co-present a power-point on the topic at our shop.

http://www.newmustangranch.com

I am seeing if I can get someone from DMV to speak to us.(crossed fingers)

Please respond with your interest in time, date, data and commentary .

Right now the best time I can think of is Saturday AM ( new years day )

I will modify this post with updates as conditions / items permit.

Thank you All --

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Steve,
That would be a great idea. I'll show up if you do it.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Steve, great idea and I appreciate you making your shop and knowledge available on such short notice. Unfortunately, I have family obligations on Jan 1, so I cannot attend. I'll be around on the 31st until 3PM or so, if you want to review/comment on a presentation...

Regards,
Randy...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Greetings,

it seems there is need and want - to have a SB100 discussion/ tutorial /veterans review.

I would be happy to host and co-present a power-point on the topic at our shop.

http://www.newmustangranch.com

I am seeing if I can get someone from DMV to speak to us.(crossed fingers)

Please respond with your interest in time, date, data and commentary .

Right now the best time I can think of is Saturday AM ( new years day )

I will modify this post with updates as conditions / items permit.

Thank you All --

Steve
Steve,

Just an FYI that this Friday is New Year's Day (Saturday is January 2).

Since time is tight, we could explore the idea of a conference call where people could call in with questions/concerns that are specific to their situation.

Then, maybe in early Q4 of next year we could plan a SB100 seminar.

Just a thought.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Steve...good on ya.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UPDATE : I just spent about 2 hours at the DMV with one of the managers tonight.

GOOD NEWS. ---

I have some notes and will be generating documents tonight and will post them on this thread.

PS: I now have my PANAVIA plates (picked-em up ! )

More news in a few .

UPDATE 1:59AM --

working on this all night. --

TEXT BELOW -- PDF here.

http://www.newmustangranch.com/SPCNS.pdf

CA SB100 SPCNS Requirements Worksheet
By: PANVIA

Steve- - steve*at*newmustangranch.com

This Document for use of Clubcobra.com users
and friends of the Mustang Ranch Santa Clara CA.
--all other uses prohibited

Rev 1G; December 29th 2009.
Background:

This document gives a description of how to navigate the California SB100 Registration process, as I personally understand it in December 2009.
This information is provided freely without warranty expressed or implied, and is my best recollection and grasp of this process currently.

I have synthesized and distilled the steps below to be as clear as possible, it will be under constant revision.

Time is short and there is too much to say, so here are the basics.

A. YOU ARE BUILDING OR BOUGHT A COBRA REPLICA ! :

Edit 01-15-2009; Note: I originally wrote this article in Dec 2009 , with the idea that many people would be building Cobras and Obtaining a SB100 for the first time. Since December 2009, I have been contacted by many folks who are being instructed to use SB100 to "re-certify" and out of state bird. -- I dont have a grasp on this yet, as soon as I do - i will edit this post. --Steve

1. “Cobra” Frame/Body:

When you Purchased your Frame/Body or Rolling Chassis you should get a MSO (manufacturers statement of origin).

Alternately a *bill of sale* if you bought the Frame/Body from a private party or craftsman.

--On this document, it should reflect some sort of description, and a chassis Serial Number of the chassis like a CSX6000 number or a SPO0000, or a ,KMP000 or a FF00000 number. This number should be readily visible on a core frame portion of the car and --by the way – it should match the MSO document.

CHP may elect to use this frame number as your VIN.

--- Alternately they may issue one of their choosing. (depends on who is working that day, be nice.)

Documents needed from the supplier of your chassis:

a) A PAID INVOICE / Bill Of Sale

You bought the chassis / body / frame and paid them “x” dollars. (if it was from a CA dealer and he collected CA state sales tax make sure this is notated as you will need this for the “DMV USE-SALES-TAX-MATH” section )

b) MSO Certificate :

This can be called a “Certificate of Origin” or called other things, think of it as obtaining a “Birth Certificate” for your chassis. (DMV likes to know who mommy and daddy are)

2. Engine /Transmission :

When you purchase your engine from your motor vendor, they should provide a copy of a work order, or a certificate / build sheet stating the configuration of the engine.

On this sheet, they should provide some sort of ID# or serialization for the motor.

If you obtain your transmission from the same vendor/ shop as your engine, - this should be a piece of cake, if you obtained your transmission from an alternate vendor (Summit Racing, etc) they should give you a paid receipt , hopefully with a serial number. If your trans or engine does not come with the serial number, it is not the end of the world, but it can make things easier.

Note: encourage your vendors to engage in a serialization efforts, it can provide useful information in the event of the unthinkable.

Documentation needed from the supplier of your Engine / Transmission:

a) PAID INVOICE / WORK ORDER (s):
You bought the engine and the Transmission and paid them “x” dollars. Configuration / Build Sheet with Serial numbers if possible, again think of it as “Birth Certificate” for your engine / transmission. (if it was a CA dealer and he collected CA state sales tax make note of this, you will need this for “sales-tax-math” later)

b) JUNK YARD:
If you bought the Engine and Transmission from a recycler, you must have a “junk receipt” outlining what you bought, and they must keep records on where they got it from. (if it was a CA junk dealer and he collected CA state sales tax --make note of this, you will need this for “DMV USE-SALES-TAX-MATH” later)

c) PRIVATE PARTY SALE / PARTS: If you bought the Engine and transmission from a private party, you must have a “Bill-of-Sale” outlining what you bought, who from and where they got it. (if it was a CA resident you will need this amount as you will pay sales tax on it. Save the figures for the “DMV USE-SALES-TAX-MATH” section)

Words of Caution: Be 110% honest on all of this, don’t try to pull the wool over DMV eyes with a $250 All Aluminum 427 FE. – you *will* get nailed.
--and someone will buy your “$250 motor” at a police auction and you will be trying to figure out how to defend yourself on a felony if the amount is over $1K.

3. Assembly / Put it together / Other Receipts. :

When you assemble your car, keep track of your time, and the shops time. (this should be marked on invoices)

This labor (in Dollars) will be referenced in the “Statement of Construction” form ( REG 5036, sect. 5. “Installation”)

Note: To properly complete assembly of a Cobra from rolling chassis to *car*, it takes anywhere from 40 to 120 hours of professional mechanical time. (DMV knows this) Yes you could do it in *less* time, and I am sure your brother-in-law’s cousin Jake could do it in a long weekend. What maters here is the dollar number. DMV is looking for here is $4-10K.

== *IF* you put it together yourself , that is fine, but keep track of your time and figure out what you “paid” yourself. I put mine together on my own with some minor help and yes-- I paid registration taxes on my own personal labor.

---Don’t be fishy in this area, you will be on the wrong side of a DMV audit and possibly lose your car over a $500 difference in tax.

Note: Don’t bring up “Labor-is-not-taxable” you will lose.

Documents Needed : Installation / Labor of your Engine / Transmission;

a) PAID INVOICE / WORK ORDER (s) : Labor of installation and miscellaneous parts can be integrated or listed on the work orders. You will be asked for a list of parts monies spent and it is remarked on the “Statement of Construction” form ( REG 5036, section 5. “Value of parts” )

b) PARTS If you bought any ancillary parts, keep cash register receipts / invoices; yes it is now time to pay CA sales tax on your summit racing purchases.

B. FIRST VISIT TO DMV / START SPCNS - SB100 PROCESS ( DMV Preamble: BE COOL, TAKE NOTES)

1. PAPER/MONEY : Take your stack of paper to DMV ( along with your checkbook)
2. OBTAIN A TIN: The Objective for your fist visit to obtain a “TIN” prior to your SB100 sequence number, obtain a reg form 124, and be keyed into the DMV system.
3. PERMIT: When you get your TIN, also ask if you can get a “Temporary Operating Permit. (so you can visit Brake and Light, BAR, and CHP)

I have found that if you are polite and ask intelligent questions (instead of throwing a hissy or being a jackass) If you think something is wrong, ask *POLITE* questions.

KEY:
Allow them to come to the proper solution with you, co-authored, - versus confronting them.

Once you have a government worker riled up they can put you through hell. You *will* have to churn some paperwork to get this done, so be prepared.

4. SPCNS General Requirements :

Remember : The FIRST VISIT should be basically you filling out a couple of forms and showing them your math so they can collect the “DMV USE AND SALES TAX / Fees-Due” .

• The Objective as stated above is to get a TIN (DMV temporary identification number for your transaction) so go in *NOW* (12-30, 12-31) – prior to Jan 4th 2010.

• LINE: Then you will then come back and be in line (Jan-4-2010 at say 4 AM ) they may pre-open at 7:30 to pre-feed this madness ) to get you setup for your SB100 sequence number.

NOTE: From DMV; it is super easy (and quick) to link a TIN with your SB100 sequence number.
AKA: ON Game day (01-04-2010) If you try to obtain a TIN on the same morning as your SB100 sequence number, you are ripe for possibly *not* getting your SB100 sequence number.

So go down to DMV TODAY and do the following;

Fill Out form REG 343 (read below) together with your invoices receipts, notes from mother, and certificate / statement of origin. (again read below)

Explain that you want to “register a specially constructed vehicle”.=== , If they respond “We do that in January” say ;

“ I understand that the SB100 sequence numbers are issued in January,-- I just wanted to get in the system, pay my fees due and get a TIN record started” ( that should clear the pathway.)

Note: not all of these forms / events are below required on your first visit to DMV.

You will visit *at least* 3 times during this process. – and make at least 3 other trips elsewhere. (CHP, BAR, B&L)

5. OUTLINE: DMV SPCNS Specific Forms and Processes;

a) REG 343 Application for Title or Registration / Reg 343 can be obtained online at

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

b) CHP Verification Form

• PHYSICAL FORM: “Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number / Plate” ; AKA Reg 124”
• Reg 124 is a multi-part pre-printed form in a 8”x5” form factor, it is obtained from DMV in person on the same day you obtain your TIN.
• CHP Verification can be completed at any authorized CHP station, in San Jose that is the CHP on Junction Avenue (408-467-5400)
• Call your CHP for an appointment, tell them you need to be “put in the book to see Rosconi”—the Rosconi reference only works at the SJ office.
• List of offices: http://www.chp.ca.gov/depts_divs_offs/offices.html

c) REG 5036 AKA : Statement of Construction

• Reg 5036 can be obtained online at ;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5036.pdf

d) Proof of ownership papers

• Manufacturer certificate of origin for body and frame MSO (design varies by vendor)
• Receipts (ALL)
• Invoices (ALL)
• Bills of sale (as appropriate for misc components) NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more (avoid the hassle)

e) DMV USE-SALES-TAX-MATH. – how to calculate your DMV fees.

• DMV is interested in calculating the total cost of your vehicle and assessing sales taxes and registration fees based on that information as they have been directed to -by law.

• VALUE: Add up all your receipts, labor and invoices then take that total dollar number and enter it into the following site ;

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorW...VehicleForm.do

• I used the following values; new , 2009, gas, 12-22-2009, $65K , 95117 ( use your figures ) I figured the SPF guys come out cheaper and the Shelby/Kirkham guys are above that so is seemed a reasonable demo.

SAMPLE OUTPUT : CA Vehicle Registration Fee (AKA DMV USE-SALES-TAX-MATH ) Calculator
Transaction Date: December 29, 2009
Type of Calculation: New California Vehicle Purchase
Type of Vehicle: Automobile
Model Year: 2009
Motive Power: Gas
Purchase Date: December 22, 2009
Purchase Price: $65,000.00
County: Santa Clara
Zip Code: 95117
Current Registration: $31.00
Current California Highway Patrol: $22.00
Current Vehicle License Fee: $749.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: $1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee: $1.00
Current Smog High Polluter Repair Fee: $6.00
Original Smog Abatement: $6.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Smog Fee: $8.00
Current Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: $1.00
Current Abandoned Vehicle Fee: $1.00
Current Air Quality Management District: $6.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: $3.00
Use/Sales Tax: $6,013.00
Reflectorized License Plate Fee: $1.00
Total Registration Fees: $836.00
Total Use/Sales Tax: $6,013.00
Grand Total Registration Fees: $6,849.00

Note the line USE AND SALES TAXES

NOTE: SALES TAX CALCULATION:

If you have *not* paid CA sales tax on *any* of your parts purchases, IE: : Chassis , Engine , Body , transmission , parts you bought from Summit, Nevada , your cousin in Oregon. – then the FULL “DMV USE-SALES-TAX-MATH “amount is due.

The important part of this is *IF* you have *paid* any sales taxes on ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS, PARTS IN CALIFORNIA TO CALIFORNIA SUPPLIERS – that sales tax you already paid is TO BE DEDUCTED from the above (DMV USE-SALES-TAX-MATH ) number, as unlike our friends in the UK, in CA you cannot by law collect -TAX on a ...TAX.

Example : you bought a $7500 engine from a CA vendor and he collected $690 sales tax , that $ 690 sales tax is deducted from the $6013 number above reducing your Use/Sales tax to $5323 –get it >?

If your DMV clerk fights you on this, remind them that they are trying to charge SALES TAX on SALES TAX, that should clear it up – if not -- please ask for a supervisor (remember == gently) .

f) SAFETY AND SMOG

• Official “Brake and Light” Certificate.
• Your “Brake and Light” this can be obtained once you have a temporary operating permit AKA after your first visit, you have submitted your application and obtained a Temp ID “REMEMBER THE TIN” ), and they have given you a Temporary 90-120 Day operating permit (accept nothing less than 90 days, tell them it will take weeks to get appts at CHP and BAR, which it will)
• *IF* an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) (online at : http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf ) from a CA repair shop (must be registered with BAR) attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order.
• In the Santa Clara area, I recommend “Eserini's Automotive Service” --They charge an appropriate fee ($160-or so) and hand you a slip (official slip) that you take to DMV on one of your many trips.

Eserini's Automotive Service
508 Robert Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone: (408) 748-1551

To Pass B&L, - Lights need to be DOT registered or you need to have a Certification from your chassis vendor that the lights used have DOT numbers “On-File” with US DOT.

Case in point; the Superformance “Tail Lights” do not have DOT marks, as they are on file with DOT. Let them know you are asking to be tested as a 1965 motor vehicle , this will dispense with the needs for “Side Marker Lights” and “Reverse Lights”, which were required in 1968 and 1966 respectively.

Note: if your vehicle is made of donor car parts, IE: corvette, mustang , etc. – be prepared with the factory braking information for thickness of rotors etc.

g) BAR SMOG visit (AKA: An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station)

• Make and appointment BAR Referee Station, 1-800-622-7733 -- in northern California this is Evergreen College San Jose.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...e_Centers.html

• You will need to have your SB100 sequence number (1of the 500) to book an appointment with the referee, they WILL NOT BOOK IT WITHOUT ONE.

• They will collect a Examination Fee from you (yup- Bring your checkbook)

• They will review your car with you, let them know that the engine is from “design year” 1965 (whatever your year.) as they will go look it up and notate what is supposed to be there PCV,TCP etc. ( I personally recommend use of 1965 ford 7L. for a 427

• It may be helpful –to use the Ford Galaxie as a reference car.

• Once they sniff you, they will print and affix a BAR sticker to your firewall.

Note: If you ask (REMEMBER BE NICE) they will let you guide in its placement, but “they” themselves must apply.

h) DMV Worker Notes

(show this portion to your friendly DMV clerk )

What to key in for SPCNS:

Make: SPCNS
Year: 0000
RDF for: 9 : CHP verification / F : Brake and Light Inspection, / 0 : Smog Check.

This will help them avoid pitfalls. –

I will Keep updating the PDF. We can make this a sticky I hope under a FAQ.

--Steve

Last edited by PANAVIA; 01-17-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Steve,

First off ... congratulations on getting your plates, they will make a great addition to your SPF

Second ... the SB100 conference sounds like a excellent idea ... any of the times mentioned above are good for me, thanks!

- Tim
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Steve, sorry, but I'll still be out of town.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Conference Update :

The MUSTANG RANCH WILL BE OPEN

12-30-2009 8AM to 5:30PM
12-31-2009 8AM to 3:30PM
1-1-2010 Closed (Friday)
1-2-2010 OPEN 10AM to 3PM

NOTE: Santa Clara DMV OPEN TILL 5PM on 12-31.

I will be at the Ranch SATURDAY 1-2-2009 from 10AM to 3PM

( We will be serving coffee and doughnuts on Saturday and answering questions on SB100 )

If you need help or guidance , PM me and we can meet ASAP *before Saturday* and get you into DMV for the 2010 SB100s.

You can also come down to our shop and and see the NEW Superformance MKIII SC we are assembling with Dynamic (Dennis Peck) in Redwood City. Its configuration will be a nice 428CJ , TKO 500, and a 4bbl carb with electronic ignition.

---The idea is an affordable "ready to eat" SPF.

It is a Blue with White Stripes side pipe car. (SC Style)

photos to come.

Last edited by PANAVIA; 12-30-2009 at 04:43 AM..
Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

And hopefully to make this process a little easier, when you show up at the DMV prior to January 4th, show up either before they open in the morning or about 30 minutes BEFORE they close. Once in, they WILL process you. Even if they have to stay late to do it. And they really hustle at the end of the day to get everyone the he-- out of there.

I had to make 5 trips to DMV to complete the process and learned to show up just before closing to get out the fastest.

Note-Does not apply to January 4th. On that day, you want to be there before they open. Doesn't matter if you are there overnight or get there just before they open. They will group all of you together and make a single call to Sacramento to get all of you your numbers.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excellent work documenting the SB100 process Steve!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

That is quite a checklist! I'll see you on Saturday. Thanks!

- Tim
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

When we get through this next round of SB100 applications, someone please remind me to move this to the registration area...Steve's good work and everyones' thoughts/experiences need to be saved for future reference.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo -- just let me know how to edit a sticky and I will keep the PDF up there as well.

I have good feedback from doug (GotTheBug) on the year sold stuff that I need to add in.

BTW: is there a way to lift the 18000 character limit on a post >?

Steve

Last edited by PANAVIA; 12-30-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Great idea, Steve. While I already have my SB-100, this will give me an excuse to check out the "new" Mustang Ranch, providing dry weather, of course. Cold=No Problemo. Wet=Not So Good. Wimpy Rich
Old 12-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Steve...I won't do anything for awhile, and making it a sticky shouldn't keep you from modifying it. I'll be around.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo - no prob. -- will keep editing.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just giving this a bump for Steve, back up to the top for those that are interested ... see you tomorrow!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Steve, thanks for hosting a tour, as well as the donuts and coffee!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ditto what Randy said! Always fun to see the different projects that The Ranch is working on.