Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bay-area-cobra-club/)
-   -   Hot side pipes...do I need a warning sign? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bay-area-cobra-club/130137-hot-side-pipes-do-i-need-warning-sign.html)

mptech 08-11-2014 06:26 PM

I have ceramic coated side-pipes, they WILL burn you, ask my dad!
They do cool off pretty quick, but not fast enough to avoid a burn.

I also added a set of sidepipe heat shields over the winter, they help, but can't eliminate burns.

baysic 08-11-2014 08:52 PM

Sucks it was a little girl....but if it was a grown man what would your reaction be about it?.... i bet next time she notices the side pipes and remembers that they get hot...

Got the Bug 08-11-2014 08:57 PM

My car had been parked for more than 10 minutes when this happened. I've had the car for 7 years, and I'm the only one that has ever gotten burned so far. No passenger has ever gotten burned in my car, becuase I tell them to stay put until I come over to the passenger door to help them out. Doubt I'll be wrapping my car in caution tape, since the odds of a bystander getting burned are pretty low.

The good news is that everybody in the world isn't sue crazy. I was out on the beach on Memorial Day with my dog and someone elses German Shepherd mix clamped on to my arm. I got a nasty gash that required 4 stiches. The people paid for my urgent care bill. No lawsuit. Accidents happen. End of story.

4pipes 08-11-2014 09:18 PM

The obvious answer is... You need to work more and play less.:LOL:

Bryan Wilson 08-12-2014 02:07 AM

Hot pipes

I pulled up at a xmas party one year and those there were already quite drunk and this guy asks to see the engine so he steps forward to look at the engine putting his left leg against the 4 pipes where they come out. He then walks to the other side and sticks his right leg on the pipes on the other side he then has matching snake bites on both legs.
Cheers,
Bryan

henrik 08-12-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crenbbf (Post 1313974)
It's funny nobody gives a second thought to hot exhausts on a motorcycle

cheers

:LOL: I have burned my leg on the Harley more than once vs. only once on the Cobra... but then again, mine is a Backdraft with heat shield.

RodKnock 08-12-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 1314055)
My car had been parked for more than 10 minutes when this happened. I've had the car for 7 years, and I'm the only one that has ever gotten burned so far. No passenger has ever gotten burned in my car, becuase I tell them to stay put until I come over to the passenger door to help them out. Doubt I'll be wrapping my car in caution tape, since the odds of a bystander getting burned are pretty low.

The good news is that everybody in the world isn't sue crazy. I was out on the beach on Memorial Day with my dog and someone elses German Shepherd mix clamped on to my arm. I got a nasty gash that required 4 stiches. The people paid for my urgent care bill. No lawsuit. Accidents happen. End of story.

While we all would feel bad about any child getting hurt, there's only so much you can do at a cars and coffee event at Canepa in the Santa Cruz mountains.

At some point, the parent has to take some responsibility for supervision of their child. This is why parents childproof their houses, unplug toasters, fence their pools, parental locks on TiVo/TV's, lock up their liquor cabinets, don't let their kids grow up to be cowboys, etc.

CHANMADD 08-12-2014 03:37 PM

I just use my car like a car.......

GT350Mike 08-12-2014 08:44 PM

I'd bet the father was paying more attention to his cell than his daughter. Hate to hear the girl got too close to the car but I'm sure she won't make the same mistake twice.

Got the Bug 08-12-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4pipes (Post 1314057)
The obvious answer is... You need to work more and play less.:LOL:

Damn, I've always had that backwards. :LOL:

Got the Bug 08-12-2014 10:19 PM

Btw - Here's a pic of another Cobra restoration in process at Canepa. I texted a couple of pictures to Tim and asked him to guess where I was. His answer "heaven?" :)

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...0/Cobra154.JPG

PANAVIA 08-19-2014 03:54 PM

Doug - what a terrible thing to happen - This is one reason why DOT made actual sidepipes illegal on new cars after the 1968 MY.

If you had a side exit exhaust , it had to be covered.

as for the little girl - sad to hear, could have been prevented with a bit of parental guidance.

joyridin' 08-19-2014 04:44 PM

If you put up a sign and somebody burns themselves on the pipes, you could be responsible and have to pay the bill because you did not protect them from the pipes. If you have no sign, you claim you had no idea they were hot and walk away.

This is one of those cases where ignorance is the best policy.

My saying in these cases "They are still hot? Wow..."

scootter 08-22-2014 09:03 AM

Sounds to me like people just get to dam close. I drive it like a normal car. I am not going to cover the pipes, wait for the to cool or put any stickers outside of the car. If you get burned, you are to dam close!! Don't like to see it happen to little kids, but in my opinion it is the parents fault in that case.
As for getting bit by the dog, I would have only expected them to pay the medical only, as I would have had to pay for the owners after I punched them!!:p
Scott

BAsque1 08-30-2014 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Latest modification to my sidepipes, one for each side... still the People can't read them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:JEKYLHYDE:eek::mad:

FritoBandito 08-30-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAsque1 (Post 1316733)
Latest modification to my sidepipes, one for each side... still the People can't read them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:JEKYLHYDE:eek::mad:

I like the idea but I can envision someone walking up and kicking the cone into the size pipe. Melted plastic is a ***** to clean off. Harder than flesh anyway. :p

I'm reminded of a CA lawsuit against a plastic jerry can company. They made a 5 gallon liquid container that didn't have a vapor recovery/child-proof/enviro-blabla nozzle so it couldn't legally be used for fuel. The problem was that thanks to these missing "features" it became very popular for fuel use. As soon as the company realized why it sold so well they immediately molded a "not for fuel use" warning on the side. Instant lawsuit. CA said when they added the warning they admitted knowledge of the incorrect use and this made them responsible. Ugh.

I think the thing to do is hang around the car while it cools off.

Mario

Rawkkrawler 08-30-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritoBandito (Post 1316739)
As soon as the company realized why it sold so well they immediately molded a "not for fuel use" warning on the side. Instant lawsuit. CA said when they added the warning they admitted knowledge of the incorrect use and this made them responsible. Ugh.
Mario

Completely agree. Warning signs and/or waivers are mostly useless. As soon as you admit that you are putting anyone at risk, you're guilty.

I wait by the car until the pipes cool. At shows I usually have at least one person that wants to chat for a few before I walk away. Gives a little time to keep everything safe.

BAsque1 08-30-2014 10:09 AM

Well every time I go to a car show regardless I stay with the car or the wife stays with it and make sure that people are warned about the sidepipes. NO matter what you do the owner is always wrong...shame. I will speak to my attorney about this and will get back to all with his opinion.

PS
What about the rat rods and the T-buckets with their exposed headers are these guys are also liable if some idiot touches the headers?

lippy 08-30-2014 10:09 AM

I haven't had the car long, but I usually keep it in sight and warn people that get close that the pipes are hot. I do have a sticker on the door hinge cover inside the car that says "Caution, hot side pipes" as a reminder to my passengers and also to me, so they don't burn themselves getting out.

BAsque1 08-30-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritoBandito (Post 1316739)
I like the idea but I can envision someone walking up and kicking the cone into the size pipe. Melted plastic is a ***** to clean off. Harder than flesh anyway. :p

I'm reminded of a CA lawsuit against a plastic jerry can company. They made a 5 gallon liquid container that didn't have a vapor recovery/child-proof/enviro-blabla nozzle so it couldn't legally be used for fuel. The problem was that thanks to these missing "features" it became very popular for fuel use. As soon as the company realized why it sold so well they immediately molded a "not for fuel use" warning on the side. Instant lawsuit. CA said when they added the warning they admitted knowledge of the incorrect use and this made them responsible. Ugh.

I think the thing to do is hang around the car while it cools off.

Mario

Mario:
You cannot be more right about cleaning the plastic 2 years ago I hit a plastic grocery bag with the driver side pipe and it was a pain in the rear to clean. I light of this I will cover the area next to the pipe of the cone with aluminum foil ...oh well.