Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     
Default Hot side pipes...do I need a warning sign?

I decided to take a quick run over to Canepa Design in Scotts Valley on Saturday for their monthly coffee/open house event.

I pulled in and found a parking space right near the front door of Canepa's shop. I jumped out of the car and was immediately met with some questions about my car, which I happily answered. A guy with a dog walked near my car and I mentioned to him that he might want to keep the dog a safe distance because the pipes were still hot. I love dogs, but who brings their dog with them to look at cars? I waited a minute to make sure the little dog didn't lift his leg on my wheel, before going inside to check out the shop.

So I'm taking a walk through the shop and this guy comes walking up to me with a girl in tow (guessing about 9 years old). He asked me if I was the owner of the Silver Cobra. My first thought was that someone had backed into it. Nope, the girl had gotten too close to the car and burned her leg on the side pipe. Decent size burn...about the size of a half dollar. The guy suggested that I leave a sign on the car indicating that the pipes are hot. I'm sorry about the girl getting burned, but do I need to put some small orange cones out as well.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 08-10-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I have met people who do put a few little red cones out near the side pipes, and I have considered getting some myself. At car shows I will not leave my car to look at others until I can place my hand on the pipes and they are just warm to the touch; not very practical at a coffee shop.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
For the most part when I had my Cobra I found that even a plastic chain around it and about 6 feet from the car never kept some idiots from crawling under the chain and touching the pipes. Around here any sigh about them being hot is like a wet paint sign. They have to touch them to see if they really are hot. Two instances. I followed a guy from the local car club into the parking lot of a drive in we used to meet at and he got out with his cut off jeans on and walked right over to the Cobra and rubbed his leg against the side pipe. He had a huge bloody burn and was screaming that he just wanted to see if they were real. I told him that if he had held his hand about 8 inches from them he could have felt the heat. Other instance, one of our highway patrol officers that wanted to look at the car put his hand on the pipe to brace himself so he could lok at the bottom, and this about 20 seconds after I told him the side pipes were hot and be careful not to touch them. He had most of the skin in the palm of his hand burned off and to this day you can still see faint marks of his handpring on that pipe it you look just right.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-11-2014, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

This is a sore subject with me (no pun intended) but people don't think with any degree of common sense. I have a sign on the car, they still get close, especially kids. Then they look at you funny when you tell them not to get too close...

I hear Ron's suggestion which I thought to rope the car around to avoid people getting too close during shows. People are funny they see a sign of "do not touch" they will touch, they see a sign of hot pipes they have to touch! Doubting Thomas?

My wife has gotten bitten twice, she gets upset when I remind her every time before getting off the car. oh well... do you want another snake bite? I even carry a first aid kit now
Old 08-11-2014, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting these stories!

The info above confirms why I do not want to run live side pipes on my Cobra. I have 3 kids under 10 and it would be a matter of time before somebody got hurt. That, and I value my hearing.

I'll be running dummy side pipes and a stealthy undercar system. Luckily, the headers in my kit allow for an undercar system or live pipes, so if I decide to run live in future, it's an easy exercise.

I did hear that ceramic coating the pipes lowers the temperature to a point where you won't get burned. Not sure how true that is though.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

If your side pipes aren't going to be functional, then why have them?

Paul
Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
If your side pipes aren't going to be functional, then why have them?

Paul
For the same reason street going cars have spoilers...
They just look cool!
Russell9318 likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I would have suggested the father do a better job of: a) brainstorming the obvious, an exhaust pipe from a car that just parked may be hot and b) monitoring his children, especially at car event.

Don't be surprised if the father tracks you down and "asks" you to pay the medical bill.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
For the same reason street going cars have spoilers...
They just look cool!
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I think. If they aren't functional, they're just superfluous lengths of pipe stuck on the side of the car, which is daft IMO.

Much better to just have a rear exit system and do away with the "side pipes" altogether.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My rule of thumb is to stay with the car for at least 10 minutes before venturing out.Had I not
been there on a few occasions, there could have definitely been some problems and it's the little guys most of the time...

Last edited by Sideways; 08-13-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

You can't protect the world from hot exhausts and play guardian everywhere that you go. There's a point when people have to be held accountable for their children, their dogs and themselves. It's sad that the little girl had to be a minor burn victim, but you and your car did not move...they did.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Thanks for posting these stories!

The info above confirms why I do not want to run live side pipes on my Cobra. I have 3 kids under 10 and it would be a matter of time before somebody got hurt. That, and I value my hearing.

I'll be running dummy side pipes and a stealthy undercar system. Luckily, the headers in my kit allow for an undercar system or live pipes, so if I decide to run live in future, it's an easy exercise.

I did hear that ceramic coating the pipes lowers the temperature to a point where you won't get burned. Not sure how true that is though.
You don't have to do that as long as you kind of instruct your family members about it. The dummy sidepipes in my opinion is not worth the expense. By the way, the ceramic coating reduces the temperature, however, it still will burn you quite severe.
There are other suggestions here which are valid, but at the end of the day people do not use common sense when they attend the shows, between unattended kids, pets, bicycles and baby strollers, and people who have to TOUCH is not funny man.
I will keep my side pipes and let people know when they are too close, if they don't like it oh well I am sorry but they will get burn.
I never forget my dad one time showed me what a fan will do to a finger by using a hot dog, I never try to touch the blades of a fan ever, yet to this day kids try to touch them..
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Now I'm wondering if the father puts cones around his kitchen cooktop or stove after he turns off the tea kettle or makes dinner.
ACademic likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, in California, people are no longer responsible for their actions. The injured party will seek someone else to blame for their stupid deed, and that party will be you!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

I agree with a lot that's been said. I hate the nanny state, believe me, but even we get burned.
I like sideways' suggestion of sticking around a while and let the pipes cool.
We live in a country where 'man bites dog' and the man will sue the dog owner. And settle with your insurance co for a cool $100k.
I don't know who's worse, the dog owners or the parents.
When I take my kids to a show, I give 'em a speach.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's funny nobody gives a second thought to hot exhausts on a motorcycle

cheers
Old 08-11-2014, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I think. If they aren't functional, they're just superfluous lengths of pipe stuck on the side of the car, which is daft IMO.
Oh no WE don't...
I agree with YOU
Old 08-11-2014, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Please don't believe this. If you do, you WILL be leaving some of your dearly cherished flesh on your sidepipes.

Ted
Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

If I have to leave my car after i turn it off I just drape some welding blankets over them. I cut them to fit nicely and just roll them up when I'm done. I've paid the price.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Heres one for you from long years of open cockpit race car experience. When people walk up to look at your car, the first thing they will alway do is move to look into the drivers area, every time. Then they do the walk around second. And that leaning over the door area gets them burned on a hot Cobra, almost guaranteed. Doesn't matter if it's a Bug Eye, Indy Car or Cobra, if it's an open cockpit, they will go right to the drivers area to look inside.

I do know side pipe covers help and lower the chances, but not completely. Backdrafts come with side pipe covers and although not particularly attractive in my opinion (I have one), they do work for the accidental brush by. Even after a long drive, you can put your hand on the side pipe cover after a minute or two. BUT not the 4 pipes!!

And, never park and quickly open the hood for display. That's guaranteed to get someone burned on the 4 pipes as they get close and bend over to look in the engine bay. I have even done that opening the hood at a gas station myself and I should know better. Bet I'm not the only one......