Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     
Default SNKVNNM... down for awhile. :(

I took SNKVNNM for a quick ride last week and I've been noticing some coolant puddling. After parking. At first I thought it was from the hose connected to the water pump as I usually have 2 clamps and 1 was missing! But even after that, the puddling occurs again, but it appears to be only the left side, and now I'm seeing some drops of oil as well. This points to the cylinder head. I've already retorqued them back in August and this stopped for a couple of months but now, it's back and I think the studs have stretched beyond their useful life.

Just for a background: for the last 8 years, I've used the same head studs that were bought 'used' when I first started this project in 2003 (the year I was going down the path of a budget build); it came with a used set of Edelbrock Performer RPM's (that had needed new valve seals) and some CompCam roller rockers. A few of those studs had some indications of pitting but I didn't think it was that serious but knowing they were used, I wasn't too sure of how many time they were torqued or worse, over torqued.

The problem has always been on the left side of the engine, but if I'm going through the trouble of replace these, I may as well do all of them.

So SNKVNNM will be offline for awhile. Time to get online and order a new set of studs and head gaskets, intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Herman, I hope that you will be back on the road with your car soon. Your early detection of a problem with your car, the diagnosis of what the problem may be, and the readiness to correct it on your own, is truly in keeping with the ownership of the cars that we put up with in spite of the many shortcomings that they have compared with modern cars. I think that in many ways, our cars are like another wife: They are beautiful, curvy, and require a lot of maintenance.
Richard
Old 11-04-2014, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

When choosing studs Look on ARPs site. They have some that utilize a reduced diameter of the shank for the SHORT studs that allow them to STRETCH and retain the necessary clamping force necessary for good gasket sealing and retention. This technology works.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

When choosing studs look on ARPs site. They have some that utilize a reduced diameter of the shank for the SHORT studs that allow them to STRETCH and retain the necessary clamping force necessary for good gasket sealing and retention. This technology works.

Oops!

Moderator: Remove this duplicate post.........

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 11-04-2014 at 05:34 PM..
Old 11-04-2014, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Rick:
I did a lot of reading on their website when I first built the engine, but the cheap side of me didn't think about the "pitting" of the ARP studs I had obtained "used". Thought they'd hold up ok. Well, they did for the past 8 years but that how you learn stuff.

I'll be getting a brand new set this time around and will do both sides, not just the side that's leaking. So a whole new set of gaskets are in order as well.

I'm going to give it a go to do this IN the car. If not, the engine hoist and stand will need to be reassembled (they've been in storage for quite awhile.)
Old 11-04-2014, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You should be able to do the heads off an replace the studs W/O pulling the engine.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It might also be your waterpump shaft seal?