21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 05-18-2016, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     
Default Broken Windshield

After 27K miles my Superformance windshield cracked. I had it replaced last Oct. and put 400 miles on the car and it cracked again. The drivers side windshield post is not screwed tight to the frame but the screws are bottomed out.

It's pretty clear the installer screwed up. I will be taking the car back to him next week but his attitude on the phone was not good.

Pending our meeting, I am searching for a new installer. Does anyone know an installer in the area AND where I can get another windshield in N. Calif?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

There are three I would investigate; Cobra Valley, Fast Freddie's, and Optical Armor. All three names are clickable.

The windscreens are polycarbonate similar to what race teams use on modern day Funny Cars. It will not crack or shatter. It is not DOT approved. It is very likely the last wind screen you will ever buy for the car.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

There is a recall on Superformance windshield. Info on Superformance owner group web site.

I'm am so sorry I just checked the owner's group web site and I was wrong. I thought that I had read an article about the windshield but I was wrong...
I am sorry again.

Last edited by snapier; 05-20-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Go with the polycarbonate windshield at the price they want for a finished screen you can buy a 4x8 sheet and make 6 and sell the other 5, very easy to do.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I checked SCOF Superformance Owners Group.....No search results for windshield recall.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra Dan. Where is this Polycarbonate windshield material.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any large plastic distributor in your area will have the product .

Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab5150 View Post
Cobra Dan. Where is this Polycarbonate windshield material.
Try TAP plastics in Citris Heights. I have bought several different types of plastics for my former business. They are on Auburn Blvd.

Lou
Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Tom,

Performance Unlimited sells the poly one.
Cobra Valley's PolyGlass Hi-Performance Windshields.

I bought my windshield from Dynamic Auto Sports and installed it myself.

Hillbank could probably order you one as well.

Taramino over in South SF probably could steer you in the right direction.

Scott
Old 06-08-2016, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry

Well..............

I had my windshield done the first time at The Mustang Corral in Grass Valley. The owner assured me he has done over 30 Cobras in the last 20 years and he is very competent in changing the windshield glass.

After 350 miles the glass broke again so I took the car to his shop. I checked around the area where it cracked and noted the major 1st crack came directly off the center screw.....Hmmmmm... too long?

Additionally, the top screw on the drivers side was bottomed out but under further scrutiny found the post was not tight against the frame causing the vibration I noticed in my mirror as I hit certain RPM's.

He revealed he had to do the mounting twice because he didn't like the first rubber he used. He did not reveal he sent it out "at his expense" to have another glass company frame the glass until the day I went back to see him. That really pisses me off.

The owner said he wanted to ponder what could have gone wrong and at that point I knew he was not going to accept responsibility. I received an email several days ago stating he feels he is not responsible....period!

I took the car to Ken's Custom in Yuba City for an assessment. He advised the windshield will have to be removed to evaluate if the first crack was from the screw going in too far. Regardless Ken does not replace windshields but he does replace the entire windshield with frame from the Superformance factory. (3 months down the road for shipping.)

My insurance did not squeak even though the windshield and frame is close to $3000. Furthermore my insurance guy said he's had similar quotes from other shops who refuse to change out the windshield only.Sounds like the experience I was assured of from the Corral was not accurate.

Windshield and frame on the way!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I've replaced mine twice due to rocks cracking it and each time I called my insurance company and they assigned a local auto glass company to do the job.

Citywide auto glass came to my house, removed the windshield from the car and did the glass replacement at their shop. Cost me $100 (my deductible) each time. They got the glass from SPF in Orange County. I believe they said the glass was $750.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

So today my wife assisted in replacing the windshield in our Cobra. I ordered a Lexan screen from Fast Freddie's Fabrication. It was $450.00 shipped. Payed on PayPal and had it at my door in 4 days. The instructions were very simple and had clear photos that made sense. We knocked it out in one hour. That's from very start to installed and clean with my new club sticker. If you are thinking about swapping screens, you have to use these guys.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2016, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

AttaBoy Mike. Nice Sticker!

Glad you didn't give the screws that last little 1/8th turn.(voice of experience)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike...if your car is a Superformance what is the frame number. I notice the mirror on the dash so I am assuming its an early car. My car is 2769 and I know it has a different windshield than early cars.
AND...Are you completely satisfied or would you really rather have glass if they ware the same price? tom
Old 06-11-2016, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well..............

I had my windshield done the first time at The Mustang Corral in Grass Valley. The owner assured me he has done over 30 Cobras in the last 20 years and he is very competent in changing the windshield glass.

After 350 miles the glass broke again so I took the car to his shop. I checked around the area where it cracked and noted the major 1st crack came directly off the center screw.....Hmmmmm... too long?

Additionally, the top screw on the drivers side was bottomed out but under further scrutiny found the post was not tight against the frame causing the vibration I noticed in my mirror as I hit certain RPM's.

He revealed he had to do the mounting twice because he didn't like the first rubber he used. He did not reveal he sent it out "at his expense" to have another glass company frame the glass until the day I went back to see him. That really pisses me off.

The owner said he wanted to ponder what could have gone wrong and at that point I knew he was not going to accept responsibility. I received an email several days ago stating he feels he is not responsible....period!

I took the car to Ken's Custom in Yuba City for an assessment. He advised the windshield will have to be removed to evaluate if the first crack was from the screw going in too far. Regardless Ken does not replace windshields but he does replace the entire windshield with frame from the Superformance factory. (3 months down the road for shipping.)

My insurance did not squeak even though the windshield and frame is close to $3000. Furthermore my insurance guy said he's had similar quotes from other shops who refuse to change out the windshield only.Sounds like the experience I was assured of from the Corral was not accurate.

Windshield and frame on the way!
Small Claims Court exists specifically to resolve situations like these. There was nothing wrong with the money you paid to him for the service he provided and it is reasonable to expect nothing to be wrong with the service you received for those monies.

You can be virtually certain that if the monies were less than requested you would not have heard the end of it (including mechanics liens) until he was paid. The solution should be no different when the shoe is on the other foot. You did not install the glass, he did and without your participation. Whether or not he personally did the work or used someone else is irrelevant. Your contract for service was with him.

He owns this problem and no one else. Small claims will see it the same way .

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
AttaBoy Mike. Nice Sticker!

Glad you didn't give the screws that last little 1/8th turn.(voice of experience)
That's how I broke the glass!! The guy from Fast Freddie's said those screws keep them in business. He said with the Lexan don't worry about trimming the screws. Crank them down as tight as you want, it won't hurt the Lexan at all.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mike...if your car is a Superformance what is the frame number. I notice the mirror on the dash so I am assuming its an early car. My car is 2769 and I know it has a different windshield than early cars.
AND...Are you completely satisfied or would you really rather have glass if they ware the same price? tom
My Cobra was made by Legendary out of Florida in the 90's. No longer business. They are almost all the same. They can give you the dimensions and you can measure yours easy enough. The Lexan was easy to install and they say it's nearly bullet proof. We shall see. I'm very happy with it so far.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

See if this helps.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2016, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Find size you need

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360687535283

1/4 X 48 X 24 is $73.00

The guys bought a 1/4 inch sheet not cheap put I only needed one of six, cost as I remember was about $100.00 for mine. Pulled out broken glass laid plastic around glass to use as template, cut with jig saw and installed into frame. Really easy.

Last edited by CobraDan; 06-12-2016 at 01:33 AM..
Old 06-12-2016, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If it cost about $600.00 for a piece for 6 and only about $100.00 each our cobra club had no problem selling the others. The glass was normally broken by a screw from the frame as was mine. I no longer own my cobra but it still has the plastic windshield in it. I will tell you, our guys did crack some of the plastic ones because of racing at high speeds and flexing the frame. It still came out cheaper than glass or buying one that is already pre made.