Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2016, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     
Default Registration Process for a Replica?

I'm contemplating an ERA build, but am concerned about licensing it in CA. When I investigated it several years ago I as in Oregon and it was pretty easy. From my investigation it looks like only 500 are allowed per year, which seems really low?
Old 10-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
I'm contemplating an ERA build, but am concerned about licensing it in CA. When I investigated it several years ago I as in Oregon and it was pretty easy. From my investigation it looks like only 500 are allowed per year, which seems really low?
Yes, 500 SB100/SPCNS exemptions are allowed in CA each calendar year. Nowadays, I highly doubt anything near 500 get used each year. But it was quite competitive back in mid-2000's.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

No worries about getting one of the 500 exemptions. There have been unclaimed numbers every year since 2008.

I got my number in September of 2009 and was told by the DMV supervisor that there were hundreds left. Hasn't changed since the recession/recovery.

Last edited by jhv48; 10-31-2016 at 01:59 PM..
Old 10-31-2016, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
No worries about getting one of the 500 exemptions. There have been unclaimed numbers every year since 2008.

I got my number in September of 2009 and was told by the DMV supervisor that there were hundreds left. Hasn't changed since the recession/recovery.
Jim,
Thanks! Can I apply for a number before I have the car, or do I need it to get the number physically applied?

Evan
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You don't physically need the car when applying for the number, but you physically must have the MSO, which is typically delivered with the car. If you can get the MSO in advance, then yes, you can get your number before the car arrives.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You can get the MSO in advance. All you have to do is write the appropriate check. Easy as pie.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You can get the MSO in advance. All you have to do is write the appropriate check. Easy as pie.
I'll ask about it. Hopefully "appropriate" is not the same as "paid-in-full".

Here's what the CA DMV site says:
Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed (SPCNS) vehicle does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

The Registration Requirements are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturers' certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more.
Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. Click here for information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence . To make an appointment at a BAR Referee Station, call 1-800-622-7733.
All fees due.
Visit your local DMV to begin the application process, make an Appointment(s) for faster service.
So if I have a company build a turn-key minus car, do they qualify as "a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer"?

Also, I couldn't find anything on the CHP site that describes the process for "vehicle verification". Do I need to trailer it to a CHP site for inspection?

What are "official brake and light adjustment receipts?" Where do I get them?

What about emissions testing? It looks like if I get one of the 500 Specialty Constructed Vehicle Certificates I will be able to register the car as the year of the motor?
Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control

What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?
Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since specially constructed vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned year model of the vehicle or they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the year model for future inspection purposes.

What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?
An SPCNS certificate of sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle (If the vehicle or engine does not resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the year model). The certificate is issued by DMV headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, vehicles will be assigned a year model matching the calendar year in which the application is submitted or applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS certificates of sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.

Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different year model determination.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. If the vehicle is sold before the application complete, the seller of the vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS certificate of sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one calendar year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be reissued if the record shows a smog exempt status and the original State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Information Label is not affixed to the vehicle for:

SPCNS nonresident vehicles with a vehicle record showing a smog exempt status.
Buyers registering a vehicle as SPCNS with smog exempt status on the record.
In these cases, the owner must take the vehicle to BAR.
Thanks again for all the help!
Robert McLinden likes this.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I know absolutely nothing about California law or regs, but I do know that "Paid in Full" is only $21,900 now. Era Replica Automobiles 427 - The premier 427 replica in kit and turn-key
Old 10-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Here's what the CA DMV site says:
Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed (SPCNS) vehicle does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

The Registration Requirements are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturers' certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more.
Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. Click here for information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence . To make an appointment at a BAR Referee Station, call 1-800-622-7733.
All fees due.
Visit your local DMV to begin the application process, make an Appointment(s) for faster service.
So if I have a company build a turn-key minus car, do they qualify as "a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer"?

Also, I couldn't find anything on the CHP site that describes the process for "vehicle verification". Do I need to trailer it to a CHP site for inspection?

What are "official brake and light adjustment receipts?" Where do I get them?

What about emissions testing? It looks like if I get one of the 500 Specialty Constructed Vehicle Certificates I will be able to register the car as the year of the motor?
Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control

What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?
Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since specially constructed vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned year model of the vehicle or they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the year model for future inspection purposes.

What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?
An SPCNS certificate of sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle (If the vehicle or engine does not resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the year model). The certificate is issued by DMV headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, vehicles will be assigned a year model matching the calendar year in which the application is submitted or applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS certificates of sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.

Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different year model determination.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. If the vehicle is sold before the application complete, the seller of the vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS certificate of sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one calendar year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be reissued if the record shows a smog exempt status and the original State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Information Label is not affixed to the vehicle for:

SPCNS nonresident vehicles with a vehicle record showing a smog exempt status.
Buyers registering a vehicle as SPCNS with smog exempt status on the record.
In these cases, the owner must take the vehicle to BAR.
Thanks again for all the help!
Obviously all this information is contained throughout this website. Search is your friend.

The MSO will state the year as 1965, hopefully. That's what BAR will hopefully use. The year of engine doesn't apply anymore IIRC. Someone will correct me, if I'm wrong.

Do NOT register your Cobra as a 1966 in CA. As a 1965, you'll getaway with a simple PCV system at BAR. As a 1966, you may be screwed:

CA SB100: 1965 or 1966?

The brake & light inspection used to be hit or miss. If the DMV counter person processing your registration application makes note of it on your incomplete registration notice, then you'll have to take your Cobra to a licensed B&L inspection station. More info here:

1st step complete - ERA805 has a SPCNS

More for you to read:

My Recent Experience with SB100 & Bringing a Used Cobra into California
Old 10-31-2016, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RodKnock,
Thanks. I've spent a good portion of my time searching and digesting this form since joining a few days ago, but I obviously missed these threads. They are very helpful.

By the way, where are you located? Your signature doesn't say.

AC
Old 11-01-2016, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I registered my first kit car back in 1994, it was just a visit to the DMV. Then off to the BAR for the smog inspection. It went straight forward. Come next month, I am going to be in the same boat as you. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
When I registered my first kit car back in 1994, it was just a visit to the DMV. Then off to the BAR for the smog inspection. It went straight forward. Come next month, I am going to be in the same boat as you. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Brastic,
I'll post my experiences, but I'm just ordering my car now, so it will be at least 15 months before I get it and complete the registration process. I will try to get started early by paying off the full kit price when they start so I can get the MSO and start making appointments.

AC
Old 11-15-2016, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have my DMV appointment today. I purchased a complete and registered Cobra with 19k miles. I have the bill of sale, AK title, filled out REG 343 and my check book. Wish me luck.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck! What was the car registered as in AK?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since the car was registered as a 1965 SPCN in AK, the DMV took it. I am standing there with a half inch of build recites and stuff, and the DMV just took the sign AK title. I smiled, said thank you and left. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Since the car was registered as a 1965 SPCN in AK, the DMV took it. I am standing there with a half inch of build recites and stuff, and the DMV just took the sign AK title. I smiled, said thank you and left. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Since there was not SPCNS program in 1965, nor was your Cobra produced in 1965, you're title is incorrect. You must have gotten someone unfamiliar with the process. You're certainly taking a chance here, hoping the CA DMV will not catch up to the incorrect registration, assuming of course, you didn't go through the SB100/SB1578/SPCNS process of going to the CHP and BAR.

Good luck. I'd be nervous without that magical BAR sticker on my car.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Woohoo congratulations!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tread lightly with that 1965 registration. According to the CHP, your vehicle is fraudulently registered and can be confiscated if caught. You can be prosecuted and fined in the process. Even though the dmv based the registration on how the previous state registered it, it still isn't a 1965 vehicle and if caught, you will be held responsible. The reason is simple, $$$$$. California bases their registration fees on the actual year of the vehicle. The newer the date, the higher the fees. Thus, by knowingly allowing the car to be registered as a 1965 when in reality it is a 20--, you are considered to be committing fraud.

This has been discussed many times on this forum. Not condemning you. I'm only making you aware of the possible repercussions.
There are stories of officers walking car shows and checking the registrations of all the cars. Any found to be be incorrect were towed away and the owner left to fight it out at a later date. Just the thought of having my car towed to a storage lot was enough to make me cringe.

If it were me, I would return to the DMV and inform them of their error and begin the correct sb100 registration process and pay the appropriate fees. Then drive and enjoy the peace of mind.

Last edited by jhv48; 11-15-2016 at 05:48 PM..
Old 11-16-2016, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the replies. I have an appointment with the DMW for Friday and I will bring up date. I really want my paperwork to be clean so that there are no hassles in the future.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've reached out to a professional registration expert. They take care of everything except the physical portion (e.g. CHP vehicle inspection). No idea what it costs, but I like the idea of not having to deal with bureaucracy (at least on my first go).