Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CA SB100: 1965 or 1966?

I'm starting the process of registering my new ERA Cobra in California, and I've been reading everything I can on what I need to do. I was all set to register it as a 1965 bodystyle Cobra, then then noticed that the MSO that ERA calls the car a "1966 replica Cobra"

Is this going to cause me any SB100 issues since the original emissions requirements are very different for those years?

Thanks,
Kent
Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter. All that is needed is a PCV system. What do you say is the difference in 1965 vs 1966 emissions requirements?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your reply. I tried to respond with a link to where I got the information, but it is being moderated since I'm a new poster. Here is what I found:
1955 and Newer: Closed crankcase (PCV, Sealed filler Cap, Air cleaner to C/Case hose).
1966 and Newer: Exhaust Emission Controls (Air Cleaner, Carburetor, Distributor, Air Pump, EGR,
Vacuum valves, ECU, Sensors, etc.). Pretty much everything related to the operation of that big air pump
we call an 'engine' is considered an emission control device. Your car, when it gets it's BAR number has to
have all of the STOCK devices intact and operating. You cannot change carburetors, air cleaners,
distributor, etc. STOCK. I can't stress this enough.
My crate motor came with push-in style valve cover breathers. Do I need to replace them with the type that use a hose going to a catch can?

Thanks,
Kent
Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

You are correct. You need to register the car as a 1965 body style to get by with a PCV system. Don't know what can be done with the MSO. It would seem that ERA should help you in some way.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

I did the SB 100 registration a couple of years ago. I registered my car as a 65. Besides a PVC system they also required me to have an enclosed valve cover breather that had a hose from it to the air cleaner. I went to the auto parts store and bought the breather, less than $10, and then made a bracket to hold the end of the hose from the breather against the side of the air cleaner element(I didnt want to drill a hole in the bottom of the air cleaner.) The BAR inspector was happy with that but it depends on who's on duty when you go in. Good luck!

Kim
Old 09-05-2016, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The hose to the air cleaner is going to be tricky since I'm running a Borla induction system with 8 velocity stacks.

I'll check with ERA to see if the MSO saying it is a replica of a 1966 will be a problem.

So with a PCV system, does one valve cover still have the breather while the other has the PCV valve with the hose?

Thanks,
Kent
Old 09-05-2016, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Up to ERA chassis 731 (with one exception: the prototype), the car was a copy of the later body style, with round tail-lights, although rectangular tail-lights were an option. 731-on had the rectangular tail-lights which were on the earlier original cars. (Hopefully someone has some idea of the change-over date of the original cars, but I think it's safe to assume 1965-mid-66 were "early" style.)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobura View Post
You are correct. You need to register the car as a 1965 body style to get by with a PCV system. Don't know what can be done with the MSO. It would seem that ERA should help you in some way.
This is correct!!!!!

Do NOT attempt to register the car as a 1966 model unless you are going to do it using a 1965 or earlier engine block, and are going to do it by the year of the block.

Trust me, YOU DO NOT WANT TO REGISTER THIS CAR AS A 1966. REPEAT. YOU DO NOT WANT TO REGISTER THIS CAR AS A 1966.

Sometime when you have a few hours to spare, I can tell you about my experience with the BAR (bureau of automotive repair) trying to register a car with an MSO stating a YOM 1966.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 09-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW you'll need a PCV system no matter what year you go by.

But unless you want to have a smog pump, the correct carbs, heads, intake etc, you don't want to even think about doing this as a 1966.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmyers View Post
The hose to the air cleaner is going to be tricky since I'm running a Borla induction system with 8 velocity stacks.

I'll check with ERA to see if the MSO saying it is a replica of a 1966 will be a problem.

So with a PCV system, does one valve cover still have the breather while the other has the PCV valve with the hose?

Thanks,
Kent
You'll need a "closed system". So "yes." The PCV will be plumbed to the intake below the carb (ie to the intake manifold), and the other will be plumbed to the intake above the carb, usually tapped into the air filter.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I wondered about the following when was registering mine in CO, and again when I saw a previous topic on this same subject....

How is the PCV "plumbing" done on the 8-stack DFI systems? My Roush engine had K&N filters on both sides... I thought maybe it would go into one of the trumpets but never found a place to run it, and Colorado didn't pester me about it.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igofastr View Post
This is correct!!!!!

Do NOT attempt to register the car as a 1966 model unless you are going to do it using a 1965 or earlier engine block, and are going to do it by the year of the block.

Trust me, YOU DO NOT WANT TO REGISTER THIS CAR AS A 1966. REPEAT. YOU DO NOT WANT TO REGISTER THIS CAR AS A 1966.
Wow, this confirms what I was afraid of. I'll contact ERA and see if I can straighten out the MSO

Thanks,
Kent
bingo2 likes this.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

How is the PCV "plumbing" done on the 8-stack DFI systems? My Roush engine had K&N filters on both sides... I thought maybe it would go into one of the trumpets but never found a place to run it, and Colorado didn't pester me about it.
Mine is similar with velocity stacks with just a wire mesh (it will be a low milage car, I may retrofit real filters later and just use the stacks for shows)

So is an oil catch can not an option?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Kent,
Were you able to get a 1965 MSO from ERA?
AC
Old 11-01-2016, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA was able to exchange my MSO for a 1965 one without an issue.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool! Thanks!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Next step is my BAR inspection next Monday. I've fashioned a PCV system after talking with Borla about ways to do it. The PCV valve routes to the intake manifold and the other valve cover has a hose routing into the side of one of the velocity stacks. Borla was nice enough to send me a spare stack to drill a hole in. It actually came out looking pretty nice.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great news. Keep us posted.

Where in CA are you located?
Old 11-01-2016, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All very interesting, my car was sold as a 1966 in November of 1965 and had a PCV system and nothing else in California. The street Cobras sold as 1965 models were 289's all other early 427's including street Comps or SC's were sold as 1966 cars. Sounds like the rules are different for SB-100.
LMH likes this.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
All very interesting, my car was sold as a 1966 in November of 1965 and had a PCV system and nothing else in California. The street Cobras sold as 1965 models were 289's all other early 427's including street Comps or SC's were sold as 1966 cars. Sounds like the rules are different for SB-100.
Not 100% sure of the difference, because I don't know the emissions requirements for the original Cobras here in CA, but I used to own a 1966 Corvette Convertible with a 427ci/425hp (solid lifter) engine. There were two 427's offered by GM in 1966. The other 427 offered was a 427ci/390hp (hydraulic lifter). While the 390hp Corvettes had smog (air) pumps in 1966, the 425hp Corvettes were smog (air) pump exempt and only had to have a PCV system.

So, maybe the 1966 Cobras here in CA also had the smog (air) pump exemption, similar to the 1966 Corvette 427ci/425hp cars. Just my guess.