17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Seeking Contact with Ron Stroke

Dear Bay Area Cobra Folks: I addressed this thread to you, because I am trying to make contact with Ron Stroke, a very capable Autocrosser back in the 60’s and 70’s. I believe he was also affiliated with Coventry Motors, who sold my Cobra to Sam CARDWELL “NEW” back in 1964 or so. One of the owners of Coventry Motors was a fellow named Jay Brown. I am not sure if Ron Stroke was a partner in CM or not, but I am pretty sure he autocrossed Cobras for CM, as advertisement. I want to be careful that I do not write much more, because I do not know the story of Ron. My interest in contacting him is to find out the specifics of his relationship with CM, and learn more about the operation of CM.

In my past phone interviews with Roy Miller, the Sales Manager for Cobras at Hayward Ford, Roy suggested that CM got quite a few cars from HF, and then sold them to buyers. Roy did not go into any detail about how this worked, other than to say that selling a Cobra was not easy. They had so many of them on the lot at HF at one point, that Roy hired his son, Gary, to start and drive them around the lot to keep in from falling apart. Anyway, my intentions are pure. I’m just trying to put some pieces togethger. I have tried to do this over the 52 years that have owned my car, but I never got very far! Thanks for any help!! Bob Beede
Old 08-11-2019, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the first place I'd ask is Drew Serb who runs the Cobra Experience museum.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Rob,

Anyone who sold Cobra's in the early 60's was likely in his late 20's possibly early 30's. That would put them well north of 80 today.. Assuming they were still alive, it's a good bet they likely would have left California some time back because of the meteoric rise in the cost of living not withstanding the very different CA value systems today compared to back then.

Not intending to rain on your parade but, that is quite a long shot you're taking. On second thought, it is always possible someone younger may know of his whereabouts or perhaps where he moved to — possible ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

If his full name is Ronald Joel Stroke and he would be 86 years old today and living in Colorado (after living in CA) then the numbers that come up for him are:

(303) 653-3895
(720) 851-8430
(916) 501-7211
Old 08-12-2019, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!

Thanks Cashburn. Impressive sleuthing and fast too!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thank YOU!!!! I’m Stoked!

Cashburn!! You Da Man, Brother!! Thank you so much for your time and effort! I will give those numbers a go, and hopefully get a chance to speak to the “REAL” Ron Stroke of Cobra fame!
Will post an update later!
Best,
Bob Beede
Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

You may want to talk with Allen Grant since he drove for CM during that time? I also have contact info for the son of the owner of Hayward Ford if that might help?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks CompClassics!

Dear John: Thank you for your willingness to help! Do you need to OK sharing the contact information before sending to me via private message? Are you speaking of Gary Miller? If so, his father, Roy, was a sales manager, not owner of HF.

Did you get the private message I sent you about the back cover of the 1963 Pacific Grand Prix? The Email address I have for you (att.net) appears to be out dated.

Thanks, John!
Bob Beede
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You might also try contacting Bill and/or Dave Murray at the Shelby American Collection museum in Boulder, Colorado. www.shelbyamericancollection.org. Phone number on the web site. They have a huge collection of Cobras and GT40s (including Larry Miller's cars) and have an annual gathering (coming up in a few weeks) that draws lots of the old Shelby team. Grant will certainly be there. It's possible Stroke comes too although I don't remember his name being mentioned. The museum is only open Saturday 10-4 (mountain time).