Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Value of a 40th Anniversery Car

What is the current value of a 40th anniversery Shelby. I noticed one on e-bay. According to the seller's website the asking price is 175,000. This seems really high to me in this market.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. There are a lot of nice
SPF's on Cobra Country (not 40 yr anniv) in the $50k range. What adds
$125k to that one other than some fancy logo and a 40 car edition limit?
Oops - looks like I missed the "Shelby" in the post, I was thinking SPFs.

Last edited by HI Cobra; 08-04-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Let me get this straight.

CSX4337 it is a car from 2002, it is being sold by a Ford Dealer with 0 feedback. and it has NOT met reserve at 116K....

why not go buy a nice SPF or a Kirkey.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bare Aluminum pre-Kirkham CSX4000 427 Stroker by Southern Automotive.
Not Ranked     
Default Price justification?

The auction is at $115,200.00, which is probably under the original cost of production. The Cobra does have an aluminum body, which adds $25-$30 thousand to the price. It is one of a limited production sub-set of a regular production line of CSX4000 Cobras. Plus, love or hate The Man himself, it has the pedigree of a REAL Cobra. Since the MSO has not been surrendered to title the vehicle, you can be the "official" first owner.

I don't know the true extra value of the 40th Anniversary Edition package, but $175k may be only $35K or less over cost at 2002 (or whenever it was built) prices.

The current economy makes speculation on cars not for the faint of heart. This reserve price may be too high, or not. One would have to bank on prices going up on all newer production vehicles associated with CS if resale at a profit is your motivation.

Obviously, cars at this price level are not purchased to abuse or "drive like you stole it." By comparison, the CSX4000 R Model at $250k opening bid on eBay, makes this one look like a bargain.

Both look like nice Cobras, but I won't be bidding.

Fast Farmer
Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

You really cannot compare a 40th Anniversary CSX with a superformance. I know of two fiberglass CSX Cobra's with cast iron 428's that have sold North of $120K. Wait till Carrol goes to the race track in the sky. You can count on the CSX cobra's going further up in price as well as any other Shelby related vehicle for that matter.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

of course a slightly damaged fiberglass roller CSX car just sold here for 30K, so who knows where the market is headed
Old 08-04-2008, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     

If it were me I would go with a Kirkham. Of course that is what I did.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Let's face it the car is a KMS with a CSX#. The registry and CS classifies these cars as component cars. Collectability will be determined in 20 years or after CS moves on. I (opinion of course) don't think the 40th A car is any more desirable than any other 4000 ally car.

I would determine price this way, what would a comparable KMS sell for then add how much you would pay for the CSX#. That will be what the car is worth to you.

With any luck the car will get more valuable however these cars seem to hold value so buy it to enjoy and not as an investment.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Let's face it the car is a KMS with a CSX#.

That's simply BS. The KMS is a much better car.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1 View Post
You really cannot compare a 40th Anniversary CSX with a superformance. I know of two fiberglass CSX Cobra's with cast iron 428's that have sold North of $120K. Wait till Carrol goes to the race track in the sky. You can count on the CSX cobra's going further up in price as well as any other Shelby related vehicle for that matter.
The funny thing is that Shelby will probably produce the same number of cars or more long after he goes to the "big race track in the sky." His family will make every effort to continue to license and leverage the name...and really who could blame them.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it