28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     
Cool SPF 2734 Update --TEST FLIGHT -OK!!!

SPF 2734 updated 11-2-2008!

Saturday after alices I went to work making some final adjustments and ironing out a few bugs.

at about 2PM it was able to be driven and I warmed it up and took it for a shake down around the block (street to street, san tomas expressway ) a few times all went well!!! (with my temp tag in the front window)

Speedo and oil pressure guages still dont work but I know I am getting good oil pressure and I put the tach in temporarily to see what is up.
Update: all gauges now work, replaced AMP with Autometer Volt gauge.

Brakes now work, basically spent 2 hours bleeding bubbles ( yes...don ho' lyrics apply here)

with BOSS 302 B&S'd to *327ci* 5.3L ,fuel injection tuned , 93 cobra intake manifold, 1995 65mm throttle body and world products windsor jr. heads this thing JAMS, zips like a squirt gun.
Update : fuel injection has caught a cold and is acting funny, thinking it is a grounding issue.

Bugs still to be nailed out;

1. need new belt, as I chewed 1 rib out of 6 adjusting it, but the other 5 still work.
Update: done. 37" 6 RIB Serpentine belt installed. -works great. 130AMP 3rd Gen ford ALT installed.
Not to worry, I replaced the AMP gauge with a VOLT gauge and added a sub harness for the Alt. (removed orig reg and orig alt connection.)

2. need to rig a line from the oil pressure gauge to the block , factory one wont work / was perforated.
Update: Done, AN#3 line. (thank you royal brass guys in downtown SJ)

3. speedo cable turns correctly but spedo wont, havent really looked at this yet.
Update: I am a doof, with a 3550 tremec you pull the 90 degree reverse drive box -- duh. (35miles on car so far)

4. fan relay from EFI to 'activate fans upon a specific temp does not er...activate... so manual fans for now, got to go play with that....
Update:11-2; works great, Car runs at 148.5 degrees with the fans on manually at extended idle. when I turn the fans off and go to automatic fans, the fans kick on at 182 degrees and off at 170. ---I can tell it to turn on wherever I want with the computer and rigged an override switch for manual ON.

5. fuel return line to tank has leaked before so we are keeping an eye on it.
Update : ripping out engine bay fuel lines and moving fuel regulator , as I think I am fighting vapor lock with the EFI as well
Update 11-12; Moved fuel regulator and re-did hoses and wrapped them in space blanket. seems to work ok.

Update 11-2; Wrapped the headers the first 10"/12" from the heads flange down the pipes--and dropped engine bay temps SIGNIFICANTLY.
Fuel Injection seems to be acting OK, and i have to make a heat sink for the ICM module as the metal back gets way too hot.

More news as it happens.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 11-03-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf #1723 427w
Not Ranked     

Hey Steve,

Scott and I ordered new oil lines from a company called British American Transfer... Or B.A.T for short. All stainless steel braided with the correct ends. Gauge takes metric size. Great lines and only took 30 minutes to install. Ask Scott for model # as I'm sure he still has it.

http://www.batinc.net/main.htm

Greg

Last edited by Greg tripp; 10-12-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Old 10-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Congrats Steve!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fantastic and congratulations!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #633, 351w stroker, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Great! Reminds me - I need to change out my brake fluid.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Old 10-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Steve!!

Based on your punch list, you'll be on the road in no time!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Great job Steve! You da man.

I now have a grand total of about 300 miles on my car and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I hope to get out to one of the local events real soon.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Steve,

Congratulations ... way to go!

Once you get the loose ends buttoned up, the smiles and miles are sure to follow.

- Tim
Old 10-13-2008, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you all for you the kind words of encouragement!

now where do we get these things alligned >?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I would recommend Custom Alignment in Mountain View. They do a lot of high end cars, Cobras included. They are usually busy, so if you decide to go with them, call ahead. I don't have any first hand Cobra experience, but have used them in the past.

Here is a link to there site.

http://www.customalignment.com/

Regards,

- Tim
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve - regarding the speedo...do you have the reverser gear installed? That was one item my dealer forgot to give to me and my speedo didnt work off the bat either. Once I realized the problem they shipped me one out right away. Basically the reverser takes the rotation from the cable and 180's it so the backwards speedo will work correctly. It attaches to the back of the speedo and the cable plugs into it. Very easy to install.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I've used CA in MtVw, and they are good, but expensive. I recently had my SPF aligned and corner weighed at Roger Kraus in Castrol Valley. For me, 1) Roger is a tad closer to my house and 2) he is the local distributor of the tires I wanted. So, it just made sense to go to Roger for 1-stop shopping.

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 10-13-2008 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: spelling...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Steve,

Custom Alignment has a great reputation. There's also a place called Performance Art in Gilroy (Managed by Kevin Patten who was with Custom Alignment).

http://performanceartonline.com/index.html

Here's a thread regarding aligment from earlier this year.

4 Wheel alignment on a SPF?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have my little 90 degree gear box, but i am wondering if something is amiss. like the sub shaft is too long (binding) or too short. -- I am trying to find my other 90 degree box i bought a while ago....

will go see CA in MV!

next step is to make sure that AAA has me correctly insured so I have something to put in my glove box!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

I remember the cable I received originally bound too...so i ground it downabout 1/2 inch. But it ended up snapping. I bought a cable from NAPA based upon another members recommendation...and no problems since. Message me if you would like the part number. The bonus was that it is shorter too ...so less excess cable.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1474: 482 CI stroked tunnel port 427 with dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I also used CA in Mountain View for my SPF. I had to wait about a week before they could fit me in. They have lots of experience with Cobras. Don't forget to bring the checkbook...and be prepared to spend some $$$$$$$.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Curios as to what is so special about the alignement. I have had two BDR's done and the SPF has more adjustments ability than the BDR making it that much easier to get it right. Any decent shop should not have any issues. I paid $59.00 both times and they got it perfect. The computer does the work, tech looks at the screen and adjust. There is no bending or shimming as in older vehicles. Sit there and watch them do it just take the alignment specs with you, they will give you a print out when they are done.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Madmax,

I'm not familiar with the alignment on an SPF or BDR but it maybe an issue of a front end alignment only vs a 4 wheel alignment. I have an ERA with the custom rear end that required a 4 wheel alignment. I had it aligned at a shop in Pleasanton and they charged me an hourly rate. They ended up charging me $150 and they charged my buddy with a CSX $200. Both cars were done on the same day. The price seemed like a bargain to me since they had 2 guys working on mine for 2 hrs straight and 2 guys working on the CSX for about 3 hours straight.

Chris
Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf #1723 427w
Not Ranked     

When CA did mine I had them also corner balance it. Adjusted shocks for ride height and had put Eibach springs on. they did a GREAT job. What a difference!

Greg
Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SPF and BDR both require 4 wheel alignment.