LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2914 Sunset / Titanium
Not Ranked     
Default SPF engine choices

Hi all,

Has anyone had any dealings &/or opinions with Performance Engineering Engines. They are in Ohio and have a decent looking crate motor 383 windsor putting out 415/400 hp/tq. They have decent pricing with a full "kit." Let me know if anyone has an opinion. Car is on the boat and will be here soon. I need to make up my mind very soon.

Andrei
Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Andrei,

Congrats on the purchase of your SPF! You may want to post your question in the Small Block forum. Performance Engineering has built and installed a lot of motors in SPFs, and seems to have a good reputation. You might want to take a look at Keith Craft as well.

BTW - Who did you order your SPF from and are you doing the install?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the SPF purchase. Good choice; you will be pleased if you choose the right engine and installer. The most important factor right now is, where do you live? Pick and engine builder close by and go with an experienced installer. Performance Engineering is a good operation. He's a racer and understands how to build a good car. Badger
Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance - Mild 351
Not Ranked     

Eric built and installed the small block for our new SPF - he and his daughter were professional and very interested in service. Highly recommend them. Follow-up information came quickly and accurately.
He will built exactly what you want, with zero worries.

Wendy and Doug Cords
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

I'd have to second what Badger says about proximity to you. You will have to at some point, unless you are doing your own install..etc., locate an area person to trust with working on the car later. Now is the best time. There are plenty of GOOD engine builders around and distance doesn't play in to it...until...
Look at another thread about one of the most recognizable names in the business and issues with an all aluminum FE. He's making it right...but take a look at the down time the owner has had....that's something that is hard to put a price on. If the engine has to be removed,crated shipped back,dis-assembled, diagnosed, repaired, re-crated and re-shipped and then re-installed and set up...you are talking considerably more time than if it was a local builder. That is an advantage with a local shop. I have customers all around the country, and I strive to do the best quality work...however...we are all human. In all honesty, I have a lot of anxiety about any vehicle I do that isn't close enough for me to personally pick up or travel to. I stand behind my work, but all the above comments illustrate the added complexity IF...something should fail. Componentry can fail from no fault of the builder, and they want to see and verify WHAT was the cause, which is only reasonable if they are warranteeing it.

Last edited by Woodz428; 01-08-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: fat fingers
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Happy Birthday Woodz428!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all for the advise. I am located in the San Francisco bay area. I am planning on doing my own install. I am also worried about possible down time, but don't really know anyone in my area that does these crate motor / dyno tested set up.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Top of The Hill in Livermore and Hall Fabrication in Benicia are two experienced shops that will do a nice job. Also, the new Superformance dealer in Redwood City could do it (or refer you) too, but check with them first, since they're just getting setup. Be prepared. It's not cheap.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Someone else to look at would be Smeding in Rancho Cordova.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/index.html

For the money, you can't beat having Stephen at Full Throttle do your install. There's also a shop in Sacramento that does SPF installs (don't know the name).

So is your car coming into Reno, Redwood City, Ohio ????

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car is coming into Redwood City. I do know Stephen and his work very well. I have been dealing with Dennis at Redwood City/Reno for a while now. I am a master technician, so I don't see a problem doing an install myself. My biggest hurdle is finding the right supplier.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5extc View Post
My car is coming into Redwood City. I do know Stephen and his work very well. I have been dealing with Dennis at Redwood City/Reno for a while now. I am a master technician, so I don't see a problem doing an install myself. My biggest hurdle is finding the right supplier.
Got it. Best of luck with your engine choice and build.

BTW - What color? Don't say blue with white stripes.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think you've been given some good recommendations for local engine builders, and you've been given advice to use a local engine builder.

There are some local folks who have purchased non-locally built engines and either installed them themselves or hired someone to do so. The most prominent seem to include: Roush, CHP, FMS and Keith Craft. I'm sure there are others.

Since you are doing the installation yourself, then you do not have the issue of "downtime, waiting for the engine to be R/R'd", which occurs if one purchases a remotely built crate motor and hires someone to install it. I imagine that with a locally built motor, getting support will be easier.

The issue boils down to whether you want to deal with someone locally or remotely if you have an engine problem. Like buying product over the internet, you will probably find that buying remotely will cost less, however you will have shipping costs to deal with. Depending upon how your view your budget, maybe you can consider spending locally on an engine the cost you are saving by performing your own installation, however I'm not trying to pry into your budget...

Being a master techinician, maybe the best thing for you to do to talk to the all of the major suppliers, locally and remotely, and determine which builder is the one which you feel will give you the support you will need (I can't judge how much support you will need), so it is hard to make a specific recommendation. I can only imagine that a local builder will be more available to you to provide support. I remember when I had my SPF finished - I was in regular contact with the installer about all sorts of details, so I'm really happy that I chose a local installer.

I don't think I helped much, but to increase my post count.

Good luck,
Randy...

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 01-08-2009 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: spelling...
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,

It is not blue. I ordered Sunset, with Titanium stripes.

Andrei
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also forgot to mention Tom Lucas of FE Specialties in Sacramento, a sponsor of this site. He builds engines and does installs too.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

If you are considering other than a local shop for the engine, I would also toss in FRPP. Ford has a wide range of crate motors and I have use a couple with no issues at all. They also are good about an issue if it occurs.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Doug,

It is not blue. I ordered Sunset, with Titanium stripes.

Andrei
A real "purty" color combo.

Doug, you just insulted about 50% +/- of the Cobra audience.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Cobra View Post
Happy Birthday Woodz428!
Thanks...not sure how you know that...maybe you went to my profile.
How's Kailua, spent some of my fonder youth there. Littlest brother was born there, I'm sure it has been developed to death now, but it was just beginning then. We lived there when it became a state and also when they outlawed the "lei wagons" that the Hawaiian women had in Waikiki to make leis for all the tourist with their own flowers. Lived on both sides of the island and had to use the Pale' to get from one side to the other...we also were there when they opened the 4 lane from one side to the other. That was probably one of the first Fed programs they got after becoming a state.
First few months we lived in the Islander Hotel...probably long gone.
It was a great place to spend some of my formative years.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, Rousch 402
Not Ranked     
Default Roush

Any Roush motor, 2 year 24k mile warranty, killer R N D and they are very supportive technically and thier customer service is excellent, nice guys too.
DOWNSIDE- pretty expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for, I have a Roush 402 R very happy, n very fast. Bout 545 hp. Ryan
Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

Andrei,

You obviously have great taste (my SPF is sunset/titanium). Like BlacSnk, I have the Roush 402R and am really happy with it. As you are well aware, there are a gazillion engine/engine builders out there and with some good research, it will be difficult to go wrong. Eric at PE was my installer and he does do good work. Can't go wrong there. There are a lot of good people in this business line. AND I used to live in Hawai'i too (early 80's), worked at UH-Manoa, loved it. How's that for covering the bases?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
A real "purty" color combo.

Doug, you just insulted about 50% +/- of the Cobra audience.
Couldn't resist....

The Sunset with Titanium is a nice combo Andrei...we're starting to balance things out bit in the South Bay.