Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #633, 351w stroker, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     
Default Second Roll Bar

I live in the north bay area and wonder if anyone could recommend a shop that will do a good quality job with installing a second roll bar. I have an SPF made in 1999. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I assume that you have already spoke to the folks at Dembeste... Top of the Hill can do this work as well - they are in Livermore.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Also, Hall Fabrication & Racing in Benicia, CA.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beast "Grabber Orange"/Silver stripe w/418W 520HP full roller, T5. and: Backdraft #814 RT3B "Black Label" "Magic Black"/Sterling Grey stripe, 408W, full roller, 475HP, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Hi Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblyon1 View Post
I live in the north bay area and wonder if anyone could recommend a shop that will do a good quality job with installing a second roll bar. I have an SPF made in 1999. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
This is Don your fellow Cobra owner in the North Bay.
I had a body shop in Santa Rosa install mine and they did a very good job. cost me about $1,300 I think.
If you are interested I will try to find my receipt and their name. I think it was Santa Rosa Auto Body (?). They were on Santa Rosa Ave. about at Todd Rd.
Don
Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Ken Pike (Kens custum auto body) in Yuba City installed my second roll bar in spf 995. The drive is not that far and the work is the best..........

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Very Good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblyon1 View Post

I applaud your decision to put in a second roll bar. A poll taken last year on this forum showed that the overwhelming majority of members wanted a second roll bar, but were succumbing to the peer pressure of others in keeping their single bar. Glad to see you making the smart decision, and remember, those that are the most vocal when casting aspersions on dual roll bars are the ones that secretly want them the most.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A poll taken last year on this forum showed that the overwhelming majority of members wanted a second roll bar, but were succumbing to the peer pressure of others in keeping their single bar.
Do you have a link to that poll? I searched but couldn't find it. Similar polls on other forums yielded quite the opposite results.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Do you have a link to that poll? I searched but couldn't find it. Similar polls on other forums yielded quite the opposite results.
There was a subsequent poll that requested the first poll be suppressed. That poll was also overwhelming in its popularity.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Let me know if you need a bar made for someone to install over there.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That poll was also overwhelming in its popularity.
Ahh, it's coming back to me now. The first poll was so high-spirited in its appreciation for the dual setup that, as a result, Mr. Mustang announced that he was going to commission mickmate to have dual roll bars fabricated for his four-poster. It was at at that time that Jamo & Computerworks stepped in and suppressed the poll out of courtesy to the viewing membership. I suspect though that a careful search of the Google cache would bring it back up.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's not worth the work. I just wanted to see it for myself as I've never seen one that favored 2 bars.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's not worth the work. I just wanted to see it for myself as I've never seen one that favored 2 bars.
Here you go. As I now recall the poll was actually extended beyond the confines of just ClubCobra.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Patrick. It's clear as mud now. I actually thought that was a red and blue snake showing the different Kama Sutra positions.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Patrick. It's clear as mud now.
Don't mention it. That poll is often confused with an earlier ClubCobra poll that found a 428FE in an ERA was actually superior, both aesthetically and mechanically, to SPFs, Kirkhams, Shelbys, and even original cars themselves.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Don't mention it. That poll is often confused with an earlier ClubCobra poll that found a 428FE in an ERA was actually superior, both aesthetically and mechanically, to SPFs, Kirkhams, Shelbys, and even original cars themselves.

Was that the same poll that showed engine size was in direct contrast to penis size?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Was that the same poll that showed engine size was in direct contrast to penis size?
No, you're thinking of the Factory Five polls now.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Talking patrickt - can we still be friends? (I like your ERA...)

IMHO dual roll bars suck aesthetically - they scream "kit car!" and are the ricer wings of the Cobra world . The original reason for the single roll bar is based on the concept of racing on sunday and driving to work monday. The only time rollover protection was needed was when hauling a$$ on the track - ie: only the driver in the car - no need for passenger protection.

On the street; the idea was that, when hauling passengers (as opposed to a$$), the responsible pilot would consider pedestrian issues like the rules of the road and the safety of their significant other. Under such circumstances, a Cobra is no more likely to suddenly turn turtle than any other convertible (yeah right) and no more needs to be festooned with multiple hoops than a stock engined Civic needs the downforce of a massive rear wing.

Having said all that, I respect that there are those faced with circumstances that transcend the triviality of aesthetics.

Wifey sez "You don't care if I die!"

Track driving instructors won't ride without one.

Folks at the show 'n' shine think your early Vette looks lopsided.

So, tell opinionated people like me to stuff it and do whatever suits you best.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-18-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Old 02-18-2009, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Stuff it Buzz

Saved you the trouble

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
patrickt - can we still be friends? (I like your ERA...)
Not unless you add a caveat dealing with padded dual roll bars.

Quote:
Saved you the trouble
No, I would never write something like that.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
IMHO dual roll bars suck aesthetically
I have to agree with Buzz.

A better looking (and probably more effective option) would be a full hoop. Pretty tough as a retro-fit on most cars, but Superformance does offer it as a factory option.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it