28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     
Default BACC or Nor Cal --- ERA or SPF Set Up For 6'-4" Tall Driver ?

Anyone in the Bay Area or Nor Cal area have an ERA or SPF setup for a tall driver? Looking for a test 'sit' in a car with the tweaks for a 6'-4" tall driver ...

From what I have read, these are the common 'adjustments' in a Cobra for tall drivers ...

- Seat all the way back, with no seat rails and bolted to floor
- Seat bottom tipped slightly up in front
- Dropped foot box
- Minimal seat foam
- Any other tricks?

Through the graciousness of a some of BACC members, I have had the chance to sit in a number of Cobras. So far, though ... they have all been really tight. Knees jammed into the dash and almost peering over the windshield. I am not looking for luxurious comfort in a Cobra ... just something that is not too tight. Interesting enough, I fit better in my 88" wheelbase TR6, than I do in any of the Cobras that I have sat in so far, go figure.

At this point, I am leaning towards ERA or Superformance for a 90" wheelbase car. The other option would be something along the lines of a Backdraft at 92" or Everett-Morrison at 93" wheelbase. I have also heard that Coupes are good for tall drivers, but I prefer an open car.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

- Tim
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
- Any other tricks?
Yes, if your height is in your legs, you'll want the 15" MotoLita wheel tilted at a slightly different angle and your pedals moved back (thanks to the use of a different clutch master, which results in a slight increase in pedal pressure). This from a 6'4" ERA owner....
Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I can't remember if it's the Olthoff's or Performance Unlimited (Cobra Valley) that sells adapters that bolt under the front of the seat for additional lift (tilting the seat back), but I saw them at one of those sites. -That's supposed to be a big help.
I'm just under 6'1 and about 210, but much of my height is in my torso. I have to scooch down while driving to stay under the windsheild. I've often thought of buying the brackets to tilt the front of the seat but never pulled the trigger.
My father is 6'4 and probably 245. Don't know what his inseem is but his legs are a hell of a lot longer than mine. He's driven my SPF and didn't look all that cramped. I have a wooden steering wheel and the seat all the way back, and he fit just fine.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 01-15-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I have the stock SPF seat with no rails, bolted to the floor as far back as it will go. Tim sat in my SPF last week and he'd have to notch out the dash to fit. I'm 6' 2" and fit comfortably with just enough clearance between my knee and the dash to fit.

Tim - You should also try sitting in Dave Brown's car sometime. I think your best option for an ERA or an SPF is going to be a short racing shell and have it upholstered with a very small amount of padding.

BTW - I also went with the leather steering wheel, which I like and gives me a little more room.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Tim,

If you want to send me PM, I can talk to you about this in more detail. I am 6'3" and have a ERA. So far adjustments I have made:

1. I exchanged my 15" steering wheel for a 14"
2. I purchased a "Ken Miles" like racing seat and fabbed up my own brackets so it sit back as far as possible with a little tilt to get my back even further.
3. I run a racing windscreen b/c I got tired of trying to "duck" (read hunch over) to look through the center of the windshield. B/C I have rode motocycles forever, I find running the windscreen ALOT better on shoulders and much more enjoyable.

Kramer
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
I run a racing windscreen b/c I got tired of trying to "duck" (read hunch over) to look through the center of the windshield.
Tim, Kramer touches on a good point in his post. Everyone who is 6'3" or 6'4" is not created equal. We all have out height in different places -- and that makes a difference in how your car is set up. Foot to knee, knee to butt, butt to shoulders, arm length ... it all makes a difference.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I'm 6'6" and here are the mods I did to my SPF.
http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...919#post783919

If you can stand the looks of stretched Cobras with wb above 90" there are quite a few out there.

List of Manufacturers
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     

6'5" and I fit in my bone stock SPF just fine.
It is a late enough car that it does have the dropped foot boxes so that helps.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Tinker - 6'5" and you fit just fine....all I can say is WOW.

Tim - Go sit in a car and spend some time in it (spend some serious time beyond the excitement of just sitting in a COBRA. Once you are over the excitement level, check the pedals, distance and proximity, arm movement with shifter, and arm length to steering wheel, mirrors, top of winshield....ect. FOR ME, I dont know how anyone sits in a regular Cobra that is over 6'2". FOR ME...even if i sit on the floor the windshield bar is still a problem (the top trim). Personally, I wish I could find a way to sink my seat below the seat pan but the frame won't let me to that.

Good luck...again, eveyone is different so PM me if you want more detail.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Tim,
I'll be crawling around under 2108 tonight to bolt the seats back in. I'll take a look around at what might obscure dropping the floor pan (i.e. a "butt bucket"?). You might also consider making a custom dashboard that divets up in the driver's side, or just make it a little shorter all the way across. You might even be able to pitch it forward to get it out of the way. Instead of a "Gurney bubble" it's be a "Brown divot".

SB-100... ...check!
TOP... ...check!
insurance... ...check!
balls... ...check!

FIRE IN THE HOLE!
DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Tim,
I'll be crawling around under 2108 tonight to bolt the seats back in. I'll take a look around at what might obscure dropping the floor pan (i.e. a "butt bucket"?). You might also consider making a custom dashboard that divets up in the driver's side, or just make it a little shorter all the way across. You might even be able to pitch it forward to get it out of the way. Instead of a "Gurney bubble" it's be a "Brown divot".

SB-100... ...check!
TOP... ...check!
insurance... ...check!
balls... ...check!

FIRE IN THE HOLE!
DD
Watch out Scotts Valley.....it's a fully legal driver! Congrats Doug!

BTW - The "Brown Divot"....destined to be a classic mod.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To All ... thanks for the great information and suggestions

The two cars I have had the most 'test sit time' are Dangerous Doug's ERA FIA and Got the Bug Doug's SPF (thanks guys!)

patrickt ... for me in both the ERA and SPF, the left leg reach to the clutch is OK. It's my right knee into the dash that's most of the problem on both cars. Doug's ERA even has the flat bottom dash. You are right about height and where those differences occur.

TerrysSPF ... tilting the seat seems to be a very common theme and makes a lot of sense.

Doug (Got the Bug) ... The dash in your car did seem to be most of the problem for me ... what diameter is your steering wheel?

Kramer ... I'll send a PM ... would like to hear more about the racing seats. I'll stick with the full windscreen, not that adventuresome I agree on the 'test seat time', it takes a while to get settled and figure things out.

Warren ... great link to your SPF and the 'fixes' ... wish I was a bit closer and I would come over for a 'test sit'! Nothing against the longer wheel base cars ... but at this point, I would really like to see if I can stick with ERA or SPF. They are an option for sure.

Tinker51 ... Looks like we are not to far from each other ... will send a PM ... very interested in seeing the dropped foot box if possible.

Doug (the Dangerous one) ... I have been thinking of divots as well ... the street 289 has a 'dropped' dash, maybe a 'raised' dash is the way to go ... ? Any room for a dropped foot box on the ERA? And Doug ... have FUN driving your car, crank up them pipes!

-----------------

Thanks guys !

- Tim
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
To All ... thanks for the great information and suggestions

The two cars I have had the most 'test sit time' are Dangerous Doug's ERA FIA and Got the Bug Doug's SPF (thanks guys!)

patrickt ... for me in both the ERA and SPF, the left leg reach to the clutch is OK. It's my right knee into the dash that's most of the problem on both cars. Doug's ERA even has the flat bottom dash. You are right about height and where those differences occur.

TerrysSPF ... tilting the seat seems to be a very common theme and makes a lot of sense.

Doug (Got the Bug) ... The dash in your car did seem to be most of the problem for me ... what diameter is your steering wheel?

Kramer ... I'll send a PM ... would like to hear more about the racing seats. I'll stick with the full windscreen, not that adventuresome I agree on the 'test seat time', it takes a while to get settled and figure things out.

Warren ... great link to your SPF and the 'fixes' ... wish I was a bit closer and I would come over for a 'test sit'! Nothing against the longer wheel base cars ... but at this point, I would really like to see if I can stick with ERA or SPF. They are an option for sure.

Tinker51 ... Looks like we are not to far from each other ... will send a PM ... very interested in seeing the dropped foot box if possible.

Doug (the Dangerous one) ... I have been thinking of divots as well ... the street 289 has a 'dropped' dash, maybe a 'raised' dash is the way to go ... ? Any room for a dropped foot box on the ERA? And Doug ... have FUN driving your car, crank up them pipes!

-----------------

Thanks guys !

- Tim
Tim,

The leather steering wheel is about 14". I'm not sure if the standard wood wheel is 15" or 16".

Have you sat in Dangerous Doug's car with the seat completely removed? That might be a good starting point and could give you an idea of the max seat frame/thickness that might work for you.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Tim,

The leather steering wheel is about 14". I'm not sure if the standard wood wheel is 15" or 16".

Have you sat in Dangerous Doug's car with the seat completely removed? That might be a good starting point and could give you an idea of the max seat frame/thickness that might work for you.
Doug,

That was actually the plan last Saturday ... but we had spent so much time at Canepa, looking at all of those great cars, that we ran out of time. Probably when Doug gets ready to prep his ERA for paint, would be the next opportunity. With no seat at all, I will probably fit just fine ... think I could get away with a seat belts and a thin foam pad ???

- Tim
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     
Angry offended

tim, i am offended!......................................... .....you didn't ask to try sitting in my car
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff ... my apologies !!!

- Tim
Old 01-16-2009, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Doug -- what are you using for seat mounts >? --

Tim - you are welcome to sit in 2734' as I have also bolted them to the floor but Bob (one of our techs) made a set of front seat mounts that "Tilt" the seat back.

--Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Tim,
Looked under the 289FIA again last night, and the frame rail and some cross bracing would impede dropping the the floor pan under the seat.
I think a custom dash would probably be the way to go. When I get ready for paint, the seats and dash will both have to come out. I'll have you up and we can mock something up with cardboard.
Cheers,
Doug

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 01-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post

--Steve
Stephen in Reno modified and re-intalled the seat. I haven't had to remove it, so don't know what was done. At the time, it was referred to as "the big man" seat option. Not sure if this is something that SPF sells.

Luckily, my "brother" Daryl Lang had the seat mod done when he ordered his car and I had a chance to sit in his car to test it out before I ordered my car.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post

Tim - you are welcome to sit in 2734' as I have also bolted them to the floor but Bob (one of our techs) made a set of front seat mounts that "Tilt" the seat back.

--Steve
Steve,

Next time we get together, I'll take you up on the offer, thanks!

- Tim