14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1474: 482 CI stroked tunnel port 427 with dual quads.
Not Ranked     
Default Ever toss your Cobra keys to a valet?

Handing over your Cobra keys might make you cringe if you've ever seen the movie "Ferris Buellers Day Off"...... I can't forget the moment the Ferrari got into the hands of the valet guys for a very spirited joy drive.

I've never done it, but I did pull into a hotel entrance once to pick up someone and the valet's eyes looked like saucers!

Well, if I ever get into that situation, I think I would politely ask if they would allow me to park the car myself and tip the valet anyway. Depending on the hotel, I'm sure some valets have parked everything from Lambos to Ferraris without the owners even blinking an eye. I might come across as a jerk, but I can't afford to redo the car or deal with an insurance fiasco is something truly did happen to the car.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Hey Gene,

Here's a story that I've enjoyed telling many times:

A couple of summers ago, my co-pilot and I went on a 10 day road trip. One stop was a the Ahwanee (sp?) hotel in Yosemite. It was just starting to drizzle as I pulled under the portoco (sp?). The valet approached, "Checking in?". "Yes, however, I can leave my car under the portoco until the rain stops? Then I'll self-park it over there and cover it for the night", I asked. "Sure, let me check with my boss. Why don't I help you unload your bags? Then you go and check-in, and have a drink, and come back in a few hours", he said. "Great. Thanks...", I replied and gave him a healthy tip.

A few hours later, we returned to the portoco and approached the valet. He said, "My boss loves your car. She said that you can leave here under the portoco for your entire stay. I'll need the keys in case of fire, but I won't touch it unless there's an emergency." "Great! Thanks!", I replied and gave him another healthy tip.

Every time we came out to go for a drive, the valet told us stories of how people/guests gazed and admired and photographed our Cobra while it was parked under the portoco, and every time, I thanked him for keeping an eye on the car (and gave him another tip).

Have Fun,
Randy...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

polite would not be a part of it. if a valet was all saucer eyed walking toward my car i would state. "your dreaming pal tell me where you want it"

i think the almost straight thru mufflers and the nasty lope at idle would scare him off anyway. when i start mine in a crowd they back off at least 15 feet. when your ribs vibrate to the point that its tickling you it makes you think twice.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I pulled into the Hotel Del in Coronado (near San Diego) and I asked the valet if I could park my own car. They actually made a spot for me right in front of the main entrance to the hotel. When I came out there were tourist taking pics next to the car. No way would I ever let a valet drive the car.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I honestly don't know what I would do, I did once, years ago when I was driving long haul and lucky to be home once a month, flew my wife into Vegas, well she was not my wife then, but I dropped the trailer and picked her up and we went to the MGM Grand, pulled up in the front, we got out I tossed the keys to the Valet tipped him and went inside and said have fun!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Ritz Carlton on the beach in SoCal. Valet wanted to park it, I said no. He had me put it right in front of the hotel with all the Bentleys, Farraris etc. Same story as above. Lots of folks taking pictures.

Here's a tip: If you dare to turn it over, always check your odometer. A friend of mine turned over his Porsche Turbo at the Century Plaza in LA and had 15 extra miles on it when he picked it up!!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     
Default could not find a spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
A friend of mine turned over his Porsche Turbo at the Century Plaza in LA and had 15 extra miles on it when he picked it up!!

Well, you know, they could not find a parking spot.

Terry
Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

similar thing at a hotel in Long Beach... Guys said just pull it into the underground parking and put it in the first spot.... I set off about 20 alarms pulling in and again when pulling out.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

I pulled up for valet and they told me to park it myself LOL Another time I pulled up and the valet said "that **** will burn up my ****" whatever that means? LOL
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
similar thing at a hotel in Long Beach... Guys said just pull it into the underground parking and put it in the first spot.... I set off about 20 alarms pulling in and again when pulling out.
I did this at the underground parking at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn about 10 years ago. I was staying there as it was close to Sear's Point (sorta), and I set off a bunch of alarms at 7AM when I left for the track
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Mine doesn't have keys, but I would only let the valet at the Olympic Club push the button and park the car.

Now that I live in South Florida, when I take it to a restaurant or club the valets tell me to park it myself, right in front.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Valet story. When I was a lot younger I had a friend who valeted cars at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills. I was there one night awaiting a ride home from him when he got off work so I hung out for an hour or so. It didn't seem like such a big deal then but now I am not so sure. He would drive the cars hard through the underground parking garage, tires squeeling, skidding by giant concrete pillars and other expensive cars. The sound systems tested to their max levels. Rifling through the glove box and center consols looking for money or drugs or whatever. Then returning the cars to their owners like nothing and get tipped. When valeting my car anywhere I always ask for the name of the attendant who takes my car. I want some form of accountability. I would insist to park my own Cobra though. A rental car I could care less.

John
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
Valet story. When I was a lot younger I had a friend who valeted cars at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills. I was there one night awaiting a ride home from him when he got off work so I hung out for an hour or so. It didn't seem like such a big deal then but now I am not so sure. He would drive the cars hard through the underground parking garage, tires squeeling, skidding by giant concrete pillars and other expensive cars. The sound systems tested to their max levels. Rifling through the glove box and center consols looking for money or drugs or whatever. Then returning the cars to their owners like nothing and get tipped. When valeting my car anywhere I always ask for the name of the attendant who takes my car. I want some form of accountability. I would insist to park my own Cobra though. A rental car I could care less.

John
I am not sure of all the facts, but sometime in late 1966 or early 1967 Ken Bender and his father were in LA and I believe they were staying at the Beverly Hilton. The valet parking kid took his 1966 Cobra on a wild ride in the basement, hit a cement pillar and pretty much tore one side of the car off. The Hotel took care of all the repair and transportation including replacing both left and right front and rear suspensions.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Sounds like there could be a common thread here?..................

Quote:
It didn't seem like such a big deal then but now I am not so sure. He would drive the cars hard through the underground parking garage, tires squeeling, skidding by giant concrete pillars and other expensive cars. The sound systems tested to their max levels. Rifling through the glove box and center consols looking for money or drugs or whatever. Then returning the cars to their owners like nothing and get tipped
You gotta be kidding, no big deal???

What say Ma?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 06-15-2009 at 08:23 PM..
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

What can I say Rick? I have grown up a lot since then? From what I understood this was a routin night at the job for these guys. That was a long time ago and believe me I was a little more than shocked that they could do that and get away with it.

Cobra #3170, This was probably late '77-78. Just goes to show you not much has changed. Kids and expensive cars they don't own should not be trusted. Even if they do wear a tuxedo.

The problem I see is anyone who takes a joy ride, especially in a car like a cobra, ferrari, porsche, lambo or even a corvette is gonna want to test it. It just spells trouble in so many different ways.

Rick, I was no angel back then but far from an irresponsible hoodlum. Give me the benefit of the doubt. I'm ok now, really.

John
Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None Yet
Not Ranked     

As a teenager in the late sixties I worked in a multi level parking lot. There was no valet parking, but the way the parking was set up, if you blocked in another car you were supposed to leave your car keys in the car. So, we did have to move cars around quite a bit. Because it was near downtown most of the cars were plane janes. There were a few hot cars in there like the Cuda, GTO, Mustangs and I remember one Triumph with the large engine. That car had some power! I have to say that I was very respectful of the other people's cars, even at that young age. We had one individual though that enjoyed taking joy rides through the different levels of the parking lot. One day on one of his rides he lost it and crashed the car into the wall. Well, I have been carrying those memories with me all my life and have a thing about having someone park my cars. It's taken me 40 years to get over it and now if I have no option, will let them park me, depending on what I'm driving. I have been known to go to some other establishment because of the parking.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK1 EFI 302 tremec 5 speed 355 gears
Not Ranked     
Default Happened just last weekend!

6 of us pulled into Gladstones in Malibu Ca coming from a run and the 4 kids lit up like it was XMAS! Well after the first 4 said no thanks they quit asking and half an hour later another 9 or so showed up and out of the lot not 1 was parked by the Valet's.

No offense to the Valets but most Kit Cobras are about as different and individual as any car can be and all it takes is a sticky clutch and presto your on the evening news for mayhem!