Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Talking

Ernie! Ernie!... You disappoint me. You stick in that word "Only". That suggests it is inferior and meager in description.
I'm being a realist. It's fiberglass and I'm reasonably sure it is a replica.. I didn't put in Ford power and I'm possibly crossing some ambiguous line. Go figure.
Now you know as well as I that true hotrodders from my generation would change motors quicker than a NASCAR team on a tire change,if it would win a race. Shelby did it and a slough of others. We can talk about old yeller, Allard and a bunch of others. So did they cross a line. Or just maybe they were PIONEERS and saw potential in doing the different.
I don't care for a lot of those things you mention like the neon and such but ,Hey, if it trip your trigger, more power to you. I wouldn't do it.
Come on Ernie, even Carroll wanted to put a Chevy heart in there on the first try..
Old 05-21-2010, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Ruins it for me too.

Sorry.

But, I never would have said anything out loud!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Jim, You just did.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Jim, You just did.
Yep. His mother would be ashamed of him.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Jim, You just did.
Can other people read this too?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

No need to be sorry. I respect anyone to do as they wish with
their Replica. It may not be what others like but that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. I personally don't give a hoot what's under the hood. I like looking at the engineering and the neat little ideas that folks incorporate in their replicas.

Hersh
Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebuilt, .060 over 428 FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     

If I were you, I'd just get used to it....
Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

No problem, get used to it I "Like It". It's all good.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfangs View Post
Personally, I think the dual roll bars "earns back" any points you lost by putting in the GM mill.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

While I personally would not want a GM power plant I don't have NEAR the problem with that as I do some of the monstrosities masquerading as replica Cobras. Now some, like that recent thread about the Japanese replica Cobra built on a small car chassis. Hey, kind of cute, interesting little car, I think they got it mostly right!! It's not bad, it's just different. Some replicas I've seen are really bad, there just plain ugly.

Now come on, be a realist, you KNOW that YOU have a "line" you wouldn't cross. That line varies for every type of car, hot rod, replica Cobra, GT-40 or whatever. Sometimes, folks cross that line and dam, you just gotta chuckle.

Shelby wasn't all wrong when he was talking about the replica market and himself wanting to build a better, nicer edition. He has a point...

Old Yeller, Allard, others were in fact "pioneers". Very few to one of a kind, thats in the true hot rod spirit.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-21-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

You Got 'er right there Ernie. I do agree to those points. Well said. I refused to put any kind of emblem on my replica that said Shelby or Cobra. That was the line for me. Never had and never will. It's a Midstates when asked.

It's better to be different than be a Borg.

Hersh

Pat, I'm still laugh'n about the real horsepower crack.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I like your car, go figure, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfangs View Post
Do you have any pics of your engine bay. I really havent had anybody say anything to me about my bbc, but I am sure its happened behind my back. I think most hot rodders out there can appreciate a well built car, its the cobra purists out there that wont like it, which I totally understand.I am more of a old school hot rod guy myself.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There was a thread not long ago asking ERA to come up with some emblems so those of us who are proud of the make of our replica. I prefer to run either AC emblems or ERA emblems if they become available.

When folks ask the inevitable "is it real" question I don't hesitate to say it's a replica. A well done Cobra "hot rod" speaks for itself and can stand on it's own.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

BBfangs:
Don't let a total stranger decide what kind of mood you should be in. Someone like that is not worth the angst they usually create....or worth the subsequent time spent thinking about what they said and what your best come-back should have been.
(Of course I'm not above replying "........You must of had a really bad childhood with no good role models......I feel really bad for you....and even worse for your son."
Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree and it didn't bother me. I was dissappointed that he couldn't see the engineering of it all but I guess people that don't have the knowledge don't understand it. I understand for the purists also and that is cool. I can appreciate any car that is all original (or built to original specs), I have one, but as other have said hot rodders or gear heads incorporate different ideas into their rides and not everyone will like it but who cares.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Hey, I have a friend that is a Cast in Stone Ford Lover, he has 56 ford pick up that is really nice. He does although have this bad habit of commenting on any car that has a different motor in it other than what came in it. He is a jerk, and continues to demonstrate his stupidity and disregard for a great build and this results in his poor stature amoung other people, especilaly car folks.

I too think Cobra should have Ford motors...but big deal the chevy is an awesome choice for any "rod or replica".

Bill
Old 05-22-2010, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

BBfangs.....some people just cant appreciate the time and effort that goes into building a car from scratch.....they have never done it.....their loss of cource....
bbc in a Cobra is not my thing but "i get it"......
24's on an Impala thats 4 foot off the ground not my thing but "i get it"( well maybe i dont get that one) a real car guy "GETS IT" a real jerk dosent........
my car has AC emblems front and rear and says powered by ford on the valve covers
and NO mines not a Cobra "ITS A REPLICA OF A COBRA".....
Old 05-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

If the guy had any social skills, he would have said "nice car" and then shut up....he is obviously a jerk....not for feeling the way he does, but for saying it aloud.

I am always amazed at how many people at car shows have no idea what they are looking at under the hood and, these are grown men....I just can't understand how a grown man will take a son to a car show and not even try to understand and point out to the kid the skill, creativity and hard work that goes into one of these cars....guess they are just looking at paint color and neon lights. A car show is a perfect place for a father/son bonding and all the fun conversation about the "neat cars". It is a sad commentary on society today.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
...24's on an Impala thats 4 foot off the ground...
Okay, I can understand a BBC in a Cobra replica, but the 24's on the Impala? No. I really don't get it---unless they are trying to be funny...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ratsnst1, I posted a few pics in my gallery of my engine, nothing special but I like it. I just put in the msd system and need to work out some issues. I made the mistake of getting the programmable MSD 6AL-2, I wanted the Digital 6, long story really buyer error, oh well. I am hoping to change out the valve covers soon.