LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
but I don't think those who live in glass houses should throw bricks.
How about shoot BBs? I dislike chebbies in T-bucket replicas to, does that count?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
How about shoot BBs? I dislike chebbies in T-bucket replicas to, does that count?
With that avatar, you can say anything you want.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
...my GF has been asking about a roll bar for her side, I reckon I'll be single again shortly.
I'd offer to buy her a helmet. If she doesn't accept...... well, she's just being difficult.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats brilliant!!! I'll let her wear my full face motorcycle helmet next time were out.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Thats brilliant!!! I'll let her wear my full face motorcycle helmet next time were out.
I'd just figure you were riding with the Stig.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
then I have to say that "dual roll bar" Cobras may have to follow them down into the same dunghole.
Who would commit such sacrilege???

E
Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Wow guys ... quite a thread!

Well, I don't have any Cobra stories yet ( my ERA is still under construction ) but I do have an observation.

I think many on this forum would agree, one of the greatest car collectors of all time was Bill Harrah. For any of you that went through his collection (as I did in the early '70's) before it was broken up, can attest to the amazing quality and quantity of the cars ... all of them as best I know were 'stock' and operational. Evidently Harrah was a stickler for having each car correct.

Some of the collection still exists at the National Automobile Museum and what really caught my eye when I visited a few years ago was one of Harrah's personal cars, the 1977 Jerrari Wagoneer. He also had a Lincoln with a Chrysler motor in it, if I recall correctly.

So here is someone that clearly knows cars, can have pretty much any car in the world and chooses to have some one of a kind cars. In a similar fashion, Jay Leno certainly knows automobiles too and he has a few 'different' cars as well (the Leno Toronado for example), along with his 'correct' cars.

What's the point ... people like what they like, and sometimes the more knowledgeable the person, the more unusual the car.

Just my .02
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Wow guys ... quite a thread!

Well, I don't have any Cobra stories yet ( my ERA is still under construction ) but I do have an observation.

I think many on this forum would agree, one of the greatest car collectors of all time was Bill Harrah. For any of you that went through his collection (as I did in the early '70's) before it was broken up, can attest to the amazing quality and quantity of the cars ... all of them as best I know were 'stock' and operational. Evidently Harrah was a stickler for having each car correct.

Some of the collection still exists at the National Automobile Museum and what really caught my eye when I visited a few years ago was one of Harrah's personal cars, the 1977 Jerrari Wagoneer. He also had a Lincoln with a Chrysler motor in it, if I recall correctly.

I went through that collection many times when I would be working over in that area. Even got to know the machinists that worked on the cars and they let me sit in the GT-40 that won Le Mans in 1966. He had started collecting World War 11 fighters and such also. One he had just gotten still had grease and gunpowder on it from the firing of the machine guns and a couple of holes in it where a German fighter had shot at it. That was the greatest collection ever I think and I wish Nevada had stepped in and taken it over to keep it intact. I even rode the old two decker busses they ran downtown that had came from England. That was a great place to spend a day or two when you were there.

Ron

So here is someone that clearly knows cars, can have pretty much any car in the world and chooses to have some one of a kind cars. In a similar fashion, Jay Leno certainly knows automobiles too and he has a few 'different' cars as well (the Leno Toronado for example), along with his 'correct' cars.

What's the point ... people like what they like, and sometimes the more knowledgeable the person, the more unusual the car.

Just my .02
That was a great collection and I spent many days there when I would be working in that area. I got to know the machinists that worked on the cars and they even let me sit in the GT-40 that won at Le Mans in 1966. But they refused to let me drive it in the parking lot. Never could understand that. HA!!

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

Peter Brock just put a LS7 in his Daytona Coupe, so consider yourself to be in rare company.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Man, this thread took a hard left turn about three or four pages ago.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I still say the guy that "walked off in disgust" is a weenie and is psychologically damaging his child. Poor kid. When he gets older and his friends start saying things like, "Your dad's a dick." he'll have to say, "Yeah. I know..."

Poor kid.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
I still say the guy that "walked off in disgust" is a weenie and is psychologically damaging his child. Poor kid. When he gets older and his friends start saying things like, "Your dad's a dick." he'll have to say, "Yeah. I know..."

Poor kid.

DD
Actually, that's how some people get to be pricks, they have a role model at home.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     
Talking Just My 2 Cents

Name:  IMG_0646.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  38.4 KB
This was in the middle of my resto. I like it and my usual response is -- "I had to make it go fast somehow"-- Really i wouldn't have a problem with a supercharged V6 or a HEMI -- hey even a V10. I like the FE's but when i bought mine it had a 396 BBC and i got a good deal on it. If anyone want's to trade me a SPF or Kirkham even -- I'm in.:
Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Several years ago I was at a car show with my brother and came across a Cobra. As we're checking it out, my brother says (within ear-shot of the Cobra owner), "I'll bet you a hundred dollars that has a Chevy engine in it." in a tone that implied that there was something wrong with that. I was horrified.

My reply? "Yeah, so what? It's still a Cobra."

What makes these cars cool to the general public is the exotic shape, the sound, the acceleration and the power to weight ratio. John Q Public doesn't know a Chevy from a SB Ford to an FE. Most people can only aspire to drive a car as cool as a Cobra, regardless the powerplant and manufacturer (genuine, real, or otherwise). Fortunately, rare is the rude idiot. Most people are mesmerized by these things as they sit quietly in a parking lot with the hood down.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure anyone will ever see mine parked as I don't plan on ever showing it. They'll only get a quick glimpse of a middle aged fool grinning like an ape as I blast by. In the event someone ever does ask me if it's authentic I'll probably lie and say yes.Then introduce myself as the grandson of Shelby himself. He** if I'm gonna lie I might as well spread it thick. LOL
Old 06-01-2010, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I got two pages into this before I noticed that you're talking about an aluminum Donovan big block. That changes things entirely. You really should get it out of the car immediately...

...and sell it to me!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Hey 67JET, look out! Someone took a dump in you engine compartment!

Steve
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

750 hp - yes an aluminnum one, not your ordinary block . Sorry not for sale, although not to many would want it from the responses. But I do..... I'm getting it dynoed tomorrow to see if it came out the way it should have.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

As an aside, I attended a car show last year and saw a beautiful, fully restored and customized 57 Chevy.

As I approached, I noticed it had a Chrysler Hemi engine.

Kinda ruined it for me.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is this a great country or what! We can marry someone from a differant race or culture or even our same gender. We can put modern appliances in a centuries old home. We can even put London Bridge in Arizona, but what about cross-manufactures? I guess I agree with keeping it original if that is the way you are presenting it. I can't stand it when I'm told that Boss 429 motor came standard in that Maverick. But if you are calling it a kit car and not an original I do not have a problem with a Chevy motor in a Ford or any other manufacture. If you love your car and think enough of it to show it, I love it too! God bless America and the freedon of choice.