Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2001, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to MoonDog
Not Ranked     
Question Tuned Port Injection

Curently on my SBC (early) I am running a Rochester Carby with an Edelbrock Perfromer Manifold. Engine is mild street and currently is about 330HP.
I am thinking of installing a Tuned Port Injection system with an aftermarket ECM system.

Apart from looks...what benefits in performance etc could I expect?....and what should I look for in a system and any problems that I may encounter.

Here in Australia I can obtain a new system w/o ECM for about $A650.

Your help and comments appreciated.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey Moondog,
Go over to the Edelbrock sight and check out their Pro-flo injection unit. It comes with everything you need to make the swap. It even has the computor module so you can infinitly tune it. It's easy to use too. I have this unit on my SBC and it's the best thing I ever did for this motor. The neat thing about it is that you get the fuel pump , all the hoses, the wire loom and all the electronic too. It took me about 6 hours to put it on. Also any 4 barrel air cleaner will work on it too. The injectors are in the manifold not the throttle boby like some after market stuff. My performance increased considerably. For under 2K it's the biggest bang for the buck. You will spend that much just for the accesories for the TPI. My 34 ford has the TPI and there is no comparison. I can't adjust the TPI because the program to do so costs over $300 . Then you have to have a lap top too.
It's worth a look. I think you will like it.

Hersh
Old 11-21-2001, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks Snake

I checked out the Australian supplier for the Edelbrock Pro Flo 3503 system and they quoted me around $4,500 to $5,500(Aust $) for a complete system.....

Nearly put a supercharger on for that....

How much are these units selling for in the US?.....maybe cheaper to buy one direct from the US....get a friendly Cobra owner to send me one?.....

Snake, I appreciate your advice..
Old 11-22-2001, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey Moondog,
I checked the price over here and it is $2000. U.S. Dollars and that comes to $3825. Australian Dollars. I would imagine that the box would weigh about 35 Lbs so shipping shouldn't be a problem.
I think it would cost you about $120. Australian for shipping.

Hersh
Old 11-22-2001, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks BT...

I will look into it.....ask my wife for another Xmas present.....

But it may wait until later...firstly I think I'll stroke it to a 383. That should be good for a few extra HP's..

cheers from downunder.....
Old 11-26-2001, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to AustinFairway
Not Ranked     

Moondog,

I've got a 383 storker with the Edelbrock EFI. I put out 386hp at the rear wheels with 408 lbs of torque.

I think you'll like the setup when you get done.

I know the kit comes with a fuel pump, but I put on a Mallory which is a little larger. You need 50psi to drive the EFI.