LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2002, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Post GENlll SNAKE DOWNUNDER

G'DAY GUYS,

A good friend of mine Mike Moore has designed and built what he calls the X7 ROADSTER see the attached link. The soon to be modified X7 chassis will accept a locally produced cobra body. Mike is no stranger to cobras having owned and built 2 locally produced replicas.The X7's performance was so good Mike decided a COBRA was the next step!!!!!

www.x7cars.com

Regards Paul........OZCOBRA

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 06-19-2002 at 03:44 AM..
Old 08-03-2002, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Paul, do you have any digital photos of Mike's old matte black Cobra with the "FAAAST" plates? That was a cool car! I've yet to see a lower car, and I've never seen a guy rebuild an independent rear end in a hotel room overnight either. Come to think of it, he sure knows how to drink too!!!

The life of a party, and I've only ever met him once - West Wyalong a few years back. An unforgetable weekend.....
Old 08-05-2002, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Craig i was the bunny with him that weekend,the body you refer to ended up in every dumpmaster from West Wyalong to Melbourne.Certainly the biggest high i've ever had painting the body with 20 pressure paks of matt black in a single car garage the night before we left,when that body finally let fly the only thing left securing it to the car were the 2 ocky straps i put on before the run.
I had also taken the car for a spin through town only to be pulled up by the local copper, his questions were as follows;

1. "so this is Satans toy, hey??"
YES OFFICER
2."Do you know what speed you were doing?"
NO!!I DON'T HAVE A SPEEDO
3."The car is registered ??????"
AHHH YEAHHHSSSSS"....."BUT NOT TO ME"
4." Let's see what we have here-
NO mirrors of any kind,no speedo, a bit to low for my liking,i can see the road ,engine and diff from within the cockpit, AND THAT FUEL WHAT IS IT!!!!!AND A TAD LOUD I COULD HEAR YOU FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN!! Now we give you guys a good run up here you be a good boy and be on your way just keep an eye on your tacho to gauge your speed.

Back to your initial question no i haven't got any Digital pics but i will chase up some pics and scan them and drinking is still a passion we both miss the cellar at the Charles Sturt Motor Inn.

ATB Paul
Old 08-05-2002, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Satans Toy!!!!! That body sure came unstuck on the runway..... A spectacular car, certainly the highlight of the weekend for me. Others moaned about it's obvious CAMS unsuitability, but what the hell - it was always going to be spectacular. I loved how the interior would fill up with tyre smoke, and just seep out of the car for the next 100 metres after a burnout!
Old 08-05-2002, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Craig, The chassis is now in the UK with a Rover V8, SATAN'S heart compliments of C.O.M.E Racing is being transplanted into a cobra owned by a guy in STH AUST.
As for it's worthyness to run it passed all scrutineering better than 50% of the so called street legal cars as Mike pointed out the 1 car lost all steering coming into town just after the driver had slowed down after a stint at 140km/h,the other lost a wheel and numerous cars had mechanical and structual defects which had to be rectified before the days events as were SATANS TOY passed all of the above.
ATB Paul
Old 08-05-2002, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chassis to the UK??? That seems like a long way to send a chassis, particularly when they already seem so cheap over there!

I remember Mike saying that he'd spent a lot of time playing with Susprog 3D in building that chassis. Did he ever get a chance to take it on a track? I didn't hear a single thing about that car after WW....

Please don't think that I had a problem with him running the car - far from it! I was making all the noise I could to get it on the track when they were all having a whinge about it.

Remember the big block XY that ran the highest speed of the day out on the runway? That was me!!! Actually, I tell a lie - that was my car, but the officials wouldn't let me drive it because I didn't have the correct racing license. The craziness of it all is that I gave the keys to another Qld guy who had never driven the car before, then we took it out onto the highway for a 150mph shakedown pass, to get him accustomed to it - then he competed in it. Don't you think it would have been safer if the owner (with obviously more experience in the car) had just driven it in the first place???
Old 08-05-2002, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

yeah some crazy poms idea!!!the car did some track time at Calder until the tyres shredded themselves an it sat in the GARAGE due to a cobra divorce!!!!! until his current car the X7 Roadster, which PETER BROCK drove last week and gave a definite thumbs up said he was really impressed with the cars setup.
I heard it was quite an expensive trip to WW..... $800 Fuel ???
I'm currently reliving the that awesome sound of the big block roaring down the runway,Craig it sounded strong it was certainly the talking point with all the VICs both at WW and club events down here. Have you still got it??
And by those latest dyno numbers ,you wouldn't be the type to build something OVER THE TOP would you
PAUL
P.S I believe we actually heard the shake down drive!!!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you decided on a gearbox yet Paul?

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 08-05-2002, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

HOLINGER 5Spd !!!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How are the wheels ?What has to be done in the way of hubs?Doug was saying it could be$$$?
Old 08-05-2002, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul, it sure was an expensive drive down - but worth it! We had a nice little convoy coming home near Warwick. Two Cobras and myself at around 200kmh, over a crest and coming the other way was a Police car with a side mounted radar..... He hit the brakes but when he saw that we weren't slowing, he just kept driving!!!

The rest of the Cobras eventually caught up!

I've still got the old Fairmont. Come to think of it, I don't think I've done a single bit of maintenance to that car since WW. It just keeps going...

I haven't heard ANY publicity about Mike's new cars.... When's he going to get some magazines involved? Zoom magazine would likely be interested, especially since it has a late model performance motor in there.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The X7 was in the HERALD SUN last Saturday and Street Machine are apparently going to do an article.
Just a note on the 5.7 MONARO ,my employer just purchased the HSV GTS 300 KW so claimed , he put it on the company dyno and guess what 240Kw (NOT A HAPPY CHAP)so back to the dealer it went and i don't want it back until it's 300Kw , his mate also bought one it only did 245, we build the dynos. (Dynamic Test Systems)
He was also told he should drive the car for 10,000klm before that true figure would be achieved!! What a joke!!!!!!