28 29 30        
Old 10-12-2003, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     
Default Back of the BUS!!

Hello all,
I was at a recent show and meet several owners in my area (5 ) new cars that are not in our usual group of FF, Superfomance, Backdraft etc.. I walked up to an unknown owner that just parked next to me and began to ask about his car and what Specific Points his manufacturer had built into his car that he felt were important. My reason for question was to learn good and bad points of all builders. I thought he saw I had car next to his but did not make that point clear enough I guess.
Conversation began with: make sure you only buy from manufacturer that uses ONLY all Ford products if it is to have ANY value when completed, bla bla. I did point out Right then I had the Corvette chassis and chevy powered car next to him so as not to ambush him. My car is inspired by the Cobra but clearly not intended to be a reproduction TYPE car and was intended to stand on its own. I also stated I was asking these questions to allow me to build a product with the best of all and try to avoid things each manufacturers owner (end user ) would change if they could.
This thread is not an add and no names to embarras nextdoor neighbor at show. The purists of builders are great and I have been there with Vette's in the NCRS life myself and would have killed for just 1 more point back then. My point is if you have a glass body car with Mustang 2 parts and an new 5.0 injected motor and CD player and 20 inch wheels what is this back of the bus $hit for running a chebbie?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile 1960's

I THINK IT GOES BACK TO THE 60's WHEN COBRA WAS BEATING THE VETT'S AT THE TRACKS. WE FORD LOVERS HAD A CAR THAT COULD BEAT GM. I LIKE VETTS BUT LOVE FORD. I WOULD NEVER PUT A 460 IN A VETT BODY!!!!!!!!! MAYBE A 350 IN A 32 FORD IS OK!! BUT NEVER A MOPAR OR GM IN A COBRA. AND IF I DID PUT A VIPER MOTOR IN A SNAKE BODY, I WOULD NOT TELL ANYONE!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ever seen a Ford powered Vette? I haven't, and thats fine with me!

Nor do I care to see a Chevy powered Cobra (replica or not). Build whatever you want, but don't expect ME to admire your "cookie cutter" approach to enigne choice.

Personally I'm sick of seeing Chev small blocks, they EVERYWHERE. There show ZERO imagination, talk about "been there done that". Wheres the challenge? There better engines, blah blah blah, sick of hearing that to!

Some of the folks down under do it with a certain "flair", there interesting, different in their approach. I hate it (the Chev application), but I admire it at the same time.

The little Buick V-6 is also an interesting approach, different, interesting. Who knows WHAT you might find under the hood of a European Cobra! In Europe, thats OK, tis better to have SOME Cobra than none. But I sure admire Wilf Leek with a genuine Ford V8 in his Cobra! Move that man to the front of the bus!

Another "Hot Rod" with Chev power? Yawn,,,,,,,,,,,,,boring! I understand the "logic", and being a free country I don't have to like it,,,,,,,and don't!

Ernie
Old 10-12-2003, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

It all depends who is driving the bus.

TURK
Old 10-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie,
I asked for your reponse and thanks but a 90's 5.0 Mustang transplant is just as boring but I do offer Ford motor plates and mounts so you can install the big or little Ford motor. Vette frame is 98 inch wheelbase plus 5 inches wider than most and with IRS rear and 4 wheel disc brakes and every performance suspension part made is available as a bolt in replacement. Stock handling is pretty impressive with bigger footprint and some 30 years of technology updates. I went full track ready route on suspension. Front coils replaced with mono fiberglass spring ,tube upper and lower control arms with modified geometry and 14 inch rotors. Hand built adjustable shocks and 4 corner weight jacks. The motor selection in mine is an aluminum Dart 542 inch stroker, injected on gas now, alky for the street was just too much hassle. So did not go the cookie cutter approach by any means. My question or point was more from trying to understand the nose in the air ( if it is not 100% copy of Shelby why bother). I am not now nor have ever tried to build a COPY/CLONE or tried to fool anyone. I build a toy inspired by the awsome looks and lines of Cobra and thats it. I do not think that makes this any less an expression of me or my toy. You do not have to love it but would like it if after looking it over said it was clean and a quality build with some good ideas even if you do not know what to call it.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A 90's Ford 5.0 is indeed boring!!

I got to get to work on that thing! The car I got coming will be a total "daily driver" approach, never see the track with this one.

Easy maintainence, good gas mileage, comfortable A/C, hard top. A "show car" (oh man, I've become a waxer). Maybe I'll add some more chrome as time goes on, perhaps a Vortech. Something more to "spice it up".

I DO expect to take some "flack" with the small block, comes with the territory. If the car is "exceptional" that will be OK. Same thing applies to a Cobra without Ford power, expect to take some "flack". IF the the car is "exceptional", you can get around that.

We all have different goals. I admire those guys that go for pure "period correct" in their Cobra. While I love MY car, I will move "to the rear" for theirs, and gladly so.

Hey, you can park next to me, on the back row and we'll make fun of the front row guys and what "fanatics" they are. They'll be up front talking about the guy in the back with freekin' A/C in his car, whats up with that???

I'll take it in stride, and admire all the Cobras there!

Ernie
Old 10-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All in all we are coming from the same place or maybe just real close. I do respect and admire a near 100 % period correct car for what it is and how much work it took to get there. The rebel in me holds the same place for a toy that is inovative, clean and done right.
I am buildinng a pump gas driver car so we can do parades, longer poker runs or whatever but I am still addicted to the impracticle and trying to figure out how to drive 2 cars to each event.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     
Talking

I think you should be making that glass cobra body to fit the new C6 and putting a Ford engine in it would be bad. Actually the pictured Cobra above probably comes with a Ford engine which makes it much closer to a Replica Cobra.
Dan
Old 10-18-2004, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

Dan, is there a picture of the whole car anywhere? That guy in Atlanta that is looking for a Cobra for his wedding would go nuts over this. What a perfect limo for the wild side.

Vettestr, Ford vs Chevy is no different than Big-Block/Small-Block, Manual/Auto, Fuel inj./carb, live axle/IRS, etc., etc., etc. The purists have their view, so do the others. For me, I did the Ford because it is more "correct", even if it is a small block. I wish I could have done a Chevy. I could have twice the HP for the same price or the same HP for half the price! I was also afraid that my car may get organ donor rejection if I put in a Chevy!
The bottom line is that it should be what makes you happy. The re-sale value of these cars is directly related to period correctness and power-plant, so the all Ford Big Block makes a difference in that arena. If you got the car because it was a long time dream, you probably wouldn't even think about ever getting rid of it.
These are a great bunch of guys in the Cobra circle, the people associated with this crowd are different than most other "car" groups. Don't let a couple "back of the bus" guys let you form a sterotype opinion of us. If you can drive fast, tell tasteless jokes, bust everyone's balls, and drink in excess at all gatherings, then your OK in my book.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mr. Dan,
We offer Ford engines big or small block config's also but our build is more of a hotrod than a replica. With your long history and owning Toys with backward distributor I know you been there done that !! I would like to be chauffeured around in the car you posted. My days of drinking and driving are long past. Lets go party and leave the driving to James!
Old 10-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tfarhood,
I enjoy the heck out of life and my cars are a big part of that. Not a better group of car nuts anywhere as you stated. Been building these and other toys for a while and if my concept or kit is not for you I'll give ya a ride to another builder if you want. But hang on tight cause were going to have fun getting there!!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

As you can see I'm driving around in a 1983 Corvette that looks like a 1965 Cobra with a 454 Chevy engine.
Dan
Old 10-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CobraDan,
I have photos of your Elegant you sent me some time ago on a disc somewhere. I think she looks great, but want to know where you are hiding the second 1983 Vette? Are there any more Elegants in your Deep South Club?
What intake manifold are you running as it does look like a Winters because of coolant plug by T-stat housing. It clearly allows hood so all info on manifold would be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The GM 454 V8 (366250) is the blast-from-the-past LS-6 crate engine from Chevy that powered the 1970 Chevelle SS and Corvette to automotive immortality. It's based on a four-bolt block,with a forged crank,steel rods and forged 10.2:1 pistons. A street mechanical lifter cam pops the valves open inside iron tectangular-port, open-chamber heads. And that aluminum high-rise intake manifold isn't just for decoration. I added the carburetor, exhaust and ignition systems for the advertised 450HP. The manifold came with the crate engine from Chevy. This engine has been discontinued for some time now.
Dan