17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-31-2003, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Chevy Cobra Kicks Asp!

I have been looking for the right deal on a Ford engine to upgrade my Arntz and increase the power output. This weekend I get the new Kitcar magazine and what won the Run and Gun drag race? A 600 Hp, alcohol burning, small block (368 ci) Chevy Shell Valley Cobra.

Ain't life great! He beat the best of the mega-buck, aluminum big block cars (one of them producing 850 HP) with a 10.31 pass.

Maybe, I'll just leave the Beast alone!?!

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-04-2003 at 10:10 AM..
Old 03-31-2003, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default Um, I don't think it matters if it's a sb or BB..

IMO, all other factors equal, what matters most is HP/torque/running gear... and who is behind the wheel
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 03-31-2003, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Running on Alchol vs a pump gas motor? I would expect it to run better and I would say the car was set up for drag racing. Chevy motors are ok but Cobra with a 302 will bring more than the same car with a 350 chevy.

If you really want a Chevy motor build a Grand Sport replica. Or hop up a old Camero.

I think it is bad taste to put a chevy motor in a old Ford or Plymouth.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Speaking of Grand Sport replicas, guess what won the road course competition at R&G. Yep, a GSR with a 434 sm block Chevy dirt track type engine...running in the Pro BB class.

The Cobra wasn't set up for drag racing, as I remember it won the autocross at Topeka too. He was running an 18* head, aluminum block circle track engine out of his Late Model. He also runs a propane engine.

And the last time I checked, victory tasted sweet.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UUUUMMMMMM GOOOOOD!!!

Paul
Old 04-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     
Default Kicked asp..

Aumoore,
I respect your RIGHT to your thoughts about Bowties in Cobras etc.. As a past builder of NCRS Corvettes where the wrong color crayon markings or type of hose clamp would cost you pionts I have been there. I also enjoy the other end of that spectrum of Toys not intended to be exact replications or clones. Craftsmanship and quality of the build are my points of intrest and I am not to proud to steal any cool idea or technique I can find. I do draw the line at seeing maybe a Toyota engine under a Cobra hood. We are maybe closer in opinion just have different boundries.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,

Have you seen the Toyota Hemi V8? It was produced for Limos and ambulances. I saw a street rod with one and it was nice! I agree with your point of view though. The sight of a VW engine in the back of a Cobra just annoys the heck out of me.

Paul
Old 04-04-2003, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler '65 AC Cobra original replica, replica Ford SBC Engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by aumoore

Chevy motors are ok but Cobra with a 302 will bring more than the same car with a 350 chevy.

If you really want a Chevy motor build a Grand Sport replica. Or hop up a old Camero.

I think it is bad taste to put a chevy motor in a old Ford or Plymouth.

you funny guy
Old 04-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hemi ??

Paul, I have not seen a Toyota hemi but do run an alky funny now and in an earlier life raced blown alky flatbottom drag boats for years. Wish I had 1/2 the money or even a couple of bucks for all the old 392's grenaded over the years. Now run a 542 inch chevy in my Cobra and a Keith Black in the TA/FC. Ilove the people and the shows we do. Looking forward to the Knottsberry show this next week-end.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

There are a few Toyota powered Cobras down here and they are a force to be reckoned with. The Lexus Quad cam 32 Valve 4.0 litre V8 makes good power in naturally aspirated form and an easy 500HP+ with a couple of Turbos. All of this on a stock long block too.

Cheers

Old 04-05-2003, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Chevy Cobra Kicks Asp!

Vettestr:

Whats wrong with a well built 392 Ford, surely reliability could be tied in with who built the engine, nowadays with all the good quality bits available there shouldn't be much difference between Ford and Chev.

I will have to say the factory high performance BB Chevs are great, stong bottom end and high revving, but I have also owned SB Chev F5000 engines etc and these don't seem to be anymore reliable than the SB Ford, they all seem to die the more or longer you rev them!

Still trying to work out which Ford Windsor option I am going to shoot for, sounds like the best option for reliability may be the standard 351 stroke?

Ant
Old 04-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike and Ant, First response to Mike= WOW !!!! That power plant looks GREAT. I must admit my earlier post about Toyota's was directed at a stereotype or mental picture. My hat is off to the workmanship and style shown in your photo. As I said earlier I love to see quality and love of the true spirit of building TOYS. Ant = I was speaking of the old steel 392 Chrysler hemi not the Ford 392. BUT there is nothing wrong with the Ford 392 or any other C. I. motor. Each has its own weakness when pushed to the outer limit but thats what it is all about. Take what you have and make it better for your intended use. You always pay a price in some form or the other for your choice. If you build some obscure or out of the mainstream motor it will be more $$ or have to make your own parts to get where you want to be. If you go with the ( everybody has one ) parts are cheaper and easy to get but maybe the price is also limited driveability or range. My engine is in that group. I must have a min. of 112 octane and it loads up if crawling along in a parade with heat always a concern. A stock create engine would solve all of those issues but that is not my thing. So I pay the price...
Old 04-05-2003, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default 392 Engine

Jeff, when you mentioned all the old 392 engines you have blown over the years, I sorta guessed these stroker Fords may not have been out that long!

Good post thanks - Ant
Old 04-05-2003, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Jeff,

I don't know who owns the Lexus powered cobra but I do know the guy who built it. Scott (OZVENOM) does some beautiful work and is responsible for much of the work on Craig's (750HP) awesome 800HP+ supercharged ford powered Cobra.

Cheers

Old 04-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike ,
Ya gotta love a nice ride. I notice your from down under. I have always wanted to play in your neck of the world. Do you have many Cobras in the area?
Old 04-30-2003, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 2002 Motor is LS1 Aluminum 6 speed
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up fuel delivery

Great to hear about Chevy story. I have a Shell Valley car with LS1/6spd. Car runs and handles fine, however when the gas get 4 or 5 gallons down on a full tank it runs out of fuel. Basically sucks air just for a split second, but enough to stumble. The tank is probably not baffeled. Do you know of a replacement fuel cell that would fit in the right location where the other one was? My car is still in primer so no pics to send. It's 77 degrees and sunny here today. Thanks Jim
Old 04-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default The Shell Valley car

Seems to me he was running natural gas or propane last year in that car.

In my opinion it is your car, stick what you want in it. No one should think the lesser. Heck Shelby wanted the cars Chevy powered with fiberglass bodies. Consider it his dream realized

10.31, not the fastest one out there though! But WOW!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-30-2003, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Im sure his car is fast...You should ask him how much he has in his motor. Im sure a lot more than the average cobra builder spends.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

This was Run and Gun. His competition was not your average Cobra. Just asks anyone who knows Dave S. and his ERA.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ah what the heck,,,,,I think I'll buy an old Vette and drop a Ford engine in it......

Ernie